Agnostic.com

9 2

Unequally yoked

I’ve been an atheist for 6 months now, and my “evangelical” attitude has not diminished. I’m having a tough time staying quiet which produces an in pleasant result. My heart aches watching my whole family throw their time and money at something that is silly: Christianity. I guess my question is, is there anyone else out there that is further along in their journey to give advice?

Mark165 2 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only person you will ever really change is yourself. When you accept that fact, you will feel less stress.

I'm about a year in myself. I would just work on yourself for right now and work on deprogramming yourself. A good video to watch on Youtube is Christian dilemmas. It talks about all the bs in the bible from a historical perspective.

Others have given you pretty good advice. I'll add that you should try to find something that takes the time and effort your faith did. Like heroin or stamp collecting. Up to you.

Leave them alone is a journey they must take to believe or disbelieve

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 30, 2019

Learn to mind your own business, you & those around you will all be happuer.

I’ve been an athiest my whole life and have never been bothered by the beliefs of others. Let them to their beliefs the same way you would hope they let you to your non-belief.

I have been an atheist forever (not literally), and I've learned that religious brainwashing is deeply ingrained. The clergy has been trained in indoctrination techniques for two millenia, and they're damned good at it. They start at birth and teach that you cannot question god, basically controlling minds before they can think critically.

Having served 11 years in the military, I've seen the similarities in how they indoctrinate their recruits.

JimG Level 8 Apr 29, 2019

As a Christian for 30 years, The indoctrination/brainwash is extremely ingrained. You are taught that God uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise and that if you even question god then you will commit the unpardonable sin and go to hell. I mean jeez how much more threatening can that be. Over the years I have questioned Christianity but the programming makes you feel guilty instead of curious. It took being married to a narcissist for 10 years and having a near death experience to get me to question everything in my life and look at the truth. The truth is that religions like Christianity work because people believe they work. People do not believe what they see. They see what they have already believed in their mind. If you believe that by going to church then good things happen then you have basically self hypnotized yourself into that. The thing is that you can do the same thing without church too.

Give it some more time and evageical part of you will fade. I know it's hard to break away from religious bs and being the only member of your to be an Atheist. I'm the only one in my family of fairly religious people. Take it one day at a time, because everybodies journey on the path of enlightenment is different.

Thank you for the kind words. The present moment is a beautiful thing

I'm going thru similar process. I don't know that I could be considered atheist but I do believe that religion is bullshit. You're basically self hypnotizing yourself into believing something

@abyers1970 Take it one day at a time. Everyones journey is different and try to find some peace along the way.

i don't consider that my job. unlike some christians, do not feel i must save everyone. let people be. if your family is happy as they are, as long as they're not trying to make you be something you're not, why try to make them be something they're not? my guy watches wrestling two nights a week. i think it's stupid. he enjoys it. i leave him alone.

g

You make a good point! Old habits die hard I guess

@Mark165 six months is the blink of an eye; you can certainly be forgiven for, um, reverting isn't quite the right word; let's say just having the old feelings pop up but wrapped around new content. you'll relax into it by and by. don't worry! be happy! oh wait, that's a song. well, it applies anyway!

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:338922
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.