Agnostic.com

16 0

So I'm in a long distance relationship with two people. Both are very sweet, smart, funny individuals and I love them wholeheartedly. My problem right now is, I'm giving up quite a lot to be with them. I am not comfortable enough to go into specifics here in the open, but suffice it to say I'm beginning to doubt the strength of this relationship. I've seen long distance stuff work before, and beautifully so. My heart says to stick with this because in less than two weeks I'm moving out to Oregon where they live and I'll be only a half hour drive rather than the current thirty hours and it won't be a long distance thing anymore. My head though..it's telling me I'm rushing this and being illogical.

Thursday was a hard day. I woke up at midnight and was at work until seven p.m. Throughout that seemingly endless span of time I tried to stay connected to them both, including during my breakdown where I simply started crying from anxiety and stress, and they weren't available at all (both were off work today and at home). I very badly needed reassurance after I got off work that my insecurities and the fears holding me back were going to fade, but instead both were absent emotionally and so I was left without anyone to talk to. Hence why I'm reaching out here. My friends are all in bed and I just need a human connection right now because I've never felt more alone in my life.

There are other issues I'm not fully disclosing here as they're way too personal, but what I'm boiling down to is I fell for them because they were my emotional supports for months when my marriage was collapsing and now there's this disconnect that hurts immensely. It's gotten so bad that I've told them when I move out there I wish to keep our relationship open as I no longer experience that same rush of hope when talking to them, only a drain on my severely limited optimism. I know that hurt their feelings, but I have been let down over and over and I am beginning to learn better than to depend on them. While I understand it's nobody's role in life to make other people feel better, I also can't be in an exclusive relationship where I'm constantly hurting, giving all of myself only to get back the bare minimum in turn.

When I love, I do so with my entire heart.

Tldr; in a poly relationship, wondering why I can't get emotional support from either partner as I spend endless days working to save up money to be near them and now I'm feeling alone.

Gravija 5 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Make sure that the move is what you want... not theirs.. if the relationships fall apart will you regret the move.. time.. money spend. Security...you are the one that is doing all the work.. remember that.., think about it and weigh the benefits and the cons...

Wow that sounds like a lot to handle on your own, there are so many emotions. You should be more than enough to be completely exclusive.

From my own experience... When in doubt, go with your gut feeling. There's a reason that trigger/response is there. It's tough to not let emotions over-ride rational thinking. You gotta be true to yourself.

And... being someone who grew up in Portland and has been away for nine plus years now (albeit, only two hours away), that town isn't all it's crackedup to be. It's constantly changing - and not always for the better. Just my opinion.

Hope you can find the right/positive path that is best for you!

Oh, my.

Just play it by ear. it sounds to me like niether are THE one really. when you move closer it will be eaier to sort the wheat from the chaff and remember, stressing only hurts you and these to people have lives to live too.

Take the money you've saved and move to Portugal..to a town by the Ocean..live there for a year or so and enjoy Your life..fick them if their draining you emotionally..they sound like vampires.

I don't know anyone in Portugal! At least in Portland I have other friends and my brother lives there, so I won't be entirely alone when/if things end with my partners. That sounds beautiful though, just moving to the oceanside in another country and truly enjoying my life for once.

@Gravija it's a good thing if you know no one..new beginnings are the best...

hmmmm, without much to go on, gut suggests you may be 3td wheel, your commitment to them is stronget than theirs to you. You are not getting the support that you need, so will it work for you? I always see the down side to everything, sorry.

I have told them, bluntly, that I do feel like a third wheel. Their responses were quick to assure me otherwise, and yet I am continually let down when I need them. It may work, it may not, but last night was so hard on me and I let myself be vulnerable enough to reach out to them, only to get shut out.

I do too. I'm constantly waiting for the fall out of every good thing. Eternally a pessimist who lacks the common sense to follow my gut over my heart.

@Gravija "continually let down when I need them".
You're in Texas. I'm a Tx expat. I found Tx very hard to abide and moving was the best thing for my social life. Maybe these aren't really your people. Portland is supposed to be very nice. You could find yourself in the midst of others completely over and above what you're dealing with now. My girl had a very long LD relationship. Granted it was stressed by family illnesses but the kid's timing was always bad when he wanted to come meet her, by the time she was free to do that he flaked. Then 6 months later he "boomeranged" back to her after months of silence, hadn't worked on his own issues but started going on about hers as if they'd never stopped talking. Just no.

