Agnostic.com

23 5

Can you make yourself not ticklish?

"I'm not ticklish," I told my daughter, forcing myself to look bored. "Go tickle your daddy." To my delight, it worked.

Actually, I'm very ticklish. I trained my mind to block it out.

As a child, I learned to will insensitivity when my big sister and brother were tormenting me. This stymied them.

A little shit (as my mother called me), I refused to give them the satisfaction.

The ability to stay calm is useful in emergencies and accidents.

LiterateHiker 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am very ticklish, but I can also control it...as long as I don't start laughing for a few seconds...once I start laughing, it is over...

My siblings were big ticklers so we would get into tickle fights. My brother was a beast because he would take a small footstool we had, lay it on me and then sit on it and reach down to tickle me until I promised to do one of his chores.

Using Vulcan mind control techniques, I was able to overcome my ticklishness, slow my cadio/pulmonary rate to near zero and fully retract my testicles.

I'm the same. It's kinda automatic now, to the extent that I have to consciously switch on my tickleability when playing with my girls. There's no fun for them in trying to trickle an unresponsive lump.

It depends on the circumstances, I guess. With my current lady love, though, why would I want to? 😉

I can turn it off.

Mostly yes. Except for my belly area below the belly button. This is why I haven't gotten a tattoo there yet. I'm afraid I would be too ticklish there and would wriggle through the whole process.

I’m so ticklish ..I don’t even talk about it 🙂

Varn Level 8 July 26, 2019

Someone would have to catch me completely off guard to tickle me. If I know it's coming, I'm not ticklish at all. Been that way for as long as I can remember. And I can usually control it and turn it off if someone actually did manage to tickle me.

I learned to control it as an adult. The hack that works for me is to watch while the person tickles. For some reason, watching makes it easier to control. Overall, I am much less ticklish than as a child. And yes, the ability to stay calm is stressful situations is useful, and important.

I trained myself to not be ticklish. I had to. As a young man I had an uncle who would actually tickle you to death. He loved the reaction from you. The only thing that stopped him was me not being ticklish any longer.

Yup no problem

bobwjr Level 10 July 26, 2019

Oh gosh no. I start to giggle if anyone just reaches out to tickle me, even if they don't touch me.

I'm ticklish all over. Sometimes I can control it.

I'd hate to not be ticklish. It's better than neuropathy.

Now i wish i had that ability,,got tickled a lot when i was a kid,,some in fun and other times just to get me

I am in certain parts of my body but never tried to will them aeay.

Ticklishness as a concept has always puzzled me, I have never been ticklish, a have one area at the point be tween hip and thigh that if touched gives me an unpleasant electric shock like sensation down said thigh, and the upper cups of my ears are easily irritated, but the whole bursting in to fits of uncontrollable laughter when touched thing, is something I have never experienced nor understand.
My wife has a number of medical conditions and needs ointments applied to skin conditions, when I help her do this, especially around the calf and feet, she will scream and worse kick claiming that it tickles, it has taken me a long time to accept she cannot help this, as to me it just seems stupid and unnecessarily violent.

To me, the act of being tickled is a violent , abusive act. People think it's funny to tickle someone who says they are ticklish, but it is horrible. Yes, I will kick and scream. I can't help it. I am so sensitive to tickles in certain parts of my body. My feet are the worst . My old fiance liked to paint my toenails and try to give me foot rubs, and I would not be able to tolerate him touching my feet, unless it was a firm grasp....no light touching. I seriously couldn't breathe. I had to fight back. It's a real thing.

There has to be a psychological component inasmuch as when you intentionally try to tickle one's self, it does not work.

My first wife claimed to be able to tickle herself, but then she was an insane arsehole.

I am ticklish only if I allow it.

My wife can do that. Me, not so much.

I think I'm in the 'trained myself not to be ticklish' camp... Either that or my nervous system has just got sluggish with age, but I'm just not at all ticklish these days. "No sense, no feeling" as my Mum used to say.

I've heard trepanation can make you less ticklish... Or maybe it was defenestration.

I don't know about making myself less ticklish, but I do know that after being tickled for an extended period of time, I stop feeling that 'tickle' feeling and it starts becoming annoying, almost painful for me, or sometimes my body just becomes numb. I don't mind being tickled for a short period of time - very short, if I'm honest. Once I tell the tickler I'm done, no more tickles, they need to stop and not keep going or I might get physical with them, and not in a good way. I try to give them fair warning verbally a few times before I push or punch them, but if they don't take my cue and stop, they're in for a rude awakening.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:379324
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.