Agnostic.com

11 1

LINK Bangladesh starlet apologises after 'atheist' comments - Bangladesh Weekly

From The Article: FTA: Safa Kabir, an actress and model who has appeared in top Bangladeshi television dramas, told a private radio station this week she did not believe in the afterlife.

“I don’t believe in life after death. Actually, I never believe in what I can’t see,” she said, in comments that some took as a rejection of Muslim beliefs in heaven and hell.

The remarks caused a storm on social media, with footage of the interview going viral, and Kabir faced a torrent of criticism in the conservative Muslim country.

On Tuesday, the 24-year-old then posted an apology on Facebook, denying she is an atheist

zblaze 7 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Someone should let Safa know she can come to the US or UK. She can be herself here and not care if people disagree with her.

Glad I can admit I'm an atheist and just be ostracized instead of executed.

Wasn't John Lennon's murder, in the USA, committed by a religious nutcase?

twill Level 7 Apr 23, 2019

Just imagine.

Too bad she must hide her true nature.

too bad she has to recant. it happened to galileo too. most of us cannot imagine living in a world where we could be persecuted and even murdered for declaring our disbelief.

g

I feel sorry for her that she has to live in a country that it is not ok to say how you feel.

Fuck all religions! Muslims are the most backward but Christians have nothing to crow about except that they are the most hypocrites of them all, and Hindus, as backward and racist as their own white supremacist counterparts, fuck them all!

I hope she doesn't suffer for it. Even her non-apology was daring.

From the article:

"If I committed any mistake, I seek forgiveness from the most merciful. He is the most merciful and forgiving. He will definitely forgive me,” she wrote.

“If my words hurt any one’s belief, I am sorry for this and I ask for forgiveness,” she added in a post that quickly accumulated over 60,000 comments.

Atheism is largely taboo in Bangladesh. Many leading atheists have fled the country and are living in exile in the West.

Religion, and its enabler, government, so tolerant

twill Level 7 Apr 23, 2019

I’m afraid if she didn’t apologize, she’d risk losing her life. We all have choices to make about how open we can be.

In that circumstance, she did the smart thing. It's easy for us to bang the atheist drum.. it's probably not going to destroy our personal or professinal life. Let her be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336197
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.