Agnostic.com

41 4

What music speaks to your soul (brain, heart, loins)? Aka evoking emotion. Good or bad. Talk to me...

Katastrophe1969 6 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Blues. Really low-down, dirty-grinding, make you wanna get sexy with somebody, Blues.

I'm cheesy AF. Blues,rockabilly, anything Irish,some pop and some classical.

@Katastrophe1969 I looooooove Flogging Molly.

Jazz. Especially Thelonious Monk. This is just about perfect:

Jnei Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

jazz is so perfect. LOVE LOVE LOVE jazz, especially on vinyl. Monk is amazing!

Indeed, jazz is it for me, too. Also soul and funk.

@mrcharlie65 There is something about jazz that really suits vinyl... even though the music is "set in stone" as it were while being recorded, it seems to somehow absorb the crackle and hiss and incorporate it into the rhythm. A friend of mine has a first imprint of Kind Of Blue which he bought for the not-exactly-princely sum of £5 - as you can imagine, for such an otherwise collectible record to be so cheap it looks like a cat has been ice skating on it - but it's a very interesting listen, almost like an alternative version.

Simon and Garfunkel. The protest and folk music of the 1970s. Much clasical music, particularly that which is powerful and.or melodic -- Max Bruch, Stravinsky, Copland, etc.

Blues,southern rock and grunge (Alice in Chains, Soundgarten and Nirvana-all good

Wow, how about Grateful dead Eyes of the World from Winterlan 10/19/74. Awaken from Yes' Going for the One. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, King Crimson's Lizard, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis, John Coltrane Africa Brass, Anything by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, a live opus from the Cowboy Junkies such as 32-20 blues, Lay it Down, Blue Guitar, dragging Hooks, etc. A classic Willie Nelson song like Buddy or Crazy. I could go on and on and on. Music is a huge part of my life. I have over 1200 lps that I keep adding to, have crazy Spotify playlists that amuse me to no ends( feel free to follow me at CF Daniels).

@Katastrophe1969 it is..and I feel very fortunate that I just started dating someone who has that same passion. and now the bliss of sharing that passion with someone!

@Katastrophe1969 just keep an open mind that that is what you want and you might just find it! I hope so!

Metal is my go to energy source but I enjoy lots of music!

@Katastrophe1969 two that show up in my play list with some regularity: Killswitch Engage

Atreyu
Also 5FDP, Motorhead, Slipknot, Fozzy, Tivium, Wolfheart, etc.... \m/ (with a nod to Dio 🙂 )

@Katastrophe1969 had heard of them but hadn't listened to them recently. It was fun to listen for a bit. Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

Throat singers..like Huur Huun Tur..awesome it rattles my bones..and it ain't metal..which can rattle me too..

I like many music genres; bluegrass, rock, pop, jazz, classic, K-pop, Thai pop, Thai traditional, Latin pop, Caribbean, Reggae, rap, African, R&B, Cuban salsa, etc. Luckily, I can listen to it all on accuradio.com, which streams music in multiple genres, and you can even make your custom radio channels. [accuradio.com]

Mainly hip hop, but really any kind of conscious music speaks to me Public Enemy Dead Prez Immortal Technique Brother Ali Aesop Rock Lupe Fiasco KRS-One - Boogie Down Productions Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star Killer Mike & El-P - Run The Jewels Lowkey After Hours Jedi Mind Tricks Ras Kass Canibus CunninLinguists Rage Against The Machine Kendrick Lamar J. Cole The Roots Atmosphere Dilated Peoples OutKast Del the Funky Homosapien Locksmith Sage Francis Greydon Square Syqnys Beast 1333

Love Aesop Rock, Run the Jewels, Rage Against the Machine, Kendrick Lamar. I'll be checking out the others I'm not familiar with. Thanks! If you're up for it, drop off a YouTube link to a few of your favs In the Eclectic Jams group.

@Fearlessfreep I didn't see that group, but here's some of my favorites by those not listed above

Even though I'm not a big fan of auto-tune, I do like this one

@Katastrophe1969 Thanks, my favorites by them are probably Roses and Walk Alone. I also dropped a couple dozen links here if you wanted to check them out.

For me, no comment is needed.

My music to relax by might be something like Enigma. When I'm with my friends, we like to dance to Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake or anything to get our blood flowing, even James Brown or Little Richard.

Rock’n’roll

Seductive

Enigma

I dissect just about everything i listen to in terms of music theory. 50s rockabilly, 60s surf, 70s powerpop and punk, 80s new wave.

Here's one that i would classify as power pop, though they were actually part of the late 70s New York CBGB's / Max's scene. Just a straightforward rock n roll song but with a sense of cool you don't hear in too much new music.

Chopin piano solos of all kinds. Puts me in another place. I love that a human could make such a beautiful thing, and that another human can play it and bring the person who wrote it back into this reality. Other classical piano as well. I also love good old rock and roll. Just makes me happy. Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bob Seger, LEON RUSSELL. Most real music moves me.

Where are you on Bach? JS, obviously; I mean the kids JC and CPE were no slouches, but JS is a god. The Well Tempered Clavier is a favourite of mine.

I am a progressive rock musician. So Yes, Genesis, The Moody Blues, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles..the list goes on and on.....

Emotion? For restless longing try this. Here's the best sung version imo of Rachmaninov's Vocalise. Many instrumental versions are also fantastic as well.

Usually it's classical music. Beethoven's Ninth is the pinnacle, but I find others as well. Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky have written pieces which absolutely transfigure me. Now that I've said that, some country songs reach down into my being as well. "Where've You Been" by Kathy Mattea is one, but there are others.

I'm not sure that I have a genre - but I have albums that when I first hear them they fill a hole in my heart that I didn't realise was there. Just two examples - Iron and Wine "The Creek Drank the Cradle"; Gillian Welch "The Harrow and the Harvest."

I love listening to tunes by the rat pack, performed in french...
Duo Guago, Pink Martini and others.

Alanis Morissette and her music really speak to me in mind and heart and soul. She writes and sings from the heart and her own experiences, and I feel like she is someone who would be able to understand and appreciate many things I've thought, experienced and felt. She's also recorded some beautiful love songs, where she also keeps it real.

This a very nice one:

@Katastrophe1969 I like the lines "this man knows not how this information has affected me/but he knows the color of the car I just drove away in" -- for me, it expresses the vulnerability, the fear of having to deal with the feelings so well.

Electro-bossa music, especially if the accent on a beat is particularly heavy, is good at stirring the loins.

Oh, so many choices! Why do you make me choose? A few that are known to evoke emotions for me: Emotional songs about parenting: Harry Chapin "Cat's In The Cradle" and Brandon Rhyder "Freeze Frame Time"; Lamenting love not yet found: The Corrs "Somebody For Someone"; Unselfish love, probably about a young adult child of the writer: Resless Heart "New York (Hold Her Tight)"; Silly and optimistic: Sarah Buxton "Outside My Window"; A ghostly love story: Michael Martin Murphy "Wildfire"; That is a very small cross section of an exceedingly large, eclectic, and ever changing list with elements that may be ephemeral and others that are anything but ephemeral.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34717
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.