Agnostic.com

15 21

Beautiful hike today to Lanham Lake, WA. A vicious dog was worrisome.

Today Karen and I hiked to Lanham Lake, gaining 1,140' in elevation over four miles. Originally a fisherman's trail, the steep trail goes straight up a ridge with only one switchback.

"A switchback!" I said, delighted. Then straight up again.

The only other people on the trail were a couple with two leashed dogs. One was a new, barking rescue dog. It tried to attack Bonnie, Karen's dog, as we let them pass.

At the lake, Karen and I ate lunch sitting on floating logs- an unsteady logjam- to avoid the attacking dog. The couple threw sticks in the lake. Karen and I watched the dogs swimming.

"I hope those dogs don't come over here," Karen worried.

The couple with the scary dog was behind us on the descent. Each time I heard a crackle in the woods behind me, I sped up, even though it was probably on a leash.

It's sad how niggling worry can color your experience.

Driving home from Stevens Pass took twice as long as usual. On Friday afternoon, people from Seattle were heading east for blue skies, sunshine, Lake Chelan, Lake Wenatchee, the Columbia River, etc. Huge traffic jam. Cars and trucks pulling boats and trailers.

I just wanted to get home. Made it. Yay!

Photos:

1. Lanham Lake

2. Wild Columbine

3. Tall Mountain Bluebells

4. Delicate white fairy flowers (as I call them) in the woods.

5. We never saw Indian Paintbrush this color before!

LiterateHiker 9 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

hi like the pictures--whats the weather like in the winter where you are at?

@scout123456

It's snowy in the winter. Lanham Lake is higher than Stevens Pass, WA (4,061' elevation.)

Here a photo I took on January 29, 2019 at Lanham Lake. At 11 a.m. the rising sun was peeking over the ridge. Because Washington State is north, daylight hours are short during winter.

Due to freezing rain, Karen and I used micro-spikes that day. This gave us excellent traction on the steep trail.

Karen suggested going up to an alpine meadow that is usually unsafe due to avalanches. With less snow than usual, I agreed. But off-trail, we sank up to our knees in deep snow.

A tall man with large feet on snowshoes broke trail before us to the meadow. Stepping into his firm snowshoe tracks was a big stretch for me because they were so far apart. (Tall man)

"This man is a great outdoorsman!" Karen said. His tracks led us safely on snow-bridges over the winding creek and up to the meadow. It felt like I was stepping into my Daddy's footsteps.

@LiterateHiker Wow that looks really cold! thanks

A beautiful place you live, and you take good pictures! I, too, encounter charging dogs off the leash coming toward me on my hikes in a State Park. Being attacked by a dog in my childhood, I relieve that fearful incident every time I see a lone dog running toward me. When owner's finally do show up they assure me their dog is friendly. Such unconsiderate dog owners. By the way, there's a sign about dogs being kept under control at all times.

@NatureGal

I have been attacked by eight unleashed dogs while hiking and snowshoeing. None of the dog owners apologized. It took six weeks for my injured knee to heal after one attack.

Each time I yelled: "Control your dog! Grab his collar! Dogs are required to be on a leash!"

"He's friendly," they all called lamely, without moving to grab their dog. Bullshit. He's friendly to the person who feeds him. "He never did that before," one dog owner said as an excuse.

In Michigan, I grew up with two. well-behaved Labrador Retrievers. Lady won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice.

Sadly, now I feel terrified of strange, unleashed dogs. Karen taught me to swing my hiking poles vigorously back-and-forth with the points crossing at my feet. Dogs back off. Perfect.

"Stop waving your poles!" a stupid dog owner called. "You'll hurt him!"

"That the point," I replied. "I want to stop your dog from hurting me. Call your dog!"

I still recommend carrying pepper spray - it works very well on dogs too... [amazon.com]

@FrostyJim

I tried pepper spray on a wristband. The wristband made my wrist sweaty and itchy.

Karen taught me to vigorously swing my poles back-and-forth with the points at my feet. Dogs back off. Perfect.

Karen carries a giant can of cougar spray. She has never used it.

@LiterateHiker - this is bear mace concentrated capsicum - I don't think I would spray it on my wrist - it could burn like hell. If you ever chopped jalapenos and then rubbed your eye! - It is not a repellent - it is for defense when attacked. It is non lethal but will cause temporary blindness and choking when sprayed in the face. Probably the same as cougar spray?

