Agnostic.com

7 14

LINK Jesuit School Refuses to Fire Gay Teacher, Even After Catholic Church’s Threats | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Well, well! This Catholic school decided to defy orders from the archdiocese to fire a teacher because they discovered he was gay... Their penalty?

They cannot use the word 'Catholic' in the title of their school any more.

I applaud this school for standing up for one of their teachers!

DGJ0114 7 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Bible “the Book” should be thrown in the garbage. Just about everything in it is wrong, and it's the basis of morality in the History of the Western World.

Consider the movie “12 Years a Slave”. The plantation owners acted like they had the moral upper hand because of their Biblical thinking. The Earth is not flat and the church actually immolated great scientists and wouldn't accept this nonsense.

Parents do not have the moral right to stone disobedient children to death as stated in Deuteronomy.

In the case at hand, homosexuality is NOT an “abomination” (to be hated.) It is common in nature and serves as a salubrious release of the intense sex drive. In lions, for instance, only the strongest ten percent gets to reproduce.

Women should be treated equal to men, not as some sort of chattel.

I could go on and on, but here's the one that really infuriates me: The Jews are the Chosen People of God. Does anyone ask: Who the hell wrote the book?

Pheraps he wasn't the only gay in the village......if you know what I mean.

Damn Jesuits. Nothing but trouble ...

Jesuits different? Puhleeze! Historically, they are famous for their cruelty in the Spanish inquisition, and in modern times, pedophilia and pederasty. [en.wikipedia.org]

Actually the inquisition was founded and run by the Dominicans, long before the Jesuit order ever existed (50 years before).
The chief ally of the inquisition in the Vatican was the Benedictine order.
Though ruthless, commercial and greedy the Jesuit "soldiers of Christ" have long been a pain in the arse for the Vatican, often disagreeing with official church policy and doctrine and forcing though progress and reformation (not always good) in the face of the older more fundamentalist orders.
Therefore this story does not surprise me, if anyone is going to recognise the power of the Pink$ is was going to be the Jesuits

@LenHazell53 Appreciate this edification.

@LenHazell53 i never said in my post that they founded the inquisition, read again but properly.

Not so sure that the Jesuits acted with the Spanish Inquisition. Generally I believe this is deemed to be Protestant propaganda.

@Geoffrey51 does this seem like propaganda to you? From the BBC: "The Spanish Inquisition
The Jesuits are famous for their role in the Spanish Inquisition, though contrary to popular opinion the Jesuit order did not begin it. The inquisition was set up in 1480, 60 years before the Papal bull that formalised the creation of the Society of Jesus.

The Spanish Inquisition was originally overseen by members of the Dominican order, though members of the Jesuit brotherhood were involved at a later date.

Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition was not formally disbanded until 1834, though its influence had significantly dwindled prior to that date.

The Inquisition was famous for its use of torture to elicit confessions from accused 'heretics'. It was believed that confessions extracted after torture must be true, an idea that was later dispelled."

@Mofo1953 okay, not my error of expertise so I can’t say it’s in error

@Geoffrey51 not my area of expertise either, but I do read history, I try to not comment in areas which I know little about or when I am not sure of something, keeps me out of making an ass of myself

You may read history, @Mofo1953 but you would do well to read a little more, @Geoffrey51 is perfectly correct the Jesuits were a traveling order, a teaching order and an evangelist order, a political order, a banking order and a terrorist order. So the snippet you have quoted out of context was referring to the period of the spanish inquisition (the second period when the inquisition was pursuing Jews and Muslims instead of other Christians the purpose for which it was founded) the Jesuits were not involved other than superficially, the were in COMPETITION with the inquisition, and what is more they won, check out he rest of the article and you will see how their main purpose was counter reformation work and conversions and retentions of monarchs, leading to their outliving the inquisition and claiming greater success in bringing back more "sheep" to the fold of "holy mother church" by machination, politics, finance and terrorism, than the dominicans could claim by torture.
That is why the benedictines and Jesuits took over the inquisition and renamed it Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (sometimes also known as Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office.) to cock a snook at the hated Dominicans, a situation that remain so to this day. THAT is why "The Jesuits are famous for their role in the Spanish Inquisition" .

@LenHazell53 out of context? still not reading properly? Learn, please. Now don't bother me anymore, I hate all religions, and those who represent them, regardless of their origin, order, and any other moronic justification they may want to use to brainwash others, I ain't falling for that crap. Bye.

You are right … but this is probably more about their current position. Perhaps they have collectively learned their lesson...

@LenHazell53 St. Dominic Guzman, the founder of the Spanish Inquisition was a sadistic misogynist. Died in 1485 and was a favorite saint of Christophe Columbus, another sadist and all-round sicko. Columbus established a hundred gold mines in the new world and was sending bullion back to Spain by the galleon full. All at the expense of the slave indigenous Indians, the Taino, which he killed off to the last man by 1550. Then, the Conquistadors headed for the Ivory Coast to import blacks.

@Aristopus Very true, Columbus even baptised indigenous children before "dashing their heads against the rocks" in accordance with the Psalm.

I went to a Jesuit university. Got a degree in economics. The Jesuits taught me a lot of philosophy, theology, biblical exogesis, and logic that led me first to agnosticism, then to atheism. This story checks. Plus, those guys can drink! 💙😜

zeuser Level 9 June 22, 2019

Jesuits have always been "different"

Good for them !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:364039
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.