Agnostic.com

7 2

Regarding baby atheists

It's interesting (to a point) reading things from the baby atheists. Most seem to gravitate around the same questions and issues and resources. Rarely do we see any new questions or ideas. In fact, I'm tempted to say "never" instead of rarely to emphasize how rare it really is. But you can't justify absolutes.

Same questions (and I do mean the same). Same statements. Same references. Same conclusions.

JeffMesser 8 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ideas evolve . So do people . They go through the same processes along similar paths. What is not to expect?

There are some aging atheists who don't mind patiently holding the hand of a baby atheist as they ask their questions and slowly come to their conclusions. When not in the mood to converse with those still questioning, just keep on scrolling on to the next post and let others answer.

We all learn from hearing questions others ask, and sometimes it helps solidify our own thoughts.

I know what you mean but some people need a period to vent and adjust. If it is still happening at Level 6 or above, then there is a problem I would suggest

There is always an adjustment period.

Just like the newly religious explore - so do baby atheists.

If you get burned out by the repetition let other members deal with them for a bit.

There's so few of us in the world I don't usually mind. I was there myself. I just didn't have social media at the time!

it actually kind of amazes me that people from so many different walks come to similar conclusions. I know that Hitch and others point them in a direction so it's not all by chance, but as someone mentioned below it is indicative of a rational thought process. It does get awfully repetitive though.

I didn't hear Hitch or any of the others and went through the same process. It's deconversion. It takes some puzzling even after the moment of 'Hey I don't believe?!'.

You have to pick apart the past to get comfortable in your future. 👍

What exactly is a baby atheist?

people who are at the beginning of their atheist journey.

@JeffMesser Thank you..I presume it’s a term of your own invention. I think we have to show a great deal of tolerance toward the newly unblinkered. The questions that we see repeated with a regular monotony here are just an indicator that they need affirmation that they have made the right choice, it’s a natural step to confidence and an ability to assert their own thoughts without any need of the agreement of others. We should just be pleased that they are now challenging and thinking for themselves, even though we have heard repeated the same questions posed ad nauseam...it’s all quite new to them, and novel too for them to be able to discuss freely how they feel with like minded others.

@Marionville you're certainly right and I try to be nice to them. at times it just wears on one's patience.

It is not some grand intellectual achievement to become an atheist. It does take personal courage to turn away from mythical fundamentalist dogmas but that should just be the first step in growing toward deep awareness and appreciation for reality.

Stewing in anger and grievances is like being stuck in a swamp.

So? I certainly hope you don't think this is the first time someone's pointed out the exact same thing you just did.

To me Same questions (and I do mean the same). Same statements. Same references. Same conclusions. means thier thinking is sound.

1of5 Level 8 July 12, 2019

sure.

@JeffMesser witty and to the point

Maybe their thinking really is sound but it becomes boring to hear the same grievances over and over.

As a negative declaration atheism might be necessary, but it would seem happy and productive to then move ahead with positivity.

@WilliamFleming ...but it becomes boring to hear the same grievances over and over.

Correct, which is why I'm complaining about seeing this - again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:372919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.