Agnostic.com

7 1

Spread or let nature take its course.

Writing on religion i fail to see (with regret) the inharent immorality of religion. Although (those who read this will agree) there is no morality either. As Nietzsche (i hope i spelled that right) said in his parable of a madman, religion has some good qualities. For example, community building. When the time comes, it will be inevitable that atheism will be prevolent (when the economy deems religion to be unprofitable.) However, should those of us who know better to spread atheism or does religion do more good for the community than bad right now? Or can atheism even be spread because emotions outweigh logic? Would spreading atheism be wise? We can see through history what happens when religion is spread to nee areas.

funknstuff 3 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dare say community existed prior to religion.
A community is a community, religion only partitions communities that already exist.

You fail to see the immorality in religion ?. So you do not think that the god of the old testament that kills non Jewish babies and advocates the stoning of women is moral ?.

People who proselytize for any reason are uniformly annoying. I'll discuss, I'll debate, I'll ridicule, but I will not proselytize. YMMV

I find skepticism (and atheism within that framework) profoundly satisfying emotionally.

The problems with saying that "religion" helps the community are the facts that A) they sometimes overstate that good (via magical thinking that no one is supposed to argue with) for PR purposes, B) the "good" is often used as a cover for immoral purposes ("prosperity gospel", Oral Roberts, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Joel Osteen, etc), and C) institutions (and politics) are firmly in place to make it difficult for anyone or anything else to encroach upon that niche of helping (or fleecing) the community.

Taking their word for it that they are "doing good" for the community is a breeding ground for corruption and immorality--and often we do not see that until it spills into the light of day in ways they can't stop. (Ted Haggart paying male prostitutes for meth and a massage, but certainly NOT gay sex!)

Religion is a scam. Myths are treated as reality in order to make people afraid of Hell, and to get them to pay money to the clergy in order to avoid the mythical Hell.

Science should prevail over religion. It would be better for all of us.

As for fellowship, we can have clubs and other social gatherings without the scam of religion getting in the way.

Spreading the word of anything is puerile. It states that you know best and we know that none of us know best for anyone else.

I find it quite offensive that anyone, whether atheist, Christian or Manchester United supporter should tell me to ‘correct my ways’

I do what I do and I don’t care what you do so long as you don’t cause grief for my family.

My response is let nature take its course and if that includes marching up and down with placards and slogans so be it. Just don’t expect me on the line!

@funknstuff Saying that all other replies suck is a bad move, especially if you're looking to be a part of this community.

There are a legion of immoralities in religion, so that looking for just one is a bit of a pointless task. But let me give you a favorite of mine for an example. Most religious texts are extremely vague, which means that they can be and are interpreted many different ways, as many as there are followers. This is what helps to make religions popular. The problem with that is, that when people interpret they are basically making things up as they go along. That of course is what we all do to some degree, but the problem comes when those who honestly admit their moral code is of human origin, enter debate with the religious, because the religious will then claim falsely that their moral code comes not from themselves but from a higher source. This not only distorts the debate unfairly but also because the religious do not feel that they have any need to address the opinions or the critical judgment of the rest of humanity, it easily becomes a way to justify any criminal or immoral conduct they wish to partake of.

Which is in part, why it is used to justify the oppression of women and children, rape, multilation, torture, genocide, anti-environmentalism, anti birth control, class bias, anti -science, anti-medicine and hygienic misbehavior, among many other crimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.