Agnostic.com

63 4

I am not an atheist.

I am an agnostic. In other words, I don't know if there is a God or not. I need more information to have an opinion. Why is it that everyone thinks that agnosticism and atheism are the same thing? What are you? Agnostic or Atheist? And why?

PoetryofDoubt 3 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another bible liar wandered in....good riddance....not worth my spit to respond....he fondles a few pages and cannot reason upon the hundreds of rapes murders enslavements falsehoods and attacks upon science he could read on a few dozen more pages that still make me puke reading any of it

Nobody can be 100% about anything really. You have to make your decisions based on the information and evidence you have in front of you. I'm an atheist because I don't have evidence that their is a God. Not because I'm rebellious. Pascal's wager doesn't help anybody. My thoughts about God and the bible is that if that God in the bible really existed, and the bible was completely true and not fables, he doesn't deserve any type of praise or worship at all. He was a genocidal maniac according to his precious book. Read the bible for yourself, and see what type of god you believe in.

My actions are atheistic in nature. When I make a decision it is based on my senses and what I know about a naturalistic existence. My ignorance of the existence of a supreme being and its baffling plan that involves things like eye cancer and wasps is irrelevant to my decision making process.
Aron Ra put it simply. Atheism means without religion. As such I am an atheist who acts on what knowledge that can be demonstrated. I try not to let my ignorance interfere.

Yes you are a mis-informed Atheist and the typical Agnostic claims the word amidst false xian definitions of Atheism. There is no need to capitalize the gibberish sounds gawd gott gods. There is no evidence for the allegations regarding alleged deities Thor Apollo APHRODITE yhwh geebush jeehobah ghostholes........so you are trapped in a false conundrum.....searching for knowledge about nothing....trapped into the "proof" of a negative....the burden of proof ALWAYS FALLS UPON THE ALLEGING PARTY.....the xian dictionaries all falsely claim we Atheists "deny" an extant deity......to be an Atheist is to have zero theism inside your brain and so do Agnostics.....I walk in doors without any need for beliefs ABOUT doors because doors exist...."belief in" is a non-sequitur and syntax error.....the truth is best stated by Atheist Mark Twain: " faith is believing whatcha know ain't so " ....Agnostics and Atheists are proper nouns (unlike xians) we who have zero faiths. Period.

I'm both or on the Dawkins' scale someone shared a De-Facto Atheist

I am a non-theist, which is now the proper term for atheist. The Christians have misrepresented the definition of atheist to the point where the misrepresentation became the prevailing definition. Assholes.

What really matters is what humans should supposedly do if a God exists. Currying favor to get wishes (prayers) fulfilled does not seem especially spiritual or transcendent. And yet, that amounts to most of what religion is all about: rank superstition.

God, real or not, is irrelevant to our lives. (Say it isn't so, but if you do, have some decent evidence or something better than a fallacious argument.

If you seek clarity, study math, or any other science.

No.
Agnostics are non-theists.
You are a TYPE of theist.
A theist and an atheist are basically THE SAME THING.
True Believers.

@Storm1752 the Greek a-prefix is the direct negation not. So a- theist is not a theist.

Gnostic is to know. So a- gnostic is not known. I'm as happy to say there are no such thing as gods as I am to say there are no such thing as faeries or vampires.

@Stuttrboy Please don't feed the trolls; I know it's hard to ignore them...

Basicall atheism is disbelief. And agnosticism is unknown. So a/theist a~ being the direct negation from the Greek prefix is believer or not a believer. While a/gnostic is known or not known. One could be an agnostic atheist. And if someone asks if you believe in god and you say anything but some version of yes you are an atheist.

Wrong.
The two words are contradictory.
You cannot 'not know' and 'know' at the same time.
Sorry.

@TheMiddleWay a- is the direct negation not the opposing claim. A- theist is not a theist.

@Storm1752. You misunderstand. Gnostic means to know so agnostic is to not know. Thats why I used a/gnostic to denote the dichotomy

A/theist is the belief dichotomy. It doesnt mean you know there are no gods. Thats gnostic atheism

@TheMiddleWay a theist is someone who believes in a god or gods. So with the direct negation we are talking dichotomy not opposite view, is not a believer. Much like the direct negation of false is not true but not false.

@TheMiddleWay no it isnt its true and not true. Just like the dichotomy isn't guilty or innocent. Its guilty or not guilty. To talk to your philosophy teacher or check your text books. The literal mathematics of this is P and not P.

@TheMiddleWay T F is the value assignment not the actual claim. If P is T the -P is F thats not the same as P or -P being equal to T or F. The more accurate designation of T or -T and F or -F are superior because it doesn't allow for a non excluded middle. Thats why the law of non contradiction is a thing.

@TheMiddleWay wow you are leaping to alot of conclusions. I was only ssying true and false is not dichotomous. Because jusdging a statement as not true doesnt mean you are claiming the statement is false. I'm not sure How you got to this whole binary thing since I said p or not p is the sum of all things but true and false are not the same thing.

@TheMiddleWay like in the courtroom you judge someone guilty or not guilty. Not guilty or innocent. To claim someone is not guilty means they havent justified the claim of guilty. It does not mean you have proven them innocent. The theist claims there is a god an atheist does not believe that claim. It doe NOT mean they believe the claim is false. You either believe or you don't but you can believe that the god claim is not justified and also believe that the no gods claim is not justified.

If you cannot understand this simple concept there is no further point in talking with you.

No one can KNOW if god exists or not. He, she, it, maybe hiding under a rock on Venus. Which is why I actually don’t even like the label agnostic. ( a = without / gnos = knowledge. ) Many times I’ve actually seen it ( agnostic ) used by atheists who just don’t want to offend any theists present. Theists generally don’t care to hide who they are as beliefs in an invisible Superman is widely accepted.

Q Is there a god?
A I don't know, I'm and agnostic.
Q Do you believe in a god?
A No, I'm an atheist.

There are atheist agnostics and there are theist agnostics. I'm an atheist agnostic.

No such thing.
Calling yourself an atheistic theist would be about the same thing: it makes no sense. The words contradict each other.
No such thing as atheistic agnostic. Or a theistic agnostic.

Or a hot coldness.
Or a wet dryness.
Or a bright darkness.
Get it?

Q Is there a god?
A I don't know.
Q Do you believe in a god?
A I neither believe nor disbelieve.

@Storm1752 Read the comment. I am an atheist agnostic.
Freedom of expression permits you to re-define words as you wish. It does not make your definitions correct. It does not require others to accept your definitions.

Theism is about belief, Gnosticism is about knowledge. Therefore you can be a agnostic theist (ie believe there is a god but not know there is) or you can be an agnostic atheist (ie not believe there is a god but not know whether or not there is). Just to say you're an agnostic about a god only tells us that you cannot know if there is one, not what you believe or accept.

davers Level 7 July 17, 2019

I am a scientist meaning that I am still searching and learning. That covers all that I need to become a Humanist and Agnostic.

We do have to think more about exactly how we describe ourselves. If possible reduce the number of descriptive words without limiting our freedom of expression. Unfortunately some words carry "baggage".

I think what people care more about is being religious or non religious. Thats where agnosticism and atheism meet .

Nader Level 6 July 17, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:375020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.