Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK Todd Starnes Sold Us a War on Christianity. We Bought It. - Christ and Pop Culture

Here's a Christian journalist critiquing the origins of the supposed "War On Christmas". I like this guy. (Not Todd Starnes, but the author of this piece.) He shows that there are honest Xians who aren't out to score points and antagonize the non-believers.

Paul4747 8 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Todd Starnes must have skeletons in his closet. To be such an avid godbot, he may likely have an entire graveyard in his closet.

Fake news works both ways. Just sayen.

Of course we bought it and it is a warped story. It is always true for the Christian because most of them remember from the bible that Jesus said "you will be persecuted for my sake." It isn't far at all to go from a War on Christianity to a War on Christmas. If you are a good Christian at all, or think that you are, it is common Christian logic to believe that you are persecuted.

Here’s an interesting paragraph from Wikipedia:

Firing from Baptist Press
Edit
In 2003, when employed by the Baptist Press, Starnes was accused of falsifying quotes from an interview of then U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige.[8] The interview spawned national headlines and several members of Congress called on Paige to resign over comments on religion and the public schools.[9] Ultimately, the Baptist Press issued an apology noting "factual and contextual errors" made by Starnes and saying that he would "no longer will be employed to write for the Baptist Press".[10]

Many years of counter-conditioning!

I liked this summary:

"Starnes’s wide influence on evangelicals is alarming because he consistently deceives and manipulates facts in order to exaggerate or fabricate incidences of Christian persecution. These reports influence a great deal of people who often respond with hatred, anger, and disgust out of ignorance."

Other than ramping up border security, I’m not aware of any Trump actions that are particularly “anti-Christian”. How many immigrants do you think should be allowed in? What do you think should be done with illegal immigrants? Do you favor open borders?

I am dismayed at the constant scapegoating of “evangelicals”. Hillary Clinton is an evangelical. Al Gore is another. What about all those Catholics and mainline Protestants who support Trump? Are you denying them the benefit of your scorn? What about me? I support Trump because he is our legally elected President.

It’s not fair to hate only evangelicals. You should hate all of us equally.

@WilliamFleming I would not support Trump even if he was our legally elected President. Doing so is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute.

@DenoPenno Legally we have no choice but to accept his presidency. We don’t have to like the guy.

The fewer people we dislike the happier we are. That’s my mantra for today. 🙂

@WilliamFleming, I suggest you read the Sermon on the Mount and then look at everything Trump has done in light of that. I don't understand how anyone could could consider his policies to be Christian. And that is not even considering the fact that far right evangelicals are calling a serial adulterer, sociopathic liar, and complete narcissist God's anointed.

Trump stands against everything Christ stood for. The evangelicals who embrace him are also taking a stand against everything Christ stood for. That is the true war on Christianity.

@mcgeo52 Trump was not elected for his Christianity. He’s more of a secular kind of guy, and that’s what we need in today’s world. He did not promise to turn the other cheek or to give away national resources.

Since you seem to be trumpeting Christian principles, how about that part about loving your neighbor as yourself. Does DT qualify as your neighbor?

@WilliamFleming, Trump has consistently pandered to the religious right, and they have embraced him, in spite of their professed belief in Christ. I am talking specifically about Jerry Falwell, Jr., Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson, and their ilk. They are the ones who appear to be waging the real war on Christianity.

As for what we need in today's world, I would say we need someone who stands up to dictators rather than brown nose them. We need someone who understands who our allies are and does not go out of his way to alienate them. We need someone who understands that by pulling out of treaties for no reason other than he feels like it damages our reputation as a country. We need someone who has a clue about international economics, and doesn't shoot from the hip by imposing whatever tariffs he feels like without considering the consequences. We need someone who has actually read the Constitution and understands it, and that he has to work within its limits. We need someone who understands science, and how we can use it to hopefully survive as a species. We also need someone to unite us, not divide us.

Trump isn't even close to what we need. I tried to support him when he first took office, but he has done far too much damage to my country for me to continue supporting him.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351415
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.