Agnostic.com

56 8

If you knew that if you came out as an atheist that you would lose everyone you called family would you?

MayRebel 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not an issue for me. Came out in my teens.

Already did it, and the ones I "lost", I do not miss. The concept of "family" has nothing to do with DNA and everything to do with love and acceptance. Blood means nothing.

I couldn't have said it better... 🙂

No. I doon'tlet certain people in my family know for that exasct reason 😟

I’ve done it. Many no longer talk to me directly but those who actually took the time to listen and understand me are still close. If it only takes a different opinion for them to hate you, then I’d question the relationship.

When I came out as athiest my family talked to me more. More about converting me back. But to answer the question, I still would. I'd feel hurt but I'd rather be open with my thoughts and criticism.

Yes.

Hmmm I only came out to my immediate and closest family members. I had very mixed results. None disowned me, though some that I did not tell probaby would. At worst they thought less of me as a person, at best they didn't care. It is clear that I'm a much better person than the ones that thought less of me. I stopped trying to prove myself to them because I know that they are the ones with issues, not me. But if I had a bad feeling about telling anyone then I could probably see myself keeping quiet (I don't think I could do that forever) or start by asking them what they think about atheists and try to correct them if something they say is inaccurate, then if that worked, I'd tell them.

been there done that

I nealy have anyway but it has nothing to do with my beliefs

Sure, I would. If my family couldn't take me for who I am...they weren't really family to begin with. Family in theory is supposed to be tight knit groups, that build you up, and accept your faults etc, because they're your family haha. But if I lost everyone I'd rather be true to myself, than lie to keep bad company.

I would imagine is similar to those who come out as gay to their family some are accepting others are not.

Not sure about that comparison. I don't believe the stigma is anywhere near the same, js.

Yes if you lose friends then they where never really friends. If you lose family then the don’t truly love you.

Interesting I don’t hv that problem bcuz I lived in bigger cities. I noticed most in this group live in small town America.

Then they wouldn't be true family and friends in my eyes. If they are gonna cut ties with me over rather benign ideological differences, then fuck em. I have plenty of family and friends that span the spectrum of belief, but I still am able to get along with them because that one aspect of their life does not entirely define them. These people don't care about you if they are willing to cut ties with you over a non-belief in some deity, they care about their own image and reputation with others. I've seen many parents and folks pull this crap where they are afraid of the judgment of their peers if said peers found out their kids or friends were atheist. You're not part of the herd, therefore there is something wrong with you.

Absolutely, anyone who would turn their backs on me isn't worth having in my life. I've tolerated their beliefs, they owe me the same consideration.

For some people, labels mean everything. Saying you are an Atheist will sound different to them than if you say you no longer accept the Bible as science or history, you no longer wish to associated with the people who want a pedophile for president and a vice president who calls his wife "mother."

I don't know. Fortunately, I've never been in this position, because by the time I mentioned my atheism, I pretty much knew that my entire family was either atheist or didn't care.

Absolutely, they wouldn't really be family if that were the case.

Unfortunately, many Mormons, Scientologists and Jehovah’s Witnesses struggle with the same question. I think being honest with yourself is most important. I personally don’t mind standing alone in any circumstance where I’m challenged to defend my convictions. I totally understand why many would rather hide who they are, but I have one question to ask them. If your family and friends love you, why not give them the chance to love the real you? The more people who come out, the more acceptable it will become to do so. Those who can, should, so that those who can’t, may someday be able to.

Marz Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Yes, and I did just that over 60 years ago.

At this point, I would do just about anything to get rid of them

The thought of losing the dramas that come with some family members actually seems very appealing. However, soem family members are rational. So, Probably not if I lost the rational ones. I am totally out as an atheist. My attitude is if any family members disowned me, than good riddance. I doubt they woudl be there for me if I ever needed them anyway.

You won't lose anyone who really cares about you, but they may try to "save" your "soul." I could live without that.

JimG Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

Yep. It is the Risk I will take to avoid Losing myself because being me is Worth the Risk.

Probably not, but fortunately I did not have to deal with that as there are more A-theists in my family than theists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.