Agnostic.com

14 1

Was anyone here involved with Televangelism?

Was anyone here involved with Televangelism before becoming agnostic or atheist? If so, how did you grow out of that to return to reason?

jeffy 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I quickly change the channel, that's about as involved as I get. Praise Jesus for creating the remote control!

You mean in some way other than raising the middle finger and uttering the words, "Fuck televangalism"?

When I was a kid my mom used to watch Oral Roberts. He was a long-ago Minister and faith healer. This was LOOONG ago when TV was still in black and white, and the images around him were ghostly and quivering. He would staie into the camera and exhort people to, "put your hands on your TV set and be HEALED!". He scared the living daylights out of me. He seemed more demon than spiritual to me. I couldn't understand why he wanted to be scary. Still don't.

My dad liked the 700 club. He died.

I used to contribute to them, watch them, and was a staunch Republican as well.

But I was also liberal in many ways and when Pat Robinson claimed that women should be paid less than men, since their husbands can support them, then ridiculed the "tree huggers" for wanting to save the Spotted Owl habitat, saying it took away jobs, I was DONE. I stopped contributing, and/or attending anything that had something to do with them.

Every time I think of Televangelists, these lyrics come to mind.

"Who am I? I'm not the Devil,
I can take you to my level.
Above the rocks, above the earth,
Tell me what your soul is worth.
How much money do you make?
How much will you let me take?
I will give you tranquility,
Just send you welfare checks to me.
Life is going to expire,
And your soul will burn in fire.
You will perish in the thunder,
Unless you call my hotline number.
God has asked you to make me rich,
Me and my fat-rat gaudy bitch.
On your T.V.'s late at night,
Send those checks, and I'll guide you to the light."

"God called me and then stopped by,
And he told me you're gonna die,
Unless you buy my holy water,
(Check, cash, or a money order.)
This is true, don't question me,
I'll even send you shit for free.
It's only ten buck for the call,
And I'll send a prayer, no charge at all.
Put your lips up to the screen,
Close your eyelids, and intervene,
Your lips to mine, now send the cash,
And while you're there, you can kiss my ass.
Take your paycheck, and send me half,
And I'll send you God's autograph.
I'll get you Allah's, and Buddha's too,
Even Zeus, I don't give a fuck who,
Just send me that money."

"Your total's twenty-two eleven,
For your set of keys to heaven.
Make the checks out in my name,
Me or God it's all the same.
Bring your crippled ass to me,
Pay my usher the holy fee.
I'll bless your legs, and bless your chair,
Then wheel your bitch-ass outta here.
Now a special ceremony,
This part don't cost any money.
Drip a drop of blessed water,
Now I fertilize your daughter.
Even though I fucked a hooker,
Took your baby girl and shook her,
You still buy everything I sell,
And I'm living well
See you in hell."

My mother dragged my sweaty child ass to Jimmy Swaggart, Billy Graham and that PTL Baker nightmare.

Oh no, how did that affect you as a child? Was it uncomfortable listening to all their nonsense then or did you feel the adults were acting in your interest then?

@jeffy Mostly just really bored and annoyed. I saw myself as more of a observer of it all I guess. I was even as a kid well past being influenced by any of it.

@BufftonBeotch That's good. I don't think kids should be drawn into that sort of stuff, nor anybody else really. But especially not kids who don't have a choice.

@jeffy I don't know. I took my kids to Macbeth pretty young. I'm not sure they are over that even yet, Good.

I've never been religious, but if I could make the money those assholes make, I could fake it as well as they do.

JimG Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

i've watched a lot of youtube videos and the one that i "liked" best was the lakeland florida revival with todd bentley....i didn't keep watching because i was moved but watched because that guy is so full of shit his eyes are brown. never involved with any...i know a guy that actually sent money to robert tilton... he's full blown atheist now but used to send his last dollar to robert tilton thinking that he would get something out of it like tilton promises. he is now kicking himself in the ass for being so gullible.

Never trust someone with Weird Hair!

Hold on to your wallet!

I was fortunate to be part of a group of evangelicals that were very distrustful of televangelists and felt they did not represent us well at all. As one scandal after another unfolded, it was a view that served us well, I can tell you.

My 2nd wife's stepfather was a cousin of Jim Bakker but that's as close a connection as I ever had.

I once started watching them out of curiosity. Geez....I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But it is helpful to know exactly what one is up against. I just feel sad for the followers. They are just trying to find the right 'road' to morality, and many are good people who get sucked in, as with ANY religion. But besides giving lots of money to their mega-rich pastors, I'm sure a lot of them would end up "drinking the Koolaid". Sad.

I always found televangelism intellectually and morally repugnant.

Amen and hallelujah! 🙂 I grew up with Oral Roberts faith healing on TV, then they opened the Oral Roberts Medical Center. Where was the need?

@Sticks48 I have a friend that went to Oral Roberts University. I really hope that's not where she received her Occupational Therapy degree.

@kiramea LOL!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.