Agnostic.com

19 1

What are your favorite songs even though they may have religious under tones?

Name the song and artist.

GoodMan 7 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"fuck me Jesus" by Marduk

I don't have any favorites but I do enjoy listening to other bands uncommon to the world such as Fupu, MysteriuM, and Siniestra. (They are known but not as open and spread like most hollywood song artists if ya get what I mean)

Steven Wilson (artist), is probably my favorite musician who's still making music today.

For a long time, he fronted the band Porcupine Tree. The first few albums have a space rock (his word) sound not unlike Radiohead and Pink Floyd. From "In Absentia" to "The Incident", they had more of a metal element not unlike Tool.

FROM THIS ERA, the band wrote a song called "What Happens Now?" which can be deemed an atheist's song. It's on the EP "Nil Recurring".

He's also made several solo albums. My favorite of these is "Grace for Drowning", and on that album there's the song "Deform to Form a Star". I don't know if it's pro-atheist, but it sends chills down my neck every time I hear it.

People Get Ready by The Impressions (Curtis Mayfield)
And I love the soundtrack from The Fighting Temptations.
Somebody to Love by Queen

what if god was one of us. joan osborne

I like that song so much, and the line that says only the pope in Rome is calling God on the phone. LOL

god shuffled his feet - crash test dummies

creed - petra

War of Change by Thousand Foot Krutch. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I have no doubt there are others.

I like that song, too

With a spirit, 009 Sound System

Tejas Level 8 Oct 4, 2017

"Don't hate the other side when they're right" - - - I like it!

If I Should Fall from Grace with God - Young Dubliners, the Pogues, etc.
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia - Reba McEntire
Amazing Grace - Lesley Garrett and Ladysmith Black Mambazo do a great version weaving together Amazing Grace and Nearer My God to Thee. Yep, they're religious songs, but the combo is especially lovely. And, Amazing Grace is a fun one to sing in 4-part a cappella.
Sonny - Hayley Westenra
Step It Out Mary - The High Kings, other Irish bands/artists
The Weaver and the Factory Maid - Steeleye Span
The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
99 Luftballons - Nena
Where Do You Go to My Lovely - Keith Harkin's version, though a few other artists have also covered this song nicely.
American Pie - Don McLean
Paper in Fire - John Cougar Mellencamp
Old Fashioned Love Song - Three Dog Night
(I could go on for at least a few more pages. I was a live music blogger for 2 years in the Fort Collins music scene, totally immersed in music, so my list of favorite songs also includes some from local artists that I've left out, and even without those songs, my list got really long while I was so music-focused for so long.)

If anyone is on spotify and wants to check out my favorite songs, my Starred album on spotify is a pretty good start to my favorites list.(https://open.spotify.com/user/128264634/playlist/22eh5CthYaWhOHnrK01Q9N)

Nice list. I’m partial toward Kenny Rogers

I only gave Part 1 of my several lists - did you just peep in my other lists? LOL

"No angel born in hell can break that satan spell" - Don McClean the song's full of quotable lines.

From The Gambler: "There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done" and I'd like to quote this separately:

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run" . . . a real man's words, specially if you know that Murphy's Law quote, "A Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces" LOL

And, related to those lines, though not from a song is Dirty Harry telling his superior officer in Magnum Force, "A man must know his limitations."

Bob James and his composite group, "Four Play" made a very nice version of Amazing Grace included in their Christmas album. They also got guitarist Russ Freeman with them who also happen to have a equally beautiful Christmas album . . . and also David Benoit, Michael Franks, Diana Krall, Kenny G and don't forget the GRP Christmas Collection compiled by Dave Grusin.

Also try to give a listen to Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea and Paul MacCartney's Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, a typical Sir Paul simply in a childish mood once again. And the one by the Glee group, Do You Want To Build A Snowman? with various voice talents.

Just An Old Fashioned Love Song was composed by that genius of a little guy Paul Williams, and, yes, I like the version of The Three Dog Night and also their version of Sunlight by Jesse Colin Young &The Youngbloods:

". . . touching makes you understand"
and the original version happen to be equally good:

A much "clearer" version is by Dan Folgelberg:

and here's another 'sunlight" song by Michael Tomlinson:

(acoustic)
(full instrumental & vocals backup) "well, I don't know you, but I know your heart."

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. Gets me every time. T-T

That one's on my list too. I'm not sure which recording I like best, probably Jeff Buckley's or K.D. Lang's, but it's also fun to sing, religious themed or not.

I love the Christmas songs I'm guilty lol I really like the album by pentatonix

no such thing as guilty feeling, Lilimum and GoodMan, if you love something or someone.

And, GoodMan, it's "but the very next day, you gave it away" I like the drums in that song, so simple but I can't catch the rhythm . . . no hope for a dumbnut like me!

that's a good christmas album by Pentatonix

Everbody should love Chrismas songs it's a special time of the year.

Me too! Everyone I know get's all uppity about Christmas music being over-played, but I can't help but love it. Especially Carol of the Bells. Beautiful piece imho.

I like Christmas music, too, some of it anyway. I love learning old traditional carols from around the world, and used to be in choirs that performed really cool holiday music like that. Hallelujah Chorus is also fun to sing in a large choir. My favorite holiday song, though, is "Stop the Cavalry", by Jona Lewie, closely followed by "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", "Wash Our Socks for Christmas", "A Spaceman Came Down", and "Santa's Stuck Up In the Chimney".

