Agnostic.com

34 10

Does anyone feel Buddhism (or some sects of it or some parts of it) is more of a philosophy or way of life than a religion?

I know Karma and reincarnation is superstitious but then many Buddhists claim karma carries a different meaning. Still meditation is helpful for sure. And the four noble truths make sense.

NeMeS1S 4 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Remember what Mad Otto from A Fish Called Wanda said: The central message of Buddhism is every man for himself. In an odd way, he was right. John Cleese, such a wise man, and a joke on a joke. The individual "path" you see. Look after number one.

Buddhism is good, i think

I've been messing around lately with yoga, basically because there's not that much for me to get into. I see what you mean . Personally I started for fitness purposes but after awhile the mental disciplines attracted and I started enjoying that aspect. I'll let you know later how it turns out.

Yoga came from Hinduism.

No Buddhist practice is a cult....only solo dabbles pretend chanting is a lifestyle or transcendental meditation is not self brainwashing

I disagree. There is not an all or nothing, black and white conclusion to this question. Especially as it pertains to Therevada Buddhism. Every practice has the potential to go the way of which you describe but not all do.

Most religions contain an element of philosophy, that does not mean they are not also religions, just as most farmers have a garden, but that does not mean they are gardeners not farmers.

I think it is a way of living, it keeps evolving with us and time. I much appreciated it in the past, but I have forgotten so much now.

I agree. The teachings of loving kindness, living gently on the earth. Also, after much thinking and reading I have had to include "activism". I have Buddhist friends who remove themselves from the social realm but I think the Dali Lama advocates for activism, that loving kindness will ultimately put us into the positon of having to choose a side at varied times in our lives.

@BermaMatteson agreed!

I don’t know much about Buddhism but I have started to read Tao Te Ching and it’s an excellent teaching document.

I practice Buddhism in meditation and philosophy.

I believe in karma and reincarnation. If you've ever had déjà vu, you've been here before.

After we die, I believe our energy transcends to another life in another form.

there are several explanations for deja vu and my favourite is that part of the brain had a momentary shutdown, a bit like a power cut, for a fraction of a second and it leaves a memory when the synapses are reconnected.

As for the rest Reincarnation ? as a sceptic I totally dismiss and karma can have several meanings.

My limited Western knowledge has always felt this way. Buddhism always felt like it steered more away from theism than other practices. What I know for a fact is the concept of "karma" is nowhere near what it is sold as in pop culture.
Now this part is probably a biased stretch; but I have always (conveniently) interpreted "reincarnation" as an effect of genetic imprinting (where your "programming" is literally passed down from past generations). "Genetic memory" is controversial is some disciplines, but also established in others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350553
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.