Agnostic.com

21 5

Do you have trouble finding clothes you like?

I want a simple navy blue dress with short sleeves. Slim and elegant. Joann's Fabric has no navy stretch fabric. So much for sewing one.

A Google search was appalling: flounces, bows, big sleeves, bare shoulders, see-through sleeves, plunging necklines, shiny zippers from neck to hem (painful sitting down), full skirts (square dancing, anyone?), deep side slits, ruffles and nonsense.

"I need to move to France," I thought disgustedly. Finally found a navy dress I like.

I have gone years without buying clothes because I didn't like the current styles or colors.

It took five years to find a simple, elegant red dress.

[dillards.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a curvy woman it's been a particular challenge. I know the types of things that fit me and look good, they're just hard to find and at a decent price. Some of the plus-sized stores/departments still carry too many dowdy styles that look awful; others have simply downsized or eliminated their brick-and-mortar merchandise and you can only buy online -- which I don't like, because you still have to try it on and more often than not I have to return it, resulting also in extra shipping charges. There are still a couple of in-store retailers I can rely on, but it would be nice to have more options... I'd thought about sewing my own, I used to do it. Though I don't have as much patience with it as I used to and I'm useless when it comes to sewing knits.

I was thinking something similar, I find plenty of clothes I love, they just don’t fit me.

I love pretty and bright colors but have a difficult time finding anything other than grey, black, brown, or Navy. I want red and pink!!!!

@Marcie1974 I like stores like Torrid and Land Bryant. There's also a chain by me called Avenue, where I've gotten great jeans. I'll take advantage of their deals or sales, and they have wonderful websites, too. Macy's is one of the best of the department stores and occasionally I'll find something at Kohl's (and again they both have a lot online). Then there are the off-price retailers like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Burlington - tiny plus-size departments, but really nice stuff. Online only, I also like Modcloth, Old Navy, and Stein Mart... Yeah, I guess you can say I've done a lot of homework. But even though I have all these resources, the search for something I like isn't easy.

@Marcie1974

I sympathise. Pastel colors wash me out. Clothes in stores are pastel this year.

I look much better in gem-colors.

@LiterateHiker sorry, but you look gorgeous in any color.

@bleurowz I do love Torrid and Lane Bryant is great for work clothes. I’ll check out Kohl’s online since you can return things in the store for free.

I’ve always had a difficult time with jeans, even when I was slim (wide hips, small waist) but Torrid’s jeans and jegging are flipping amazing!!

@LiterateHiker one of my favorite colors is a pale dusty pink. Does absolutely nothing for my complexion but I just love the color and wear it anyways.

I’m really not a Blue person but get so many compliments if I do wear it so I’ve been trying to broaden my color palette

@LiterateHiker Those colors are fabulous on you, especially the red. I love red!

@Mofo1953, @Marcie1974

Thank you so much!

@Mofo1953

In beige or yellow, I look like I died. Get the coffin.

@LiterateHiker you're being too hard on yourself, and if you don't mind mevsaying so once again, I would do you in beige or yellow or in any combination thereof, and I ain't no necrophiliac BTW

I've never had any problems buying off the rack at Kohl's. But my style quotient is pretty low.

zeuser Level 9 June 10, 2019

Style quotient made me giggle

@Marcie1974 Lots of people giggle at my style. 🤣

$129 for THAT?

JFC

J75243 Level 6 June 10, 2019

@J75243

Fabric for the last four dresses I made cost $12 at 40% off.

The dress I made for my daughter's wedding cost $18 instead of $900 to $4,000 charged for mother-of-the-bride dresses.

So I can justify spending $129 for a nice dress.

@J75243

What you don't know about the cost of women's clothes.

Also, try sewing in a zipper.

I have very few clothes relative to others; I am a minimalist so hence have a limited wardrobe. When I do buy something I may do a fair bit of research, for example my favorite fall/winter dressy jacket took a while to find, and then I waited 2 years until it went on sale. But as far as finding the style I want, no.

And it gets worse when you need the dress to be of wool fabric. I did a week long search and finally landed at a site for designer clothes. Saw the perfect dress but would have had to take a distribution from my 401k to afford it.

Try living on an island where there are very few stores. Expectations go down really quickly on finding exactly what you want, and enthusiasm soars when finding something that "will do" haha, but that's okay. One can live with very few clothes here. (Though you wouldn't think so to see my closet!)

Nope. Jeans, boots and a black pocket tee. Gets me everywhere.

So hard to find anything that fits right and I don't wear pastels. jewel tones for me.

@GreatNani

Like you, I wear jewel tones. You look great!

Pastels wash me out.

@LiterateHiker love those colors!!!

