Agnostic.com

7 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To improve recycling practices and ensure that recyclable materials don't end up in landfills, education and awareness play a significant role. It's also worth exploring innovative solutions and partnerships within the industry to enhance recycling efficiency.
If you're interested in further insights into recycling solutions and materials, you might want to check out wkaiglobal.com, a company specializing in PET materials. They could offer valuable information and resources to contribute positively to the recycling industry.
Thank you for your dedication to recycling, and I hope that together, we can work towards a more sustainable future.

It's truly essential work that you do in the recycling industry, and your perspective sheds light on some of the challenges faced. Proper recycling is crucial, and it's disheartening to see recyclables mixed with trash.

I work in the recycling business. I'm a sorter in a recycling plant. I'm one of those folks putting on those gloves, standing next to a conveyor and actually sorting the stuff with both hands. And from a humble sorter's point of view, I think there are so many things going wrong in this business.
For starters, we find way too much trash on our conveyors. Either people don't know how to sort their recycling from their trash properly, or they just don't care. Green truck or gray truck, as long as the stuff leaves with a truck, what's the difference?! I also hear on the TV news that too many recyclable stuff ends up on dumping grounds.
There are too many packages that are difficult or impossible to recycle. Just think about those Pringle's chips packages, wax cardboard sides and tin bottoms. We don't have time to split them apart.
I think it could be possible to improve our recycling rates big time, it would only take more political will from our governments. As for the corporations, those who put the merchandise and the packaging in our markets, it looks to me like another classic case of privatizing the profits and socializing the losses. They just cash in the profits and let the governments, the tax payers and the environment pay for the waste.
As for the recycling business itself, I think this is where the noble principles of preserving our environment go on a frontal collision with the harsh reality of cold blooded and globalized capitalism. Why should they sort their material here when the could have it sorted by some overseas cheap labor?! I work in a plant where too much stuff passes on way too fast, sorted by not enough sorters on machines that are not maintained and cleaned up properly. I see poorly sorted, contaminated material being baled up, piled up in containers and sent who knows where. I hear on the news some local buyers saying they would take all of our material if it was properly sorted. And I also hear about some shady brokers buying up our material and shipping it overseas.
I think my job is important, but it could be soooo much better.

I'd like to start with saying thank you for the work you do as unappreciated as it is. Personally when making purchases I look at the packaging as much as possible, I would not mind having to return glass bottles as it is definitely friendlier even when broken but waste Management in the area I live does not recycle glass I can understand for the sorters safety. When I'm purchasing meat products I buy from a meat market where paper is used for my purchase I do not buy fast food except on rare occasions and I stay away from styrofoam as much as possible. Again thank you for the work you do.

Give it to China. They make shoes out of it and send them to Walmart.

It repulses me the very few times I purchase socks, or cleaning supplies, or even one kitchen knife. You are now required to own a chainsaw to get at said product. Yet again, oil companies won't go down without a fight.

@Bierbasstard
I get it. You need a razor knife to open your new razor knife.

@Bierbasstard
It could become entertaining in a sad way, but we have it coming.

Maybe it can be added to the mountainous areas along i-95 in Florida. 😣

Use plastic. Eat plastic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:375937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.