@FrostyJim

Mace is illegal in Washington State.

Karen's cougar spray is a huge dose of pepper spray. She carries it in her pack.

@LiterateHiker - I like the belt holster when hiking. Bear spray is in a large canister and can spray 20 ft.

@LiterateHiker - Bear Spray Holster - I would never carry it in my pack?

@FrostyJim

That big canister looks uncomfortable, digging into your side. It would never work with a pack hipbelt.

Swinging my poles fast, crossing them at my feet makes dogs back off.

Perfect.

@LiterateHiker - Mine has a large Velcro loop you can easily attach it to a backpack hip belt or a chest strap or shoulder strap - there are many ways to carry it - if you need it for safety - you can make it work? I carried a 12 gauge pump shotgun when in heavy bear country along with a 60 lb portage pack and I made it work... it's all about be prepared whan you least expect it.

@FrostyJim

In 45 years of hiking an average of 200 miles/year, I have only seen one small bear and two cougar. At age 22 in the Olympic Mountains.

The Pacific rattlesnake is non-aggressive. (Don't step on it.) Have never seen a wolf or coyote. Coyotes eat mice. Thank you.

Know what I'm paranoid about? Ticks. Lyme disease.

So, I spray my hat, pack, socks, gaiters, and hiking clothes with permethrin spray. It kills and repels ticks, mosquitoes and 39 other biting insects. Lasts 42 days or through six washes.

This turns me into a Walking Mosquito/Tick Hate Zone.

Also, I wear long pants and long sleeves when hiking.

@LiterateHiker - Bears are common in Alaska - even in downtown Anchorage on the hiking/ski trails - both Black and Grizzly - and aggressive moose too. You can encounter bears wherever there is bear food - garbage, bird seed, pet food, berries, or fish and they are pretty silent until you stumble on one... they will chase and outrun you if you run - and people that hike with off leash dogs will attract bears when the dog returns with tail between it's legs followed by a mad bear... it is just a fact of off road travel up here and bear attacks happen all the time.

Great pictures! As you normally get. Angry dogs can always be a pain 😡.

Nice day, beautiful places!

Wow! Amazing journey, I was recently at the Gorge amplitheater near Seattle, we hiked the whole region and camped for 3 days, was an amazing expierence, such an incredible area, makes our Rio Grande gorge look like a tiny crack,lol.

@Moondrop

I have seen many concerts at The Gorge Amphitheater, George, WA.

Where did you hike in Washington?

1. Olympic National Park
  2. Cascade Mountains - east or west?
  3. North Cascades National Park
  4. Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area
  5. Mt. Rainier National Park
  6. Mt. Baker, etc.

Loved your story ,sorry about the dogs ,part of the perils of hiking at times that you can not control <beautiful serene pictures kathleen,,Loved them,,That was quite the hike,,enjoy your weekend

What a beautiful place to enjoy the day.
I don't like dog owners who don't make their dog mind.

Perfectly beautiful photos, thank you! Glad there was no harmful interaction, but I'm always saddened that irresponsible dog owners create anxious and hostile attitudes that impact an otherwise lovely experience.

Nice photos!

If am being followed by anyone with a dog or being otherwise obnoxious, I would have stopped and allowed them to get as far from me as possible then continued on.

@jlynn37

I thought of that. Karen was in a hurry because she was driving to Seattle after our hike.

You're right. It would have been easier if they were in front of us.

I do that too. I run into the woods, until the owners show up. Then they laugh at me for being scared of their 'cute', harmless dog.

Thank you for sharing the beauty! I am sorry about the dog though.

Beautiful pictures as usual Kathleen,...sorry the dogs took the edge of your enjoyment. People who have dogs like them don’t seem to realise that others can feel anxious around them. The traffic jams are sadly an inevitability when everyone wants to go and enjoy themselves at the same time.

Sorry about dogs at least no violence beautiful pictures

bobwjr Level 10 July 27, 2019

I was walking on a local footpath in the forest here and I met a woman with two dogs both unleashed. One of them ran behind me and nipped me on the leg. Just a little nip, didn't break the skin.
I told her what he happened and her reply was " They are Romanian rescue dogs"., Bloody Europeans coming over here and biting the locals. Brexit will put a stop to that 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:379671
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.