Agnostic.com

16 14

Please use your turn signals when driving

Today as I approached a busy roundabout, a pickup truck entered the roundabout driving toward me. He did not signal his intentions. I watched his truck suspiciously.

"Is he turning left, right or going straight?" I wondered. Cars stopped behind me. If he was turning right or going straight, I could have continued straight through the intersection.

Sure enough, he turned left in front of me. Glad I stopped.

Please use your turn signals.

LiterateHiker 9 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People are getting better about turn signals around here. Of course we have people that keep them on just in case they might turn in the next 6 blocks.

Also, please bear in mind that hazard indicator lights (both turn signals flashing at the same time) are intended to warn other users of a genuine hazard, such as your car having broken down in traffic. They're not there so you can do really stupid things such as stop in heavy traffic for no reason, reverse up access ramps following a wrong turn, do U-turns where not permitted and so on.

Jnei Level 8 May 4, 2019

A common question to a learner is "If you are following a car and the left indicator is flashing what does that tell you". The correct answer is " It tells me that the indicator lights on the car are working".

Roundabouts are so rare in the USA that he maybe didn't know what the proper procedure was.

@Moravian

In Washington State, drivers can be ticketed for failure to signal. He was breaking the law and being discourteous. Don't make excuses for his behavior.

Roundabouts are not rare in Washington State. They are used to control the flow of traffic.

@LiterateHiker I'm not. I'm commenting on the different road layouts and rules of the road in the USA.

One I could never get used to was the taking turns to cross at crossroads on minor roads. So much is left to trust.
I was in Idaho with some friends from the East visiting a friend of theirs. We were returning home in the dark and at a crossroads.. the driver thinking it was one of those crossings was about to drive over and the local resident shouted "No don't go". . With her local knowledge she was aware that the other road was considered to be the main road and drivers on it had right of way. We were very close to being wiped out.

A crazy system. Put in more roundabouts.

Maybe rare where you are,in the small part of Ohio I live in I know of three

@WayneDalton A whole three. I covered around 6000 miles on a road trip down the west coast and back to the East and I think I encountered about three in the whole trip and they were on a road just outside Sedona in Arizona.

Admittedly we have gone a bit overboard in the UK with mini roundabout on every minor junction with roads so narrow that you have to drive over them instead of round them but at least it lets you know who has right of way.

Turn signals should almost always be used. Roundy rounds are confusing. Especially if you are not sure which turn to use. You use your blinker for the next turn. Not the right one, and you cancel. Think the next one is your turn. Have to cancel it again. Now it's the 3rd turn, and it is the one you want. They don't know if you are turning or what. Those suck in a semi.

I almost always use my signal. One big exception rather than the rule was when I lived in Phoenix. You'd look in your mirrors to switch lanes. You have a safe merging distance. Throw on your blinker, and BAM! The asshole speeds up so you can't get in. That happened extremely often. Think most NYC cabbies use them?

Here's a bit by Carlin.

I always use them but I drive school bus and you always want to let the other drivers know what you're doing. I see plenty of goofy driving. Today there was an older woman making a left hand turn who was in the left lane except it was a two lane road and she was in the oncoming traffic lane. I watched her turn and then proceed to hug the right in the bike lane going about 10 miles an hour. Should not even be allowed to have a license.

Always! You can't read my mind and I can't read yours. It is that simple.

I find that most people who DO use their turn signals, use them improperly. They turn them on right at the time they start turning. They’re supposed to be used to signal INTENT to turn, I.e., about 6-7 blinks BEFORE one turns.

Many decades ago I was riding my 50cc Honda bike downtown. A woman was in the right turn lane with her right turn signal on as we were approaching the intersection. I was in the left lane - which was the thru or left turn lane. As I pulled up alongside her (she was slowing for turn and I was going straight), I had a gut feeling that all was not what it seemed. So I eased back just enough to get behind her laterally - and sure enough - she turned LEFT - right in front of me. Never saw me.

I use mine at every turn possibility. Even parking lots. even turning into my own driveway. If something DOES happen, at least I can tell the officer i used my turn signal. Might make a huge difference in court...

@Santanaman9

Me, too. It's a safe habit.

If I am in a right or left turn only lane, I do not use my signals...it is redundant...the rules for traffic circles are odd...here, the person on the driver's left has the right away if they are already in the circle...signals are not required but sure appreciated...

I turn my signals on even when I pull into my own driveway...better to over do it than under do it ...also, lights are not for seeing all the time...it is to be seen...nothing is worse that an dark car at dusk with no lights...ugh

Is this a polemic on life or ...?

If you'd not stopped he would have waited.

@chazwin

What makes you think that?

You can't afford "maybes" when you are biking in traffic. Some drivers are patient enough to stop and others are anything but.

@alliwant What bike?

@alliwant, @LiterateHiker People most often obey protocols when others know what they are doing.You sound like you do not.

@chazwin

I do not do what? Observe protocols? Or read the driver's mind?

@LiterateHiker In my experience Americans are piss useless at understanding what to do at a roundabout. If it was your right of way, why did you hesitate? People are busy and want to get on.
I don't know where Winatchee is, but where I learned to drive in LA I only ever saw one roundabout, and people were going round it both ways. Where I learned to drive in the UK roundabouts are very common and people know what to do.

@chazwin

I stopped because that dumbfuck was driving toward me without signaling. It's wise to be careful.

...a reason to stay out West.. I’ve spent a lot of time on the road over East - and these (damn) people ..will not signal! Was pulled over driving a daughter to the orthodontist cuz a cop ‘didn’t see me signal’ a lane change in OR. I did, and he believed me.

‘Over here,’ it’s frustrating beyond description watching some asshole drift into a neighboring lane, pull a move as you described, or ignore common courtesy - let alone safety. Undercover cops are thick on the interstates ... but it doesn't appear to be enforced.

In VA, a third of them are on the (phuckin) phone, too 😕

Varn Level 8 May 3, 2019

Bad drivers are everywhere. For that matter, we all screw up once in a while even when we're generally pretty good drivers. So cut the poor asshole some slack.

@jerry99 As I never went on to actually become a cop ..there’s not much I can do but cuss. Now if I were a cop, an entire state of assholes would be unwillingly contributing for their consistent and blatant disregard for the law and fellow drivers..

You need to pull him over and tell his bringer fluid is low. Signal lights not working lol

@RoyMillar

What do you mean, pull him over? I'm not a police officer. Are your suggesting I run him off the road? No way.

No it was meant as a pun..joke in our area when some one s not using there signal lights ,you tell them jokingly that they should have there Blinker fluid check ,really no such thing but a few people do beleive you ,few garages have had people stop in and asked to have it topped up lol go figure

As I was leaving a stores parking lot today, the van in front was backing up with no back up lights,fuses blow,bulbs burnout, but a considerable amount of money was spent designing and making turn signals,why not use them??

Some to people are to lazy to use there turn signal. It's another reason why this world is so fucked up and seems it's not going to change for the better.

No shit been there

Yes, some people are very inconsiderate that way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341389
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.