Agnostic.com

15 0

Do diets work?

I came accross this guy in England who claims that on any given diet we are less than 10% likely to succeed. His definition of success was losing the weight but also keeping it off. His claim is that out of the 90% unsuccessfull dieters, most of them will lose a little bit of weight to start with, but as soon as they relax they over ate again, and usually weigh more than when they started. This seems to suggest that dieting is in part, causing obesity.

It all sounded interesting to me, but I could not find any real data/evidence to back any of these claims up. Only anecdotal evidence. Does anyone know of where I could find real data/evidence about diets and how successful they are.

RobH86 7 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Diet" is a dirty word. Eating for your health is a better approach, and it WORKS. Most diets work on the concept of deprivation. Low-fat, deprives you of fats, many of which are essential to good health--even (especially, in many cases) the ones that are "bad for you" such as saturated fats. Low-carb/Keto deprives you of carbohydrates which are, again, essential in our diets. The key is balance. Get balance, and your diet works to support a healthy body, naturally, because you are providing every cell with the raw materials to thrive.

It's not an answer to your question, but generally speaking, unless the diet is permanant, you'll gain the weight back when you slack from it, assuming your exercise routine stays the same. My experience is to change your eating habits permanently. Example: No red meat. I lost 20 lbs. with that change alone, and I've lost a lot more than that by giving up other fatty/high calorie foods.

Best of luck.

I think our world is overly obsessed with the obesity issue. I know people are getting fatter, but I'm SO over it. Everybody has their opinion about diets and you know what they say about "opinions". I have always eaten whatever I want in moderation and I think that's where a lot of people run into problems. Instead of a bag of chips, eat a handful and put them away. We have food all around us, at our fingertips, but just because it's there, doesn't mean control goes out the window....just use common sense!

Consume less than you burn and you will lose weight, the work or not work is in the individual.

I think most "diets" are doomed to fail simply because they aren't really balanced and don't address balanced nutritional needs of our bodies. If you want ot lose weight, you have to exercise. You can starve yourself thin, but it isnt' healthy and you will regain the weight. However, exercise is only part of it. You need to eat nutritiously. That means aboid all processed foods and eat foods in their mos tnatural state. Processed foods pretty much has the nutrition processed out of them, but retains the calories. Calorie rich goods with little or no nutritional value are called "empty calories". Your body craves nutrients, not calories. We evolved to crave tastes whioch in our past, before the age of agrivulture provided nutrients to our bodies. Thsoe tastes are sugar, salt and fat. Processed foods provide those tastes, but nto hte nutrients we woudl get if we got those same tastes form natural foods. East a wide varity of natural foods and exercies and you will lose weight, if tha tis your goal. Exercise is needede because if you stored fat, that is stored energy that neds to be furned off. If yu eat nutritiously, you will automatically be eatign fewer calories. Vegetarians and vegans have to eat more in quantity to get enough calories. That line aloen shoudl give you a clue on how to lose weight in a healthy way.

@MrLizard Processed foods can be really bad for you. For instance most "fat free" products have "hydrogenated" oil. That does nto occur anywhere in nature and it damages your arteries in such a way that you'd do better just consuming saturated fats (natural and unprocessed) than eating anything "hydogenated."

My only criticism of weight watchers is that although they direct you to eat more nutritious foods, they don't explain about nutrition and calories. i think part of that is because they want to sell their foods and some are calorie rich, but dont' really habe the nutritional value to justify the amount of calories.

Just remember the driving force behind any corporation is to make money. It is not to provide a quality product or to help make you healthy. Profit ALWAYS over rules those considerations.

Vegetarian men live an average of 9.5 years longer than their meat-eating counterparts and vegetarian women an average of 6.1 years longer. In studies, carnivores had the highest body weight for their age and vegans the lowest (an average of 30 pounds lighter), with vegetarians and semi-vegetarians falling in between. [livestrong.com]??

It would be interesting to see an actual scientific source for that information.

[independent.co.uk] @Meep70

@nicknotes Correlation does not equal causation, says I.

From the link you sent: "...caution should be exercised when interpreting the results, as other more complex social and environment factors could affect the results rather than being solely related to diet. For instance, vegans are more likely to be younger than the general population and therefore have much lower mortality rates. Similarly, vegans can be more likely to come from socially affluent backgrounds, which can also influence mortality risk."

This article offers several arguments to the contrary and is well-cited so you can easily locate the sources.

