13 1

POLL Do you think that religion of all sorts should be banned from Europe?

I know that there is something called freedom of religion, but what about my rights? I for one find it offensive when I walk passed a Church or Mosque or Ghudwhara or Synagogue. I feel it infringes my rights. What about you? (Please give me your thoughs in the comments)

View Results Add Comment
By Krisseman
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
13 comments

No, it wouldn't work, it would only drive them underground, and it would cause the moderates to become fanatics, and cause the fantices become even more extreme.

mikebank Level 2 Nov 16, 2017

You can't ban ideas, even silly ones !! Anyway, Christians were banned in Rome and it didn't stop their movement growing, might even have helped ?

OutlawJosie Level 4 Nov 15, 2017

I voted no.
The religious have the right to put up their buildings too. In fact, some of the old cathedrals are quite beautiful and are architectural marvels.

As much as I despise religions, they all might as well be worshipping Bozo The Clown as far as I'm concerned, but they still have their rights for now.

Paul628 Level 7 Nov 14, 2017
All hail Bozo!
I prefer it. Not that I love clowns :\

It would be good if you could ban religion but I don't see it happening anytime soon as religious organizations just have too much power.

Harleyman Level 6 Nov 14, 2017

They banned alcohol and practically invented organized crime in the USA. So they banned drugs, and you see how that is working for us. They used to ban books, which guaranteed that they would be best sellers. Banning stuff seems to be counter productive. I personally kinda like the idea of individual liberty. Just kidding. I actually LOVE IT. Let religion die on it's own.

ThomasMeador Level 7 Nov 14, 2017

England tried to ban certain religions. The king banned Catholicism and punished its practice with death. It didn't work. People practiced in private, they made secret songs and poems to identify themselves to each other. How do you think the Twelve Days of Christmas song came about? Banning religion simply doesn't work.

ErichZannIII Level 6 Nov 14, 2017

Banning religion would just incite a violent response. Intensely violent. We know what happens when atheism is enforced; often, it just results in the kind of tyrannical regime that Europe has learned to avoid. Slowly but surely, religion is dying on its own. Let it. Europe will shine as a beacon to the rest of the world.

JosephHarrison Level 4 Nov 14, 2017

That is a decision for the people or Europe.

wordywalt Level 6 Nov 14, 2017

Ban all of them. Religion is a business and should be treated as a business subject to the same taxes, fees, rules, protocols, and laws as any other business.

betpaq Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

Part of me would love to ban it globally, BUT... if religion is the ONLY reason that some do not steal, abuse, rape, kill at will, I'll keep some religion. It would be nice if it was a somewhat watered down version that poses no threat to society, though.

Zster Level 5 Nov 14, 2017
The notion that anyone would only attempt to be decent because they fear 'hell' is beyond strange to me, don't you fear other people? the law? are you not aware that he who lives by the sword dies by the sword? Just beyond weird to me, especially while politicians claim to be christians, I don't know what better example there is of amoral, lying sacks of shit than politicians, how can you look at that and be like, oh yeah, being religious is for morals? Bizarre.

I think education is more important, if everyone received rational education, the churches would disappear. I'd be more inclined to support a ban on religious education in schools and religious programs in the media.

GothRik Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

I am angry enough to think that banning religion would expose the religious for being the ignorant, sick, mentally unstable, racist, sexist, sheep-like zealots that they are... but that's like quitting something cold turkey. We need to bring a real philosophical dialogue and mindfulness back into popularity, we need to discuss the meaning of the words we use to gain common ground and normalize rational, personal philosophical inquiry, or at the very least dispose of the idea that heaven or nothingness awaits after death and get people caring about who and where they are right now and not just 'looking forward to retirement'.

JHeyoka Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

I find that banning things causes more issues than it solves.

silvereyes Level 7 Nov 14, 2017
Agreed. Look what happened when Obama talked about gun control after shootings. Every time he spoke out against guns their sales would skyrocket. Have you ever looked to see what Sturm Ruger and Smith and Wesson stocks did while Obama was president? Hell if we had sold everything we had at the beginning of his term and bought Ruger and Smith stocks we would be rich today!
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion