Agnostic.com

36 16

What small pleasures delight you?

In my profile, I wrote:

"I find the wonder and joy in life. The infinite pleasure in the touch of a hand, the joy of tasting a juicy, ripe peach. Intense, playful, passionate and determined, I have fun every day."

"We all need more low-level ecstasy in our lives."

Living in a triplex, I prune and fertilize rose bushes around the building. I'm the only person who cuts flowers.

Fragrant roses on the table delight me. Reading a beautifully-written passage. My daughter's laugh. Birdsong. Shimmering water. Hummingbirds. Small pleasures.

Barbara Kingsolver wrote the world's shortest sex scene :

"I took his head in my hands and gave him the kiss I'd been thinking about for the last two hours. It lasted a good long while...Just being held felt unbelievably good, the long drink I'd been dying for.

"Something inside his buttoned shirt pocket made a crackling cellophane sound. I raised up a little and poked it with my finger. "If you've got a condom in your pocket, Loyd Peregrina, this is my lucky day."

"He did. It was."

From "Animal Dreams" by Barbara Kingsolver.

LiterateHiker 9 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Watching a truly funny or thoughtful (or both) movie or TV show - the kind that either makes you fall over laughing or makes you go "wow"... a dish of cold ice cream on a hot day... a cup of hot coffee or tea on a cold day... coming upon a work of art or other form of creativity that stops me in my tracks... coming upon something in nature that stops me in my tracks... an awesome meal with a good friend... an awesome conversation with a good friend... accomplishing at least one small challenging thing each day... getting involved in a creative project... wicked humor... having a day - or even an afternoon, or even an hour - with little or no physical pain... a good night's sleep...

craft beer, good whiskey; which i have in front of me right now. and pizza which we'll be having shortly.

Being outside. Smelling the ocean & watching the waves roll in. Having one of my pups on my lap. Giving my pony a hug and inhaling that wonderful horse perfume. Talking to my dad. And all of the things you wrote - but I do have a problem remembering to cut my roses, I like to walk by & smell the roses....

It's not a small pleasure, but it's a rare and simple thing: Whenever a feeling of calm washes over me.

twill Level 7 May 23, 2019

Being greeted by my dogs.
When my bluenose gives a full-throated howl.
The smell of my fingers after pinching a bud.
Sunset clouds lighting the scene pink and purple.
Unloading new photographs that are sharply focused.
Whenever my lady gives me a hug from behind.

I love all of your replies! Heartwarming.

Finding a highly religious person reveling to them that I am agnostic. Then I watch them and let them think that they are morally superior then slowly watch them devolve into the scourge that they really are. More of a hobby than a past time.

The touch and loves I give and get from my animals. The warmth of sunlight. The new leaves from my pine trees. The love people share online.

Lily's sugar-free chocolate. Mmmmmmm.... 😛

Wonderful

I must go down to the woods again, to the lonely trees and the sky,
And all I ask is the tall trees and the moon to see paths by;
And the saplings whip and the wind’s song and the broad leaves shaking,
And a grey mist across a grassy knoll, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the woods again, for the call of the running hind
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a breezy day with the white clouds flying,
And the foxes play and the badgers hide, and the owl eerily crying.

I must go down to the woods again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the buzzards way and the doves way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when this long trick’s over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.