[westonaprice.org]

If you research the Weston Price foundation you will discover that they have a bias.@Meep70

@nicknotes Even taking bias with a grain of salt and looking to the peer-reviewed sources, my reading has found more alignment with their side. I do look at both sides of the coin before making a decision for myself. It merits saying that some do better in one lifestyle, health-wise, and some do better in the other.

Well we are all free to choose what food we will eat @Meep70

Eat less and do more and you will lose weight

Dieting can work. The stats show most diets are unsuccesful. But, the more often you try, the more likely you are to succeed. We are addicted to food. When you are born, you learn to like what you are fed. Many of us will not change our diet, because we do not eat things we don't like. However, if we eat a thing we don't like, we will learn to like it, and perhaps favor it. Similarly, if we stop eating something, we will break the habit and our taste for it. For example, I once loved cheeseburgers. But decided they were too much fat, and stopped. Several years later I took a bite of a cheeseburger, and felt like I was eating lard. The fat was awful. I've not had a bit of one since. People who eat the Mediterain diet live longer than people who eat most other diets; BTW the Japanese have a similar diet, and live long productive lives. Choose a diet known to be good for people if you intend to diet. I find that a salad a day keeps the hunger away. My wife says the same. A meat and potato diet doesn't satisfy as long as a big salad with green, yellow, blue, and red colors. I've lost more than 80 lbs, and still getting smaller. Good luck, it isn't easy.

I've dieted a few times in my life. They all follow the same cycle. 1) Religiously stick to the regime, and achieve success. Dropping a good amount of weight in the process. 2) Religiously stick to the regime, and my weight stays the same. 3) Start to become disillusioned. Begin breaking the rules here and there. Weight starts to creep back up. 4) Say 'stuff this for a game of soldiers', give up on the diet completely, and end up back at my original weight. The fact that I always end up around the same weight (about 250lbs, getting down to around 210 before things start to go wrong) I honestly believe that's my body's natural equilibrium. I've made peace with my sexuality, gender identity and weight. I just wish other people, who can see that the first two are no longer legitimate targets for hatred, could get their heads around the fact that the third shouldn't be, either.

Well, I never dieted, but I have changed my relationship with food. It was my drug of choice and caused me to balloon up to 300 lbs., where I stayed for many years.. I no longer use food as an emotional salve, and I've dropped about 75 lbs. in two years... Unfortunately, most diets, while they may initially help take the weight off, don't address lifestyle changes that help keep the weight down long-term, nor the psychological changes you go through when you find yourself in a new body... I still have to be very mindful of what and how I eat, and would like to still lose another 50-75 lbs or so. The good thing is that even with the weight I've lost, I'm more encouraged to looking at more excercise to incorporate into an overall healthier lifestyle.

love it

It all is about how you stick to it, and how our bodies adapt. For my best friends keto isn't a diet but a lifestyle (one they seem to be pushing like religion sheesh) but for me, any diet I try I fail. I did a juice diet for 5 months without losing a single pound. I did the phentramine diet, under strict doctor monitoring and again, did not lose any weight. (This is all on top of daily exercise) The only thing that has actually worked for me is my diabetes medication ironically. Now I'm losing pounds a day. It's lovely

I've lost around 80 lbs by cutting bread,pasta and refined sugar out of my diet, also yoga and hitting the gym(sometimes).

I try to think of "diet" as the way I eat and what I eat day to day. Awareness is a big help. I read labels and count calories when my weight seems to creep up. Stay away from sugar and a lot of bad fats, (learn which is which), and processed foods.Most health insurance have free programs to help stay slim and fit. Stay active and busy and plan ahead foodwise. Crash diets and Fad diets don't work well, but they do make a lot of money for a few people. Being Agnostics, we should believe in the science of nutrition and metabolism, calories in vs out. It works.

I agree we should base our opinions on what science is telling us. Of course fewer calories and more exercise is pretty much a garauntee to lose weight, but its sticking to process is where we tend to fail. The problem with dieting/calorie counting is that people say 'if you can't stick to it, we can't help'. For me that is like saying '10% of the time, it works every time'

It is far better, to eat mostly foods that you enjoy, from the fruits and vegetables, then small amts of meats. The most important part...even then is volume. Large servings of any foods, will not keep weight off (unless you are rare person, with revived-up metabolism). Plus, your stomach will be stretched, needing bigger portions! If your portions are kept small (within reason), your stomach will adjust and you will not experience the same hunger as when you stomach is larger.

If you follow them, they restrict you from certain foods.

I agree. The point I was making that less than 10% (according to my source) are capable of sticking to those restrictions.

It was a less than successful attempt at a joke. @RobH86

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.