Agnostic.com

5 5

10 things people constantly get wrong about PTSD

"Post-traumatic stress disorder is much more common than many of us may think. Data suggests an estimated 70% of American adults have experienced some type of traumatic event throughout their lifetimes, and up to 20% of these people will go on to develop PTSD as a result.

"However, just because it’s prevalent doesn’t mean it’s inherently understood. For those who don’t have the condition, it’s hard to picture what it’s like or why it can be so debilitating. That can lead to a lot of misconceptions about the illness.

"HuffPost surveyed some experts who treat the mental health condition plus some patients to hear firsthand what people typically get wrong about living with PTSD.

"Here’s what everyone should keep in mind about the condition:"

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for sharing. I felt like I had mild PTSD after leaving 2 jobs but then decided I was just being dramatic. Upon reading some of the myths I do actually think I had it.

Thanks for the insight. It really bothers me that the word “triggered” has turned into something dirty by conservatives. I think it’s an accurate word.

Thanks so much for sharing this. There's so much misinformation out there, and it's good to see something like this that clears a lot of it up. Trauma can effect anyone, at any age, and people can have different reactions. Bottom line is it's an event where your fight/flight response has been over-activated and it gets imprinted on you so that you wind up reliving it or get triggered by a current event that brings it up. I'd been learning techniques to manage it.

I'm possibly lucky, in that I seem able to push memories into a "quarantine vault" and suppress them - until I read a post like this and then have to round them up and lock them away again.
Does anyone else do this to incidents?

Its how i deal with it. Unfortunately, triggers don't have same polite way of staying repressed.

Most humans deal with trauma to some extent by compartmentalizing or we wouldn't survive bad things.
It's whether we can take those things out later - without going to pieces. *Or go to pieces at a better time. (Sometimes you do have to wait to have your meltdown).

I had therapy for that issue. I compartmentalize in a healthier fashion now. (Usually).

Some things overwhelm the mind and we just do the best we can with what we have. Until a better moment comes to deal with it all.

At some point, all people who make to adulthood will encounter it. Some of us can suffer chronic PTSD. It's no fun. I'm on Prosac, which controls it nicely.
In the UK, it a condition is generally only considered to be military based, but we all suffer from it.
I was a long term carer for my late wife, loosing her caused it with me. Most people will get it from sudden stressful acts such as being in a violent storm, act or accident.
Very few will have the Chronic version for more than a few years.

@Sofabeast

"Very few will have the Chronic version for more than a few years."

That's incorrect. I have some PTSD. Was surprised by an unknown trigger a few months ago.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it happened when I tried something new with sex. Didn't know it would trigger a panic attack.

The man was unbelievably insensitive. He called me a "Drama Queen" even after I explained.

At age 19, my daughter Claire was brutally raped and beaten by a strange man when she was sleeping in her bed at college. After years of therapy, Claire still wakes up screaming.

Now 29 and married, Claire still has panic attacks.

Actually sexual abuse survivors tend to have it for life to some degree. (It can be improved to a very livable extent).

Also survivors of violent crime.

It improves - but never is entirely gone.

Just less obvious and less crippling than in the early stages.

Hmmm, Mine loaded instantly. Said 70% suffer from some form of PTSD. I believe we all have some form of anxiety. It's where you draw the line. I've met some vets that can't function due to their PTSD. Others diagnosed are fully functioning in society. A friend of mine was diagnosed and is a high achiever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.