Agnostic.com

18 0

Afterlife

How many of you believe in an afterlife or reincarnation? So much time is spent thinking what happens after we shed our mortal vessels. Do we appear in another one either human, animal, plant or vermin? Is there some magical gate to a utopia with some supposed list of shady guidelines when it ends up completely random?

Does it say more about the lack of satisfaction about our own humanity and the limits our genetics puts us if we’re so fascinated about what happens after death? Is it because so many of us can’t fathom eternal darkness and not knowing the sensation of bloating and being eaten from the inside out as grotesque as it would be to mortal eyes?

Vipyr82 7 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well when i get reincarnted i will let you know about it how i felt for the mean time what is afterlife
is it manmade stories or is it really there is afterlife. Mystery to be solved yet.

Rosh Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

I used to think about it, but anymore, I don't see the point. Whatever it is, it's not like I can change it, so why sweat it?

Science always opens new doors.

There is no evidence of an afterlife and there never has been. There have been documented anecdotal experiences with apparitions but a mutiverse theory proven in the future could soundly resolve that issue. There is no statistically significant empirical evidence of information transfers from prior lifes. The only evidence that exists is also anecdotal.

I see no reason to believe in an afterlife of any sort. The idea of a heaven seems to be entirely fantasy born of fearful and grieving primates that missed their dead loved ones. And reincarnation? What's the point? There's no reason to think it's true but, assuming there were, a blank slate is a blank slate. It wouldn't be a continuation of life in any meaningful sense. As far as I can tell, who we are is our mind — call it the soul if you're feeling poetic — and the mind is the product of the physical brain. When the brain is damaged or physically changed, personality is often affected in clear and predictable ways. When the brain dies, I see no other option but for the mind/soul/personality to die with it. But, for that matter, I don't believe there to be a persistent self from one moment to the next. As far as I can tell, we're a series of personality snapshots, similar from moment to moment, but vastly different when spread out over longer spans of time, and the snapshot of "me" right now isn't affected by tomorrow's unknown events. It seems to me that we simply invented the concept of an afterlife based on our illusory sense of self.

I'm neutral about an afterlife because I don't know

I want to believe in an afterlife and/or reincarnation, but in times of struggling when I've tried to pray, there is no feedback\response.

I don't like doctrine though. I've already accepted that my belief is really customized to me and my life experiences, and I won't impose them on others as I do not want to be ridiculed or persecuted.

I highly recommend you all to read from my friend's website called www.wordgems.net - talks a lot about Afterlife. Great read as he put in many many years of research into this topic.

I believe in reincarnation, although I don't think in the same way as Buddhists or other religions. I look forward to continuing the journey.

At the risk of getting dumped on, here is a saying I like:

"Belief is not required. You will reincarnate anyway. A leaf does not have to believe in photosynthesis to turn green."

marga Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

It's all bullshit.

I believe we get many souls to finish what we started. Not always do we reincarnate right away. I believe our souls come from medieval or lives past that came to learn or bring us something to evolve in this lifetime now.

I believe that dead is dead.

@TweedleDee: I would agree with this as far as it goes. The only thing I would change is where you say we get many souls; I would say instead that each individual gets many lifetimes. I believe each of us is a unique soul, and that same soul is reincarnating and evolving...at least on this physical plane.

I'd like to be reincarnated as a spoiled housecat but don't think its gonna happen.

With reincarnation how do you explain population growth?

I think the afterlife is similar to how it felt before I was born

@Gwendolyn Many questions arise from your supposition. Here are some I thought of. Who made the original souls? Why did they/it stop making them? When will they/it make more? What are souls made of? How do they transfer? Is there a holding time and place for souls? Will the original creator/s of souls change design and make different souls? Are there different souls for different worlds? Why haven't we seen, heard, touched, smelled, or tasted a soul? How much does a soul weigh? Can a soul be destroyed? How long does a soul last?

I don't believe in things I have no reason to, but if it did happen I wouldn't feel bad for not believing.

I'm a Buddhist but I don't give reincarnation a lot of thought. I think its unlikely and the maths don't really add up 🙂
Its a contentious issue within some schools but personally I see it as an irrelevance. There are plenty of good reasons to live right. The promise of a better or worse future life doesn't really factor into my thinking

I, personally, feel I have barely ANY answers to ANY questions. Particularly any big questions. Oddly I find great pleasure in the "not-knowing". ... Hoping I can explain.... As science does not have any of these ({edit}unanswerable) answers, ... As it's pretty certain we cannot prove a negative, this allows me tons of conjecture room.
I'll play with one idea, set it aside, then try another on for size, as if it were a spring jacket. ({edit)Exercising my mind , figuring out the fallacies, etc.) I love logic, it's fun!

We become plant food

Just a simple "NO" for me.

I don't believe in any kind of afterlife, or reincarnation.
As far as I'm concerned, when you're dead, you're dead. That's all there is, there is no more. Consciouness ends. You are done.
Death is inevitable. I don't care what happens afterward because I don't believe anything does. I really don't understand the fear so many have over death. I think it's a complete waste of time. Instead of worrying about death, just live the life you have NOW.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.