Agnostic.com

36 5

Would you allow your child to be given a christian baptism because it is important to your partner's family?

Even if you know that there is no such thing as original sin and your partner agrees that a baptism is just a tradition but it's important to their family as it is a tradition they feel is necessary. Would you allow it? Would you go to the event? Would you be open with your growing child dispel the nonsense that the child would hear when they are around their christian grandparents? Anyone deal with a partner that's reasonable and doesn't practice the religion of their birth but their family does?

4EvanSake 6 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but I'm in a different position from most parents. I don't have a partner and technically my daughter doesn't have a dad. I've been divorced for about 25 years and I adopted her a couple of years ago. No husband = no dad. Those with a partner would have a much more difficult time.

No, because I wouldn’t be coherent with what batism ask to the parents and because I don’t believe, so... no!

Yes, I was baptised as an infant. Even though I don't believe. I feel that as a person grows they should have the greatest number of experiences to draw from. In this way they will have sufficent evidence to make their own decisions about what they believe.

Nope. An early baptism is one thing that fucked me up sooo bad. Was like 12. Had no idea what I believed but it made me feel super guilt

No. Even if my wife wanted I would object. I Believe that the individual should have the right to make that decision when he is mature enough to deside for himself. I have two sons who were raised in a non relgious environment. I let them decide for them selfs what to believe. One is a athiest and the other the attends church with his wife. I myself and my wife are athiets.

MrLee Level 5 Mar 17, 2018

I personally wouldn't have bothered. My ex wanted to do it, presumably under pressure from her family (and probably a bit from my mother.) I went along with it. It's a harmless ritual and was a good excuse for a family get-together. Which in turn was a chance for my mother to get some smug satisfaction about how ill my father was (they'd divorced over 20 years previously.)

He stopped believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. I don't think he believes in God or Jesus, but it's been a while since we've discussed it, and I leave it for him to raise the subject. It's for him to figure out. No pressure from me in any particular direction.

Believe it or not, I let my own son be baptized. I was young and didn't know any better and let family pressure influence me. Now I woultn't let him go near a church, much less let a delusional priest pour water on him while muttering undecipherable ejacultations.

I have 3 children none are baptized, both the women I had children with understood from the start brainwashing would not occur until they were old enough too consent, the older two are in their 30's and still atheist, the youngest is in his early 20's and atheist and his mother considered herself to be a devout christian.

No.

No, they would know ahead of time how I'm raising my child.

Why did Christ get baptized if he was born without sin? The fuckin' Bible has to make sense. Gets my mad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.