Agnostic.com

14 2

Why do we label everything?

Why do we label everything about ourselves and everything else? Why can't we just be?

ArtemisDivine 7 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I was referring to the excess labeling that is not helpful and makes things confusing or has negative connotations."

Because we can.

And the more convoluted the label, the more intelligent the labeller thinks s/he is......

😉

I was referring to the excess labeling that is not helpful and makes things confusing or has negative connotations. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.

It is our need to understand things, to enforce order in our world.

Part of this might relate back to the "us" and "them" discussion that was raised yesterday... [agnostic.com] and I think it's still valid when referring to labels. Labels, by design, define & identify. If we are defining people (or aspects/characteristic of people), then there isn't much of a leap to link it to the "us" and "them" theory.

I think it may serve some good as well as bad. Allowing people to connect on some shared aspect of themselves, allows them to potentially grow and share experiences, to feel less alone. If it's used to discriminate, then obviously that's an issue. But I suspect it's not the label's fault, more the one using for malice.

As far as labeling things, I would think that's just practical; hand me the "thing without a name" next to the other "thing without a name"... not super helpful. 😉

It would be hard to communicate without labels. Some labels are ridiculous and are used to vilify people or certain groups of people though. Our language seems to constantly be changing with new words all the time.

It helps with our identity of ourselves?

So its easy to explain to everyone else. can you imagine having 10 children without a name?

I agree. Having a general idea of concepts is good but sometimes things get too detailed

That's where I'm going with this. Sometimes there are too many labels for certain things that it makes it confusing.

I'm fine with labels as long as they aren't seen as immutable or to disallow nuance. Labels are a good way to say this is who I am, what I believe, how I live, etc., without it turning into an hour-long conversation explaining what it means to be gay/straight/bi/pan/etc, to have a particular racial heritage, to express national origin, to explain the basics of religious beliefs and moral codes and value systems, etc. As long as we use labels as a shortcut and don't apply them too rigidly, I see no harm in using labels.

Some posts on here and other social media have way too many labels for people, actions and things.

@ArtemisDivine I think I noticed the most labeling here

Labeeling is a lazy device so that we do not have to deal with the specific instance.

hardly. calling it a lazy device is merely a lazy answer by someone not willing to do the research and find the truth.

It's how our mind works. it's not necessarily a conscious decision.

We label everything so that we can easily refer to them later.

That's why we have names, dates, addresses, numbers, etc.

I eschew most labels. However, some are beneficial to help with understanding certain things. A lot of people don't know how to understand something without a label.
Unfortunately, labels are frequently used to marginalize others.
I'd rather we all "just be".

Because it's what we've been programmed to do by those who profit by keeping us divided.

Your response is so much better than mine. Wish I'd read it before I posted.

Comparisons are not healthy. 🙂 Your's was good.

Truth! @LimeySteve Also @KKGator used the word "eschew" and that counts for extra (imaginary) points. 😉 I learned a new word today.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.