Agnostic.com

16 7

How have you handled last-minute birthday notice?

"You have a one-track mind," I texted to my boyfriend Bill this morning.

"Today is my birthday," he replied. "I'm allowed the amusement." I scrambled.

Immediately called and sang "Happy Birthday" to him.

"You stinker! I have a birthday gift for you," I said, stretching the truth. "A long time ago (2017), you said your birthday is in June (true). I got you a gift in May" (lie). I had a gift in mind.

Because Bill is training for the 200-mile, Seattle-to-Portland bicycle race, I won't see him until after June 13. This gives me time to recover. Sent him a funny e-card.

Then I I ran around town, looking for a Peet boot/shoe dryer. Bill was wowed by mine.

Found one at the second sportsman's store I tried.

Wrapped the gift (photo) and removed evidence of recent wrapping.

Took a new photo with my phone. Sent him a text, "For you. Happy Birthday!"

"Wonderful!" Bill replied.

Whew!

LiterateHiker 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always try to be honest with my friends, mainly because I'm too lazy to remember what lie I may have told to whom. I'd just 'fess up to being such a schmuck that it'd slipped my mind and more than make up for it later.

Gareth Level 7 June 11, 2019

I just say, "Oh. Was it your birthday yesterday?" or else "Happy Birthday."
Years ago our family stopped buying gifts for each other simply because of a birthday. Instead, if we see something we know the recipient would like, we buy them an "unbirthday" gift. The exception is children, until they are earning their own income.

Petter Level 9 June 10, 2019

After 50, only celebrate the decades. Birthdays have just an arbitrary significance. It's an anniversary of something you can't possibly remember based on the speed of the earth's orbit around the sun. Ridiculous. If you love someone, tell them every day; not annually, to a prompt.

@Gareth Why wait until 50? We didn't bother after the 21st birthday! (Except for "milestones" ).

@Petter Because, you know .... friends.

Yes you were quick thinking,Happy you have found Happiness

In my case the sarcasm would have to come out and I would have had to say something along the lines of, "SO WHAT, IT'S NOT MY FAULT!"😣
I feel much better now 😁 great pick up!

I don't remember anybodys birthdays, even my own childrens sometimes. Just as well that they remind me way in advance. By the way I do hope Bill is not on this web site for your sake.

@Jolanta

As a Christian, Bill is not on Agnostic.com. I'm safe.

@LiterateHiker You practice "safe social intercourse"!

I don't remeber birthday either. I struggle remebering names

You know you could of just wrapped a box and sent him a pic of it. If your gonna stretch the truth fricking go for it. 🙂

I'm such an ass I'd make some of those cheesy "personal coupons" for stuff he likes but put an experation date of the day after his birthday on them (in the box you wrapped just to take a pic of). Then give him the actual present when you've both had a good laugh about it.

1of5 Level 8 June 9, 2019

That turned into a busy day! Happy birthday to Bill. Even if he ever finds out, he'll appreciate all of your effort!

I go to Amazon Prime real quick.

alon Level 6 June 9, 2019

haha i have not been in that situation. i'm not perfect but pretty damned good at birthdays. i am crap at remembering where i am supposed to be when, though.

g

I wouldn't have gotten him anything.
If he wanted a fuss made for his birthday, he should have said so.
I definitely wouldn't have lied and said I'd gotten him something when I hadn't.

Why are you stressing it? It's clear that he isn't.

@KKGator

Don't be a spoil sport.

@LiterateHiker
I'm not. You asked a question. I gave you an answer.
Just because it's not the answer you wanted doesn't mean I gave a wrong one.
I generally don't give adults birthday gifts. That's not being a "spoil sport".

@KKGator

"Why are you stressing it? It's clear that he isn't."

That sounds critical, like I care more about our relationship than Bill.

To celebrate his birthday, today Bill flew to Trout Lake in Idaho with friends. They plan to ride bicycles and kayak on the lake.

@LiterateHiker It's not intended to be "critical", but I do question why you felt you had to lie?
Again, you asked the question.

@KKGator

You are the only person being negative. Read other people's reactions.

@Great Nani:
"Good work!!!! Fast and thoughtful gift."

@KITDFOHS:
"I think you handled it quite well and I'm sure we all would have done the same or at least have done it."

@bigpawsbullets:
"But I salute your ability to rise to the occasion. Well done!"

@LiterateHiker I read the other comments. I simply do not agree.
I get to do that.
I also don't think I'm being "negative".

Courting requires all these intense efforts....
Marriage is great for those who don't put a lot of stock in obligatory date presents. But I salute your ability to rise to the occasion. Well done!

If he's a member of THIS community, you may have just told on yourself?

@Lilyfiend41

As a Christian, Bill not on Agnostic.com. I'm safe.

Cool

bobwjr Level 10 June 9, 2019

Peet Boot/shoe dryers are the bomb!
I love pulling on warm, dry boots in the morning rather than the cold wet ones I took off the night before - gives me “happy feet”!

@Haemish1

Exactly. For 25 years, I have used Peet shoe/boot dryers.

@LiterateHiker
Some day I’ll get the advanced model that dries your gloves too🙂

@Haemish1

I bought the Peet Glove DryPort attachment for shoe dryers.

Unfortunately, the plastic "hand" is too large for my gloves. It only works on my stretchy gloves. Just barely.

That's the only size Peet offers, although the picture on the box shows children's mittens and women's gloves.

[amazon.com]{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070141365277&psc=1

Don't worry, your secret is safe with us. If you can't trust a bunch of godless people who can you trust? 😉

Good work!!!! Fast and thoughtful gift.

@GreatNani

Thanks! Driving, I thought of a fallback position: Amazon.com.

@LiterateHiker I did the same thing! And I think my guy already has the book I gave him but was too sweet to say so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.