Granted I'm not too savvy on LD relationships but to me getting "wiggly" at critical times, there isn't much room for error with this. If someone is important to another time is carved out no matter how convenient it is, barring some real thing like what we had, people terminally ill and in the throes of dying.

Dump both for not being there for you & stop seeking men who won't. Stop loving with your entire heart. That is immature & reckless. You need counceling & bag any long distant relationships. Get a back bone so you stop being so needy.

That's pretty harsh advice, but you may be right. >.> That said, I don't date cis men. One of my partners is transmasc and the other is nonbinary, so realistically I should stop seeking out people in general who won't be there for me. Which is easier said than done, honestly, because at first they were great and now things are changing course.

@Gravija Sorry. I am a harsh person. Life is harsh. Reality is harsh. I was raised to endure the harsh world we live in. I was not protected from it. It always seems to begin in a most optimistic manner & then descends into pain. The Buddists say that life is suffering. I do not mean to add to yours. Please work on toughening your skin so that harsh people like me do not add to it. I wish you every success in this endeavor. Good luck.

Not familiar with anyone in a poly relationship. You obviously know both of them personally and sexually. How do you keep a poly relationship open? Too many details not disclosed-sorry I'm not much help.

A poly relationship is open if one or more of the people involved want to continue seeing partners outside the primary relationship. It's closed in the same way any other arrangement would be - if all parties only want to be with each other and don't wish to have a physical or emotional connection made elsewhere.

It's okay, thank you for responding anyway.

Maybe you feel your making such a large commitment to them financially and physically that you expect a certain amount of emotional commitment in return.

I do and maybe that's unfair for them. At the same time, I've held their hands through some truly awful moments, times when they were hurting and lonely and needed emotional support, so for me to need it now and not be getting it leaves me at a loss for how to proceed. I only want things to feel balanced and they don't, not remotely.

It's not unfair to expect a certain amount of emotional commitment. Physical and sexuality attraction can only carry you so far. Emotional commitment only strengthens those feelings. If they can't be there for you in your time of need your right to have your doubts.

Several good comments here already. All I will add is that it sounds like you're looking outside for something that needs to come from your inside. Yes, emotional support from the ones you love is precious and essential. Make sure you give it to yourself because sometimes, nobody is around or available.

Are you familiar with R.A.? There are Facebook groups for RA and Poly. They're very supportive.

I joined a Poly FB group a couple weeks ago and have met a few fantastic people so far. They're very supportive and sweet and are slowly becoming who I go to when I need a connection separate from my partners and friends.

Thank you for the comment!

Unfortunately my advice isn't very happy. As someone who has been on both ends of this kind of relationship, here's what I have to offer:

Unfortunately emotional dependence is draining on both parties. While you may enjoy your time together, a hesitancy to respond could mean they're just busy, but more like means they don't feel like they're in a position to be supportive.

You're a good person and I have every right to believe they are, but relationships aren't right when there's is an uneven emotional commitment. Even if love is there, it will only hurt more, for both parties. I wish it wasn't true but it is. It took me months if not longer to finally stop revolving around one still very special person. I'll always have a small place in my heart for her, but it was unhealthy for us both and something had to give.

So my advice is to distance emotionally from them. Therapy is a great option, it's emotional support without some of the complications.

Also moving or travel can be a great way to get your heart beating on its own. If you would like to live there is say move. Or If you like your home, go on a vacation with the money. A little self care and distraction will help things better. I just advise against getting further into a relationship like this. Your head is cautioning you for a reason.

I wish I had something more optimistic to say. We all deserve love, but sometimes it's not right.

Thank you for the kind words. I wonder if maybe their inexperience in being with anyone but each other is a part of why they're struggling to be there for me emotionally. I'm not the best person to be in a closed relationship with if they're expecting me to support them when they are failing me on that front repeatedly, as my marriage was ended for that reason. My ex and I never communicated through anything but physical interactions and it pushed me away because I am someone who actively craves verbal feedback, so if they continue in this vein, as badly as it hurts now, I won't be able to stay with either one.

