Agnostic.com

59 4

If applicable, how did you quit smoking?

I'm ready to quit smoking but have found it more difficult than the first go-around. How did you quit and did it stick?

• 22 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
ashortbeauty 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I only smoked lightly for a year or two. Still, it was hard to totally quit. I still bummed cigs when drinking in smoky bars for years (but that would be only 1 cig a week on average). Haven't even done that for decades now. No matter how you do it, do it! Not only is it unhealthy, but basically your money is supporting evil corporations.

I went into a program in Toronto that gives you free patches. I was able to quit for 6 months. I am smoking again and it looks like I will have to go cold turkey. That was my first attempt to quit. I also have read that sometime it takes two or three attempts until you get it right. I will keep on trying until I get it right. It is such an insiduous habit, worse than drugs.

I entered a nicotine clinic (CAMH). They provided the patches for free. It took me like a couple of months and I quit. I even flew to New York City with my daughter to visit family and friends and had no urge to smoke. 6 months later I had a few problems. like my ceiling in my condo was leaking rain water. I was desperate and one thing led to another and I picked up a cigarret and started to smoke again. I am not sure if that program will take me again. They even said that it takes several tries to quit until it becomes permanent. I will try to quit again. I am smoking a lot less now. My ceiling was repaired. Actually it was more than one apt in the building with this problem. But I was the only one to formally complain to the condo board and led the fight for a water free bedroom and problem was resolved to my satisfaction but the smoking came back with a vengeance.

Giving up smoking is not easy. Don't beat yourself up if you can't. One day the time will be right but the anxiety of not giving up gives the power straight back to the weed and compounds the situation.One day you will decide and you'll never smoke again. As the old adage goes, 'don't give up giving up'

Wellbutrin (Bupropion)

One on one hypnosis session. I stated reasons why I wanted to quit and the therapist used those same words/phrases during the session. She told me that if I started smoking again, hypnosis would not work the second time around. I had zero cravings afterward. That was in 1997.

JGal Level 7 Dec 20, 2018

Niquitin mini lozenges

I used to quit every year or two just to be sure that I could, that was long before nicotine patches existed. The last time was so tough that I never went back. But always in my mind was that vid.

I just stopped just over 20 years ago and had no problem with it. I stopped boozing at the same time with no problem at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.