Agnostic.com

47 1

How long have you been an agnostic/atheist?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A little over 30 years. Long story, but I was Lutheran first, then converted to Catholicism at about 19.

My entire life.

Mojo Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

For a good 30-35 years, but only recently starting to verbalize to friends. My family suspects, but I haven't come out to them. I have Trump supporters in my family, so it would not go over well.

agnostic before I knew there was such a word, back in the mists of time

When I was about 8 years old I told my mother that I thought the stories they told in Sunday school were nice but some of the kids seemed to think they were real. She was not pleased. But, that's who I was and still am.

JudyA Level 2 Dec 20, 2017

I am 59, I described myself as agnostic from my 30's to 40. I finally summoned up the courage to admit that I really do not believe about 45. So about 30 years.

a very long time ago... it just does not make sense

Was satisfied with calling myself an agnostic from 2010-2013; as I curated more friendships with more straight atheists I became more confident in the idea and all likelihood that none exist. That point was summer 2013.

Since I was 8 years old, after attending church with my parents all my life, I could not make sense of "miracles."
Do in Sunday school, when the verses were read, I would ask the teacher, "How could this happen?" I would either get a lame answer, or, "You have to have faith."
It happened often enough, I just knew it was fractured fairytales, you know, like in Rocky and Bullwinkle.
The teacher talked to my parents and told them I ask too many questions. I got in major trouble when I got home, with what is a beating. I was forced to go to church, but even at ages 8 through 9, so could pick out the inconsistencies of the bible. Until I was out if the house at 17, I had to go to church. I had no one to talk to about it. In fact I was afraid to tell people, I didn't believe in God.
I finally "came out" as a non-believer when I was in my forties. Fortunately, the subject came up with my husband's brother and his wife.
Well, I'll be canned, they had come to the same conclusion, just at a later time in their lives. My husband was an agnostic, but eventually an atheist. Since then, I not had a problem saying how I feel about religion, or anything else.

I recall the light went on while in grade 11, when I challenged a nun on some religious issue long ago forgotten. Her response was not only defensive and illogical but she ended in a huff, giving me the impression that I had disrespected her and shouldn't have had the audacity to ask such a question. From that point on, I was on guard and finally, I came to the conclusion by the time I got to university, based on my reading, that religion was a bunch of bullshit full of hypocrisy. I found for example, that Constantine had accepted Christianity as a political strategy in order to unite the Roman empire and paid the religious intellectuals at the time to come up with an agreed upon new Testament. It was accomplished with a great deal of strife and politics with arguments even about whether or not there was a Christ. Constantine converted to Christianity but murdered his wife and his son, and later, the Church made him a Saint. Can you say hypocrisy? A lot was thrown out at the Council of Nicaea and a great deal of horse-trading was undertaken to keep certain pagan myths that were soon embraced as historical Christianity including the virgin birth.

I'd have to say from the day I was born.. I was in sunday school as a preschooler, and argued with the priest... it just never made sense to me.. I didn't know the term.. but I knew what smelled like BS.. My parents are both religious lite.. so it wasn't strongly presented to me.. but it was encouraged.. but so was logic. I chose logic

Well, it started in birth. Seeing as I didn't have the mental capacity to "believe" anything, I was, by default, an atheist. Then these fucking people decided it would be a good idea to fill my head with ideas that their heads were filled with in a similar manner. Then around 17 I was all like: church is boring, god sucks, I've got more questions than I get answers.

Since childhood nuns will do that for you.

Since I was 19.

I have been an atheist for over 2 1/2 years now.

I had always been a person who was searching for "the truth" in my life. I grew up Catholic, my Dad being the Catholic, and my mom a Presbyterian. I was very lucky, as they both wanted me to believe in god and Jesus, but they didn't push it on me. They let me walk my own path. Don't get me wrong, I had to go to church every Sunday, but when I made the choice not to go through confirmation at age 15, they were fine with it. Just as they were fine when I decided I would attend other churches.

I then tried to find the one church that would work for me. I knew I didn't want to be Catholic, as I found their dogma far too overbearing, and more than a bit ridiculous. I found a non-denominational church in college and I was re-baptized, happy to make the choice for myself, instead of having it thrust upon me as an infant.

But, once I left college I moved around a lot, so I was looking for a good church. All I could find were churches that were constantly asking for money. It was all about money, and not about teaching or preaching. I got tired of that, so I decided I would keep searching...and manage things in regards to my spirituality on my own. I became one of those "spiritual but not religious" folks.

I had always had a problem with the Old Testament version of god, and I fell into that trap of saying, "Well Jesus and the New Testament is okay...I just don't follow that Old Testament stuff." That worked for a while. Then one day (in February 2015), I finally did some real thinking about it. I logicked it through.

Yes I supported the NT message, but not the OT message. BUT, if the NT message is correct, then that would make Jesus the son of the OT god I didn't like. If I couldn't support or worship the OT god, how then could I worship the NT message. Not to mention that I could not, in the least, take the OT seriously, as I felt most of what were the bedrock foundations (Adam and Eve, Noah, Bable, etc.) were all made up stories.

So, if I couldn't worship the OT, I couldn't worship the NT. And I had always thought that other religions were BS. So if they were BS, what made mine any different? Nothing really.

And at that point, I became an atheist. I had no reason to believe that any gods existed. Now, I'm not saying there isn't a chance. But I think the probability of the existence of any gods is about 0.00001%. In all actuality, I'm an apatheist (thank you for that one Mr. Deity). As an apatheist, my stance is that even if a god does exist, I don't care. Even if one does exist, I do not think it is worthy of worship. But to be honest, if one does exist, I don't think it would care.

I would say I have been an atheist since I was 25 (I'm 34 now). Before, I had tried different religions, trying to see if I fit in one of them, Tried Christianity, Catholicism, read both the Torah and the Koran. Nothing fit me, with how I felt. I then started reading up on atheism, and it clicked with me, that this is how I felt.

I grew up in assemblies of God Pentecostal church and around 12 or 13 I was reading the bible cover to cover for my STARS program, like girl scouts for Jesus. Well, I am logical person and like to solve things and think things though, was studying all this and so many discrepancies! I had a lot of questions and they did not get answered often, finally they stoped calling on me in class. The program has you read the bible cover to cover 4 times, once each year. If anything will make you an atheist, that will. THAT and missing band camp for church camp lol????

Honestly I'm not quite sure. I never thought about religion at all until I was probably 12 or so. I'd not been raised religious. I didn't really have any kind of thoughts about the topic until I moved to Tennessee when I was 16, and I came into direct conflict with the highly religious culture of the south. So I guess I've been identifying as an Agnostic Atheist since 16, and I'm currently 25.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

For as long as I can remember... I'm sure there was a "migration" though I think it just came from maturity and reasoned thought!!

I have always been but the time I started to realize this I must have been about 12. I grew up very strictly mormon but contradiction upon contradiction soon folowed. I eventually became exposed to the internet, various things that I have read, and other non religous folk. It started to make less and less sense each day to the point that I started becoming mad about the fact that I felt that I was essentially indoctrinated, and that it was a lot of wasted time.

I’m now 22, up until 17/18 I considered myself a Christian. Was def gone by 18/19 & I am never going back!! Best decision ever!

A little over 12 years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.