Agnostic.com

32 8

How do you answer the banal message, "Hey, how are you?"

I keep getting the same, stupid message from men thousands of miles away:

"Hey, how are you today?"

"Hi LiterateHiker, how was your weekend?"

"Hey, how are you doing today?"

How do you answer this mindless, throwaway question? How much detail do you go into?

I'm tempted to answer "Fine."

Intelligent men show they read my profile. They mention activities we have in common.

At the very least, they answer the pop-quiz at the end of my profile, and ask if they are right. This shows they read it.

LiterateHiker 9 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Banal greeting but if continues then suggestions about lips and foreskin lol

bobwjr Level 10 May 20, 2019

Unless friend inquiring about real problems

Typically the best response is none. You are right to insist that the effort be made to read your profile and acknowledge some aspects of it they find appealing. So the banal messages can serve as a useful screen to filter them out.

“Fine” was my first thought.. That all appears the price of putting yourself out there. It’s why I post just enough to keep myself unappealing 🙂

Varn Level 8 May 20, 2019

depends on how desperate you are. you're on a computer program seeking people so I wouldnt think you'd be overly picky. maybe you can use that vast intellect of yours to overlook their social faux pas and extend a friendly hand? perhaps pomposity makes bad bait? I'd suggest leading with what you've been reading. you could be a poet and not even know it.

what is so wrong about trying to be nice?

@JeffMesser

As @Bobbyzen wisely replied:

" I get those too. It’s annoying that there’s virtually no effort put into a question that requires a real response."

Intelligent men show they read my profile. They mention activities we have in common.

At the very least, they answer the pop-quiz at the end of my profile and ask if they are right. This shows they read it.

@LiterateHiker oh, my bad. you're talking about here. on this site. I thought you were just saying people in general. Like out in public. I spaced it. I'm high. My humblest apologies! I am sure that is rather annoying. If they take the time to drop a line it should at least be entertaining or stimulating. I'd SAY I feel your pain, but no one is sending me shit so that would be a lie. I hope your attention gets more interesting in the future. namaste

@LiterateHiker I do those kind of things in my messages. It makes no difference. My guess is that it's all about looks in the main profile pic and the other profile pics. Message content and profile content don't matter if you don't have the looks the other sex is seeking.

@TomMcGiverin

I am attracted to intelligent men with a great sense of humor.

An interesting profile and well-written messages matter to me.

@LiterateHiker As I have said many times before to other women on Agnostic, I don't doubt that you are less shallow and more open-minded about looks than most women on paid dating sites, but that doesn't change my experience on the paid sites or really help me any with my lack of success on them. If anything, it gives me false hope that I might have better luck in the future with those type of sites, or even this one if a bunch of new women my age joined Agnostic from my area. Which hasn't happened in the last two years and likely never will.

If I may share something personal, I had a rather depressing experience today reading a timeline post on FB from a woman I know in my area that is a fellow hipster and theater person that is a FB friend. She posted a pic of her ex-fiance at a bar meeting with another woman. (The pic was taken by another woman and my FB friend posted this to warn her friends that this man was on the prowl again for other women to deceive). This FB friend is too young for me to date by a few years and is apparently very open-minded about looks in who she has dated because the guy was bald, like me, and also very overweight and not even a handsome face. Her friends, tho, who I assume are also around her age and very nice-looking like her, all made comments about the guy being bald and overweight, etc. and several even openly said that she had been dating someone who was unworthy of her based on his looks. Their comments sure explained a lot to me about how shallow most women are about looks and why I have such little success on Match, because even tho these women are all fellow hipsters, like me and my FB friend they have in common, no wonder I can't get any hipster women my age that are like them to reply to my messages if the ones my age are just as shallow and narrow-minded about looks. I hear lots of women say that baldness is not an issue for them in who they will date, but after seeing the comments of these women on FB, it's obvious that the acceptance of baldness by most women on paid sites is qualified by the man also having six-pack abs and a very muscled body.

@LiterateHiker Of course the profile essay and well-written messages matter to you and almost every other woman, but they are clearly not enough by themselves to rate a reply or spark enough interest for most women to trade messages or meet someone in person. People are seeking more than a pen pal or a platonic friend.

@TomMcGiverin

"Character is more important that appearance," I taught my daughter.

My first husband, Tim, looked like a troll doll with flaming red, bushy hair, big chest, short legs, squinty eyes and a pug nose. Tim wore shorts all the time because he ran hot. He tended to be overweight.

My best friend at the University of Michigan, Tim was a genius- a true Renaissance man- with a tremendous sense of humor. Moving to WA State together, Tim introduced me to hiking. He became an emergency medical doctor.

We had great fun together. But Tim was bisexual and a sexual sadist. I did not know this before we got married.

"How did you two ever get together?" the judge asked, shocked, at our divorce hearing. I was dressed professionally in an elegant suit and stocking. With long, red bushy hair, Tim looked sloppy and disreputable, in worn hiking shorts and a holey T-shirt.

Tim was in medical school and worked full time as an emergency room nurse.

In graduate school, I was working full time as a YMCA program director.

@LiterateHiker It certainly is, particularly in the long run. Glad you had fun together. But I think with most people in the dating world, appearance matters way more than character, esp. in the early stage, because the things on most people's minds in selecting a partner are more about does this person look like someone I would want to have sex with and would my friends and family be impressed with how attractive they look and dress. Sad, but true in most cases.......We are the exceptions in that we care more about our own standards of who we want to be with rather than what others think about the person, but, then again, as non-believers we are non-conformist by nature...

Lol

bobwjr Level 10 May 20, 2019

Have others but not appropriate lol

"Better than average!"
"Better than nothing, so they tell me. I see it as goal."
"Present but not accounted for."
"Any day above ground is a good day."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:349597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.