SonnyMlaPH: I know. I added the “tore it apart”, because it reminds me of a break up I was going threw when I first heard it...Thanks anyway
Also: where I’m from we have what’s called “guilty pleasures”, so there is such as a thing.

TerryCarnley: They say "it's the time of the year when the world falls in love"

Jim314 : Russ Freeman and David Benoit have a nice version of Carol Of The Bells and also Russ Freeman 's God Bless You Merry Gentlemen.

spirit in the sky- norman greenbaum
my sweet lord = george harrison
in the year 2525 - zager and evans

“I really wanna know you”.. ???????? .George Harrison

I'm a Beatles fan. My Sweet Lord got entangled in some "copyright infringement" case or what they termed “subconscious plagiarism” but it is a nice song and I like it too. "I really wanna see you but it takes so long my Lord . . ." I wonder if God whispered to George, "you're seeing me right now, I'm everywhere and everything. Look in the mirror and you'll see Me there looking at you!"

Spirit In The Sky reminds me of Carly Simon's Life Is Eternal.

I find "2525" kinda amusing but it sure packs a wallop

Please excuse the question marks. I didn’t intend them.

you asked for it, you got it:

Hard Core Poetry – Tavares
Alone Again, Naturally – Gilbert O’Sullivan
Over Joyed – Stevie Wonder
Used To Be – Stevie Wonder w/Charlene
We May Never Pass This Way Again – Seals and Croft
Friends Of Mine – The Guess Who
Share The Land – The Guess Who
Too Much Heaven On Their Minds – from Jesus Christ Superstar
I.G.Y. – Donald Fagen
Harvest For The World – Isley Brothers
What’s Going On? – Marvin Gaye
Bright Eyes - Simon and Garfunkel
Sounds of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
Ever Since The World Began – Survivor
Ashes To Ashes – Dennis Lambert
Silence Is Golden – Four Seasons/Tremeloes
Two Thousand Years – Billy Joel
When You Wish Upon A Star – Billy Joel’s version
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes – Michael Bolton’s Version
Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Eric Clapton’s Version
Tears In Heaven – Eric Clapton
Imagine – John Lennon
Russians – Sting
We Live Under The Same Sun – Scorpions
We Are Next In Line – After Image
Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
Heal The World - Michael Jackson
American Pie - Don McLean

. . . end of Part 1, he-he!

Wow, what a list! I’m familiar with most, but not all. Comments on some that I like and own:

Overjoyed - love it (said I’d like that played at my wedding if I get married)

What’s going on - Timeless and still relevant

Tears in Heaven - one of the saddest, most reflective pop sings in recent history

Imagine: Favorite part: “you may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday...”

Heal the world: filled with hope and optimism

Losing my religion: great song, refer to my previous comments when you referenced it.

GoodMan: in "Losing My Rekigion" I think the guy is talking to God.

In "Bright Eyes" I think the guy's slowly turning atheist.

and, oh, just want to remind you that's Part 1 of several . . . LOL

@GoodMan: I stand corrected: "Bright Eyes" is about someone crossing over to the other side. It was explained to me by a friend only yesterday. His children sang it during their mom's funeral some years back. Here are some lines:

Is it a kind of a dream
Floating out on the tide
Following the river of death downstream
Oh, is it a dream?

There's a fog along the horizon
A strange glow in the sky
And nobody seems to know where it goes

There's a high wind in the trees
A cold sound in the air
And nobody ever knows when you go
And where do you start?
Oh, into the dark

I would love to see a national anthem that didn't speak about war and victory but instead about our homeland. I like "America the Beautiful" except for the "god shine his grace on thee" line.

I'm a Filipino but I also happen to like "America The Beuatiful" and I like America.

Emerson Lake & Palmer's version of "Jerusalem." So stirring---enough to make me want to be a believer, LOL.

I happen to like From The Beginning, "there might have been things I missed, but don't be unkind, it don't mean I'm blind . . . you see it's all clear, you were meant to be here from the beginning." aaaaaand their version of Peter Gunn, he-he!

You are not alone. Music is my religion, too, and I won't ever lose it.

I'm a fan of Dancing in the Rain by Shane Harper, even if he did play Josh in God's Not Dead.

I'll have to check that out ????????

Nice perk up song and very nice video, too . . . reminds me of Sesame Street

I don't really care for or like Songs. I prefer ambient easy listening stuff. Life to me is Vibration, Humans are the one's making a Language for themselves. That other life forms can not understand.

I like different types and genres of music; ambient easy listening included.

"good, good, good vibrations" - The Beach Boys . . . I mean music, like the subliminals and sollffeggios, are what keeps me company while browsing through our Community.

"Jesus Children of America" Stevie Wonder. It's just a great song... and it's Stevie Wonder!

I love Stevie Wonder, but I've never heard it. Is it Gospel or what genre?

Songs In The Key Of Life

Epica -Cry for the moon, Therion- Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah

I'll have to check them out. I'm not familiar. Thanks for sharing ????????

Please excuse the question marks. I didn't intend them

I used to call Cry For The Moon a kinda heavy "clenched fist" song though it's much more than that. Crying out for justice. You're kinda hopeless when you serenade the moon.

One of the main reasons why I got disillusioned is because church and gov't elders don't practice what they preach.

Certainly the spirit of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Sin City of the biblical lore, has risen thru the mass media

"Love thy neighbor's wife and daughter". . . "you're 12 years old sex is legal" - Stevie Wonder.

the Stevie Wonder song, btw, is "Used To Be" he sang with Charlene . . . "dignity and courage were the measure of a man."

"Superman was killed in Dallas" - that's JFK, fyi

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.