Agnostic.com

42 6

What was your favorite story book as a kid?

Explain what it was about your favorite story

paul1967 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me it was the "Hardy Boys".

The Velveteen Rabbit

The hobbit

"Where the wild things are"

The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe

I also read all the CS Lewis books, but Heinlein was my favorite.

I adored books but other than the Henry Huggins series I loved Harriet the Spy.

Where the Wild Things Are. The artwork still gets me to this day.

That book was magical. My imagination was energized by that book.

@paul1967 A dear couple friend of ours had their baby's room walls painted with the trees by an artist. It's freaking amazing.

@Qualia It's funny you say that because my girlfriend does that type of art and she has her son and daughters room like that. It's absolutely amazing. I wish I had a picture of the room on my computer, but I do have sketches she used to paint the walls.

@paul1967 Wow that is fantastic! Love it!

Never read the book but have the blu-ray - not my favorite movie but I imagine the book is significantly better.

@NoMagicCookie Well Santa is just going to have to send you the book Mark! LOL

@Qualia Ok, I'll read the book. 🙂 Rather sure it can be found in the local library - - possibly even the small one I service.

@NoMagicCookie it's beautiful

@paul1967 that is amazing.

I liked The Hardy Boys.

I didn't get to have kids books. The Nancy Drew series was hugely popular when I was in grade school but I didn't get to read a single book. So as revenge, when my oldest granddaughter hit the right age I bought her every single Nancy Drew I could find.

I usd to read the Famous Five books by Enid Blighton - and lots of childrens non-fiction, especially any books about things with engines.

"Half Magic" by Edward Eager. Still one of my favorites.

The Once and Future King by T.H. white

The Children's Encyclopædia by Arthur Mee. OK, it wasn't just a story book, but it had stories in it. It also suited a wide range of ages, with all kinds of interesting stuff about how things work and the planets and things to make and do, and elementary French. It was published during the first part of the 20th century and had 10 volumes. (It had Bible stories, too, but I skipped those chapters — I got quite enough of that at Sunday school.) I spent hours at a time with it.

Lady Chatterley's Lover

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. Also the first sci-fi I ever read.

I'm currently re-reading Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Deutsche Heldensagen German Hero tales.

I really don't recall there being any when I was a kid in the 50's. I do recall a story we read in the fifth grade but not what it's title was. It was a dog story. The dog's name was Lieutenant. Much later on, as an adult, but the kid in me loves "The Little Prince", "The Velveteen Rabbit" and the "The Giving Tree".

SamL Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

The ghost of fossil glen. I even got an old copy for my birthday when I turned 24. I read it so much growing up that the librarian gave me one, but it was already old and worn out, and it didn't last long. When my mom heard me mentioning it, she surprised me 6 months later with it. I was really happy.

It's about a young girl who cleans a headstone that was old and crumbling, and finds a journal in her old antique desk. The journal belonged to a young girl whose headstone she cleaned. She becomes determined to find the body and the killer, who was still at large.

It was really deep and disturbing for a book written for 10 year olds...but that's what I liked, that it treated the reader like an adult

Oh all the books, The Tin Soldier sticks out in head. I loved the art in that book - especially during his travels from sewer back to the ballerina.

The Little Engine that Could

To be honest, it was the Chronicles of Narnia. I loved that series and read it many times.
My favorite book from the series was The Horse and His Boy. It was kind of like my own personal fantasy. In the book, Shasta, the main character runs away from his abusive father and goes on a quest with a talking horse to find Narnia, where the horse is from. In the process, he saves Archland from the Calormenes and discover that he himself is a prince.
There are moments in the book that have stuck with me my entire life. For example, Shasta has a conversation with Aslan about an event that happened to his friend. She was harmed, and he wasn’t. Aslan told him that that was “her story,” not his. That has stuck with me my entire life. When I watch how life can be so “unfair,” I realize, that we all have a story, and it’s different for each one of us. That doesn’t mean we don’t have compassion, as Shasta did for his friend, but it means that each one of us has (or is) a story, and that can be very different from the person sitting right next to you.
While I no longer wish I were a prince, and it’s not necessary to run away, I do still think of what it would be like to have a conversation with Aslan about my own struggles and the life that seems to have found great pleasure in kicking my ass.

The LIttle House books. I was fascinated by the [cleaned up] pioneer life.

Doctor Suess, Green eggs and ham. Then all of Doctory Suess.

Anything by Dr. Seuss. Dick and Jane and Spot. Was a voracious reader as a kid (it was a way to tune my parents out)so hard to pick out many in particular.

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.