Agnostic.com

12 14

Tribalism: An exploration of the mechanisms that drive tribalism - and that offer a way out of it.

A study by social psychologist Jeffry Cohan "Party Over Policy: The dominating impact of group influence on political beliefs" recruited liberal and conservative college students with strong opinions on welfare for studying group influence. He presented them with one of two versions of welfare policy. One provided generous benefits. The other offered slender, stringent benefits. Pilot tests confirmed predictions that liberals would prefer the generous versions and conservative would prefer the stringent ones.

However, in the actual experiment, when one of the policies was presented to a participant individual, half the time it was claimed to be supported by the Democrats and half the time it was claimed to be supported by the Republicans. So, half the time the policy and party support were politically consistent but half the time they were politically conflicted.

Cohen found that when they were conflicted, participants showed a strong tribal bias, focusing on the party's support rather than the content of the policy. Conflicted liberals strongly favored conservative policies labeled Democrat over liberal policies labeled Republican, and conflicted conservatives strongly favored liberal policies labeled Republican over conservative policies labeled Democrat, suggesting that their convictions about their moral values may not be as solid as they think.

Subjects later denied they were influenced by the party labels although many believed other people would be influenced, especially their ideological adversaries. The YT video author states that to know that group identity can directly nullify group values in this way should give us serious pause. He further states it means that when we hear reasonable, useful, positive ideas from other groups or unreasonable, corrupt ideas from our own group, we might be responding to them purely on the basis of group origin instead on their content.

This helps to explain that subjects from evolution to climate change are sometimes denounced or defended by individuals with no knowledge or understanding of the evidence instead of being assessed on the data and the relative scientific disciplines. It is noted by another researcher (cited in the video) that false beliefs --- once they've become entrenched --- once they've become tribal badges of honor ---- are very difficult to change and changing them is no longer simply a matter of educating people.

Is there any way out of this "Us vs Them" mentality?

In this video, the author discusses ways to override this such as using "System 2" thinking over "System 1" thinking (manual vs automatic). Even if we use manual thinking, we can still be subject to tribalism when we use it to confirm our own biases. He discusses how to prevent that.

We're not all the same, and overcoming tribalism doesn't entail being the same. It's about finding enough common humanity to be able to hear each other and discuss our differences rationally. With that said, the video author notes:

"Let's be real, some folks have a vested interest in not finding common humanity: leaders of high control groups, segregationists groups, doomsday groups who welcome Armageddon as the fulfillment of their faith."*

In such chaotic times as this, with so much division, I think the author offers some ways we can narrow the divide. However, even though appealing to our common humanity can feel more positive, it can backfire if we sweep away our differences. Any unresolved issues we have about our differences can block our collective progress.

This video isn't just about political ideologies and cites some thought-provoking research. If possible, please watch the 23-minute video (published today), and if you do, thank you for taking the time. I think the content is not only educational but very timely. Your feedback would be appreciated as well.

VictoriaNotes 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A great video expressing and educating on the concept of tribalism. I realize that political comments may not be appreciated in this forum, but the reference made in this thread is unavoidable. The sharp division between the two tribes that make up our present political system has reached a point where we are again possibly facing a violent episode in the affairs of our society. Each tribe appears to be displaying thoughts and behaviors that is dismissive as well as unchanging and derogatory towards the other. Unfortunately, it seems that there are too many individuals within in each tribe that have the opinion their tribe has the correct way to lead both tribes away from mutual destruction. The search for common ground has been lost.

We are all tribal. Us v. Them drives our lives in work, play, and TV shows and movies. I have tried to find ways out of it. I am moving right along but for the most part we are creatures of habit. We keep trying to do the same damned things.

This video helps illustrate some of the problems with cognition but I wonder if we have the physical capabilities required to make "reflective" or "system 2" efforts all of the time. So we are still left with having to resort to "automatic" or "reflexive" thinking for most decisions. For most decisions "automatic" is reliable, so how do we learn to notice when reflective thinking should be applied? How can we teach everyone to become aware of the proper methods to use?

I have spent a lot of time intentionally moving in and out of various groups to deliberately try and get the other perspectives on things. I hate YT algorithm because it creates this echo chamber effect that seems designed to intentionally keep people in their own boxes. I believe that if you make an honest assessment of any position and actively look at everything from as may perspectives as you can opposing ones will cancel out, and you can find the means of least action which is almost always the best way forward.

Thats why I frequently play devils advocate and am more than willing to challenge anyones beliefs, which leads to some interesting dynamics. People who are unable or unwilling to see things from another perspective tend to deny objective truth, ignore conflicting data, find it hard to interpret new data, rely on others for new data, and as the video points out, tend to be easily manipulated by those who chose to do so.

