Agnostic.com

30 7

LINK Why Is It Difficult to Get Christians to Care About the Earth? | Sojourners

It's my opinion that m,any Christians want to see the world destroyed, because they think it will force god's hand to make Jesus return.

snytiger6 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is actually not difficult to get Christians to care about the environment -- or to not care. It just depends on what concepts from the Bible you cherry pick / emphasize.

Fundamentalists are generally Dominionists, and believe the earth is theirs to use as they please. They also believe in a fearful, vengeful, all-powerful deity who they say controls the environment in much the same way that their ancestors thought the deity responsible for weather events. As such, this all-powerful deity would never cede control of the environment to humans, and besides, humans are far too puny to change the weather (this is one of the ways they conflate climate and weather, but I digress).

So it is to them just an expression of godless hubris that wretched humans could "control" the "weather".

On the other hand, many, maybe even most, cultural Christians are taught that the environment and the earth and the animal kingdom are not a dominion for us to rule over, but a stewardship for us to be responsible for. This implies that we could fall down on the job and that we would fail the living things that depend on us not to fall down.

So in my town for example you have the Episcopalians and Unitarian-Universalists having all sorts of kum-by-yah moments about saving the environment, the latter even chaining themselves to the entrance gate of a local fracking facility in protest. While across town the conservative Baptists are as I describe above and the Presbyterians are somewhere in between, representing the clueless corporate types who are focused on making money, not on what the knock-on effects might be.

Or to put all the above another way: Christians are all over the place on the environment just like everyone else -- only for even more irrational reasons.

That is most certainly how it appears.

Some do because they believe in being good stewards of the earth God gave them. Others really don't care because they are hardcore believers in Armogeddon and thus are just waiting for that to happen or them to die so they can see Jesus. To them the planet and environment are temporary anyway and don't matter.

For too many, this life is insignificant.

when you put power in heaven instead of on the earth, you don't care too much about the earth..and the "heavenly" power then becomes the realm of the earthly powerful..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336300
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.