Agnostic.com

15 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Amen to that!!!!

I thought of a meme instead

Totally right on, and it happens freaking all the time.

Cool. At this rate religion is sure to be gone in less than 100 years.

The article attributed it to a change in tax codes, but I question how they can actually know the cause.

It could be from a drop of elderly followers who may have donated a larger per capita amount? Maybe, it was just smaller donations? I am not sure how the cause can be determined.

Bit by bit, the masses are being stripped of their resources. The church is feeling it. The ultra wealthy aren't making up for it. Side note: all the grandstanding from old money, regarfing huge donations, when Notre Dame was on fire.... same problem.

I don't see a 'yay' here. It's about a dumb tax code. People don't just "give," they do it for the tax write-off. Right?
I wouldn't give any of them a dime anyway.

Still $124 Billion is $124 Billion too much. Also, considering religious groups don't pay taxes, we should not be giving anything to any group that indirectly funds churches. If they are for Jesus let Jesus give.

My first question would be how they could possibly know those numbers. Churches are not required to tell anyone what they receive in donations. (If I'm missing something, someone educate me.)

My second question would be to myself: what would motivate them to make up a huge number to indicate they are getting less money in donations? Could it be to motivate people to give them even more money?

Actually they are required to as a non-profit, and donors also report donations on thier tax filings as deductions.

They all make up shit so people give them money - its thier fucking business model. 😉

@1of5 The IRS website says, " In addition, churches and certain church-affiliated organizations are excepted from filing."

@greyeyed123 [google.com]

Tax law is complex, so they get around it somehow if they can

@1of5 "Every organization exempt from federal income tax under Internal Revenue Code section 501 ( a ) must file an annual information return except:

1. A church, an interchurch organization of local units of a church, a convention or association of churches,
  2. An integrated auxiliary of a church,
  3. A church-affiliated organization that is exclusively engaged in managing funds or maintaining retirement programs,
  4. A school below college level affiliated with a church or operated by a religious order,
  5. Church-affiliated mission societies if more than half of their activities are conducted in, or are directed at persons in, foreign countries,
  6. An exclusively religious activity of any religious order,"

[irs.gov]

@greyeyed123 from the document posted:

The IRS imposes recordkeeping and substantiation rules on donors of charitable
contributions and disclosure rules on charities that receive certain quid pro quo
contributions.
Donors must have a bank record or written communication from a charity for any
monetary contribution before the donors can claim a charitable contribution on their federal
income tax returns.
Donors are responsible for obtaining a written acknowledgment from a charity for any
single contribution of $250 or more before the donors can claim a charitable contribution on
their federal income tax returns.
Charitable organizations are required to provide a written disclosure to a donor who
receives goods or services in exchange for a single payment in excess of $75.

So it does get reported.

@1of5 Those are only for donors who want to write it off their taxes.

"Charitable organizations are required to provide a written disclosure to a donor who
receives goods or services in exchange for a single payment in excess of $75."

This means that if a donor wants a receipt from a charitable organization, they can get one. I get one every year from my college for my donations. I never bother to write it off my taxes.

Moreover, a few lines down, "No disclosure statement is required when: [...] There is only an intangible religious benefit provided to the donor. The intangible religious benefit must be provided to the donor by an organization organized exclusively for religious purposes, and must be of a type that generally is not sold in a commercial transaction outside the donative context."

Thank god! (Snark)

As long as it is evangelical Christians declining not the few who actually do charitable work

bobwjr Level 10 July 3, 2019

You never know, but almost certainly some of that spare money that went into the collecting boxes, will now be going to charities.

Hooray

bobwjr Level 10 July 3, 2019

What a pleasant news!
Thank you for sharing.

Maybe there is hope.

Well the preachers will just have to get used to smaller private jets then.

it couldn't not happen for a better group of people!

I love it! What a hopeful sign!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.