Doesn't it really come down to critical thinking as a habit? Humans are very much like lemmings. We're social but we don't want to think too much so we follow. And many follow without question. I think that's why this tribal thinking polarizes based upon exigencies in geographical locations. The only way to rise above that is to think critically about the messages being communicated and only choosing based on merits. This rarely happens among most human societies.

tribalism is, imo, responsible for the ardent, strident supporters of global warming who have reached the point that any scientist who raises the possibility that human caused CO2 might not be totally responsible for the changes in the climate is considered a climate change denier.

Sir! How dare you post such a heretical response on a nice forum like this one? You need to get down on your knees, repent of your sinful thoughts and affirm belief in the true and correct word of the UN. Failure to do so will result in your burning forever in a hell of global warming.

Of course this is nothing new it is commanded three thousand years ago by God in the Bible. in Deuteronomy: Yahweh commands not only should you kill your enemies but you should take their stuff and rape their women.
tribalism was necessary and evolution in order to give primitive man a quick way of determining friend from foe threat from safety. I myself what should my core values everyday and hope to have an open mind.
Deuteronomy 20:16-18
16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes.  17 Completely destroythem—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you.  18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God.

Thanks so much for sharing this Victoria. An open and shut case made for integrating the basic findings of social psychology into every grade-school and high school curriculum. Thanks and peace.

Tribalism is a natural human phenomenon which dominates much of the world and has done so for thousands of years. The only long term way out of it is to do one or both of two things: (1) make remaining a member of the tribe so costly in emotion, danger, economic terms, that the appeal of the tribe will wane, and/or (2) create new opportunities which offer more in happiness, economic well=being, and safety.

This is a great illustration explains why seemingly intelligent people act against their own welfare and further explains trumps supporters

bobwjr Level 10 May 22, 2019

It might explain why people on either side voted along party lines. It would not explain why Trump won in the primaries.

It would explain why some people refuse to accept Trump as president even though he won the election.

@VictoriaNotes I was not asking why Trump won in the primaries. Neither of your links address the points I was making.

The insinuation in bobwir’s remark is that Trump’s support can be understood as blind adherence to tribalism. Some people do vote along party lines in the final election, and that can certainly be considered tribalism for either party. Obviously tribalism can not explain Trump’s success in the primaries any more than it can explain Clinton’s.

And your links don’t address the blatant tribalism exhibited by people who refuse to accept the outcome of the election.

With that first article I strongly disagree. It is obviously very biased and is an amateurish attempt to psychoanalyze without presenting any arguments regarding political issues. The second is not biased but I am not going to read page after page of psychobabble. I would read thoughtful commentary that actually addresses the political and social issues.

The purpose of the video as I understand it is to advise us on how to move past tribalism and become more unified by finding common ground. The first step is to open your eyes to tribalistic thinking in your own group—not just in the “others”. And to get anywhere we need to stop name-calling and stop dismissing the opinions of others as being of no value.

@VictoriaNotes I’m not far away, just over here in Alabama, and I grew up as a Baptist, just like you. My impression is that the word “evangelical” has been redefined and brought to the fore by the liberal national news media as a way of dividing and scapegoating. They don’t seem to understand conservatives, and instead of analyzing the issues with open minds they seem to be groping for explanations that will confirm their biases.

Like most of the Midwest, the South is politically conservative. The South was settled primarily by Protestants and hasn’t had much immigration. We are not conservative because of Protestantism and we are not Protestant because of conservatism. Probably over half the population never goes to church but they vote overwhelmingly for conservatives. And you must be aware of the liberal resolutions passed by the Southern Baptist Convention in recent years. This indicates that the majority of church members have liberal opinions on many issues.

What I don’t like about that first article is that progressives are described as people of great empathy who care deeply about the plights of the less fortunate, while conservatives are defined as people with a desire for tyrannical paternalistic leadership. Baloney!

What about the issues? There’s plenty of room for compromise and common ground on the actual issues but as long as we are focused on demonizing, name-calling, and engaging in moral grandstanding we’ll get nowhere.

In any event, you have made a great post, very stimulating. Keep up the good work.

@VictoriaNotes There’s moral grandstanding by some of the religious folks, and also by progressives who claim to be fighting for needy people. How many times have we read on this very forum that atheistic liberals are more moral than church people?

Moral grandstanding.

Good post Victoria!

Tribalism explains a lot of what is wrong and bad in our politics and our society overall.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.