Agnostic.com

34 21

11 Fast Facts about Christianity:

1.) The Bible is the world's bestselling book
2.) The Bible is the world's most shoplifted book
3.) Less than 2/3s of the public, 63%, can correctly name Genesis as the first book in the bible.
4.) 100 million copies of the Bible are sold or given away every year.
5.) About 50 Bibles are sold every minute
6.) US Bible sales range between $425- $650 million
7.) 95% of the world is reached through 2,426 languages
8.) Only 55% know that the golden rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” is not one of the Ten Commandments.
9.) The Americas have the largest majority of 86% Christians
10.) Worldwide 32% of the population are Christian
11.) Christianity has 2.3 billion adherents

Maybe we need to print more science text books and give them away?

[pewforum.org]
[economist.com]

silvereyes 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree, too depressing to contemplate. Still it just goes to show how with such a marketing onslaught, the competing world view of agnosticism/atheism is still making ground. The promotion of the scientific method of thinking needs more effort.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing. I was thinking it might be a good idea to get into the Bible-printing business — with some creative editing throughout, of course. Ha!

There is one. [skepticsannotatedbible.com].

Yes, statistics don't tell the whole story. I have been into many homes where the bible is kept on the bedside as a talisman. Some open the pages to ward off evil spirits. Some regard it as a guarantee that heaven awaits them because the good book is at hand. Interesting.

If one could evaluate the ratio between owning one and reading it, it would probably reveal that the bible is one of the most unread books.

Now if we could only get them to read the book... That might get them to back off trying to be all self-righteous about stuff they don't even know about.

I would like to know the ratio of how many people have read the Bible cover to cover to the number of copies in existence. I imagine it is very, very close to 0.

Rewritten novel.

Not sure all these facts are true I know 1 of them is wrong

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.