Agnostic.com

5 4

Musicality. What is music?

"...You're listening to your first song. The consistent rhythm is the beat of your mother's heart. The uterine blood and amniotic fluid flowing around you create that gentle drone. Consonants and high frequency sounds are filtered by the layers of skin and fat in your mother's abdomen, but you can hear a soft melody of low frequency bass and vowels. Your eyelids are closed until 28 weeks after conception, but you start to hear at week 18. Before even knowing there's a world to see, you're immersed in a world of music.
Not only does musicality ... predate the alphabet song, musicality predates the alphabet itself. And all written language - by a lot...Before our ancestors developed writing, values, memories, and customs were conveyed through song. Ethnomusicologist, John Blacking, suggests singing and dancing preceeded Homo Sapiens by several hundred thousand years. Caves are full of accoustic reverberations - like your shower. That must have made cavemen 'ugh' feel like Pavarotti..."

The VSauce series of videos must produce some of the best informational, educational and entertaining video essays on YouTube. This is Kevin Lieber's (aka VSauce2's) video essay on musicality. As usual, he provides sources for the data he references in his videos. Approx 14m of watch time:

Near the end of his video essay, he tells the heart-breaking story of Clive Wearing, musician and ex-BBC music director. Clive Wearing's only reprieve from the symptoms of both Retrograde Amnesia (unable to recall the past) and Anterograde Amnesia (30-second, short-term memory) is when he is playing the piano.

"...After every handful of blinks, Clive's eyes open to a brand new world. His subsequent loneliness, confusion and constant fear left him feeling robbed of consciousness. He says it's like being dead..."

(I'll post the video documentaries on Clive Wearing's life in a separate post.)

SamKerry 7 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My earliest musical memories is standing on our front garden wall singing " I wanna hold your hand " by the Beatles. I must have been about 6 at the time and Liverpool had been placed at the center of the map by the fab 4.
My 1st record was " Popeye the sailor man " I never used to admit to this (even though I was only 8 at the time), till I found out that it was written by the same guy who wrote " take the A train " for Duke Ellington.
A few years later and heard " Pinball wizard " by the Who. From then on I was hooked. Most of my life has revolved around music in some form or other. I payed for my own guitar lessons at 14, busked, giged and now write my own songs.

Incredible! Thank you for sharing.

"As long as you have music...You cannot be alone". This touched me. Thank you for sharing 🙂

Jean michel Jarre went into an isolation tank and heard the beating of his heart clearly and when he came out he said t'he music is always with me' - (I am an artist and went into an isolation tank and what I remember clearly were the radiant coloured images I saw )

You want I embaress myself in front of all these people.

This is the first song I remember loving.

@Captnron59 Don't care much for Hank Jr but Hank III is like a ghost.

One of my favorite gig stories. Hank was down to play in this small town but by the time that he was due to go on he was too far gone. He just lay there in his dressing room and dynomite could not shift him. Reluctantly the manager came on stage and informed the audience that Mr Williams was too indisposed to perform this evening. All those wishing to get a refund on their tickets could do so at the door. However if anyone would like to see Mr Williams in his dressing room they could, in exchange for their refund.
Half the audience refused the refund and shuffled past a comatose Hank as he lay sparked out on his bunk.

@273kelvin Hahaha! The spectacle of seeing him spent and haggard is worth more than cash.

@SamKerry He had the rock n roll lifestyle before rock n roll.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.