I have always hated shopping for clothes and now that I’m retired I only buy what is absolutely needed. And I detest shopping on line. Few things fit right so clothes need to be tried on first. Can’t do that online.

I like your style and the dress you found - simple and elegant. Much harder for me, being short and fat. In my experience, people find a style they like in their late thirties-early forties and stick to it to the rest of their lives, making minor concessions to major fashion changes. F or me it's simple black trousers and skirts in the winter and paler, lighter trousers and skirts in the summer with loose tops or shirts and jumpers. Nothing tight - I hate to see people squeezed into their clothes, whether they are male, female or anything else.

These days I buy a lot of my clothes at charity shops - I'm not sure what the US equivalent is. Charity shops in well-off towns are particularly good.

@CeliaVL

Thank you, dear!

No 😉 blue jeans (generic) and bland dress shirts. I'm not very creative and I respect but I have a nice pair of jesus creepers.🤭 (Sandals)
And on a serious note I can understand your dilemma.

go to a website called TBDRESS.com

Being a nudist is just sooo much easier.

It is hard to find womens clothing that is feminine without being ridiculous flounce and bows, or the other direction, way too trashy. So i mostly stick with jeans. Even then finding a fit is a battle.

I buy most of my fabrics on line...I got samples of most of the fabrics I use regularly. I really don't have trouble finding clothes I like retail, but I still love to sew when I want something in particular that is classic.

I like the navy dress you found! Good price on it as well...it will be in fashion even as the other stuff you found goes out of style...

[fabricwholesaledirect.com]

@thinktwice

Thank you!

@LiterateHiker The link is to their thinner fabric...nice tops...I would go for the DTY, or double sided for a nicer dress...it is a bit more but worth it...

For pants and tailored outfits...this is primo...

I like jeans (and denim leggings), t-shirts, and hoodies. So, usually it's not that hard for me to find clothes. My local town has very few options when it comes to clothing and normally the sizes available are too big for me (even the "Small" size which I normally wear). I love dresses too but I rarely wear them. If I do, I tend to choose "weird" styles that fit my "weird" personality. I like lacey, ethnic, boho, gothic, shabby, with prints and patterns like skulls, Hello Kitty, sharks, tie dye. I really hate trendy so I can never find anything that I like in most of the local stores (even in the city). I order online a lot. Sometimes it's a hit, sometimes it's a miss. Oh well.

I usually have no problem finding something at our TIOLI site here on Lopez. [lopezsolidwaste.org]
The only problem is that often the pants don't have their size listed (and we have no changing room lol). I prefer light colors, fairly clean (they will get dirty later) and not too loose. I like flannel or corduroy shirts for winter but have enough short sleeved shirts to last a long time.

I have a hack for you - if you hold a pair of closed (Buttoned and zipped) pants up to your neck and bring the waistband around your neck, to the back of your neck -- AND if the ends do meet in the back? They should fit you.

@RavenCT Maybe this would work but after being on this site no longer. My waist has increased. I've been doing sit-ups at the gym but then I read where tightening stomach muscles can lead to increased flatulence. One can never win.

@JackPedigo Apparently neck size increases with waist size? I've found this to be somewhat true.

I've tested it. Try it out! (The sizing not the stomach tightening to be clear!). lol

@RavenCT You are right. I used to be a 33 and now am 34 1/2. I tried this on some pants that fit and it worked. Now when I'm at our tiole place and try this people will stare (but so what). When I take pants there that no longer fit I write down the waist size.

Yes. I hardly ever find what I want. Most stuff just looks silly to me. People wearing them look silly. Oh well. I make or repurpose a lot of things. But I did discover a website, EShatki that custom makes their fashions to your measurenents. You can even change necklines, sleeves and hem lengths according to your particular tastes. I've ordered several dresses from them, including a red one. They all fit perfectly.
I compliment strangers on their appearance and one day did so to a large sized gal wearing a really well fitting and cute dress. I asked her where she got it and she mentioned this site. I hate ordering on line, as I really need to see it on, ya know? But so far, this company hasn't disappointed. Good luck!

Source:

@Freespirit64

Love the dress you found! At $54, it's a steal.

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker you're very welcome!

I love this site, they have beautiful styles, even in my larger size. Been considering looking at them for a special-occasion dress.

Nop i just like black

No not a clothes horse

bobwjr Level 10 June 10, 2019

Actually, I’ve nearly replaced my wardrobe with ..area appropriate stuff. Meaning, rural. Comfortable, quality, readily available.. and ‘in style’ … for a change 🙂

The ..funny part is that even though the bib overalls, carpenters pants and hooded Carhartt’s are everywhere, so few guys are actually in shape that simply ‘looking fit’ inside of them garners all kinds of attention 😉

Varn Level 8 June 10, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.