@Gravija I think that's a very mature outlook. I think the hardest thing to do is reconciling the fact that the way they aren't isn't their fault. And they need help too.. but it can't be you that saves them. Depression can feel like drowning. But the more someone latches onto another, the faster they both fall deeper down. So keep in mind that it may not just be healthier for you, it could be for them too.

At some point, no matter how good they are, no matter how much you care and they care, you have to let them go. You're a very wise person who has spent the time both with introspection and reflection upon what hurt you, what you need to do, and what's best for you. You even said that your head is telling you no. You know what's right. It's just those damn feelings 🙂

The big one I would go with (I haven't read the other advice here yet) is to love yourself first. Give yourself a big freakin' hug. Some good news, Oregon is pretty awesome. I have tried to leave the damn place a ton of times and it always drags my lazy butt back, so you can enjoy it on your own or with other people. People are pretty chatty here...I'm like a walking leather clad wookie in boots, and I get chatted up a moderate amount of time. You won't be alone if you don't want to be, but I would suggest you enjoy yourself for a while.

Oregon is beautiful. I fell in love with the Pacific Northwest years ago and my brother moving there was what finally motivated me to work toward that goal. People in Texas can be pretty laid back, but they're largely Christian, Republican, anti-LGBT+, and racist, none of which mesh with who I am and so I am always at a loss for how to make friends near me.

If things don't work out with this poly relationship, I'll probably try being single for a while. It's something I haven't been since I was a teenager and I should maybe take a step back and figure out if I'm happier with someone or without.

Thanks for the comment! I'll give myself a hug right now.

@Gravija YIKES! You might as well have said, people around here are pretty laid back except they are flesh eating zombies...hehe...those things exist in Portland, but they are the minority. I bet you are the best company you've ever had, and you don't even know it!

I wish I had something to say that might help you, but I don't. However, I sympathise because I fell for someone who was there for me after my own marriage broke up - unfortunately, they didn't feel what I felt, and it was very painful for me.

@Silvereye's advice sounds good. You never know what may come of change, so you might as well go ahead with the move and see what happens.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Thank you. I know one of them does love me, deeply, but I am always being hurt by this disconnect and it's further complicated by their mental health issues.

If nothing else, I've got a job and a place to live out there that are separate from my life with them. I'm going to move regardless as I need a fresh start, but it helps that I won't be right next to them during this transition while I sort out my feelings and whether or not I think they're more available emotionally in person.

@Gravija It sounds to me like moving is the right choice whatever happens, then: you'll either find love or a fresh start followed by who knows what? Plus Oregon looks lovely 🙂

You're going to do what you're going to do, BUT, here's my two cents (since you asked).
I'd hold off on moving anywhere until I've had more time to examine what's actually happening.
Sounds like you might just be on the rebound from the end of your marriage, and might have entered into this poly-situation in an attempt to get some emotional support. If you need something you aren't getting, moving to be closer to these people doesn't sound like such a great idea.
Find a therapist instead. Work through whatever feelings you are having BEFORE you uproot your entire life for a relationship that already seems to have issues.
It sounds to me like you've got an awful lot going that you haven't shared here (which is fine), and you might be rushing into this move before you are really ready for it.
Get right with yourself, figure out what's motivating you. Don't move until you know what it is you really need and want, and if this poly-relationship isn't just a manifestation of needs and insecurities brought about by the collapse of your marriage.
Good luck!

Sound advice KKG. I've had several people who's judgement I generally trust suggest I too take it really slow as I continue to emerge from my own divorce after 20+ years of marriage. There is a danger of falling badly when you jump into something new and different when you're not really sure what you are and where you are in your own life.

What she said—absolutely.

That is very good advice. My marriage was seven years long and we spent the entirety of my twenties together. I don't like to think I was on the rebound as I'm the one who ended the marriage due to my sexual orientation presenting itself as something of an issue to someone who required more physical attention that I've ever been able to give, but I do think reexamining my situation with my other two partners might be wise. For all I know, they might be the exact same way in person, asking for a physical connection while pulling away from an emotional one.

I'll keep all this in mind. Thank you for responding, it's given me a bit to think about.

@Gravija We are all works in progress. I wish you well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.