Agnostic.com

19 3

How do you pronounce ASAP?

Just a random question. How do you pronounce ASAP? I say A-S-A-P, but have heard A-SAP before.. and I find it mildly bothersome for some unknown reason.

Edited in a 3rd choice, cause looking back, I don't really say either. I'll say something like "right away".

• 9 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 3 votes
FatherOfNyx 7 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are lucky to find it only mildly! For me it grates like fingernails on a blackboard.

There is no "Correctr" way of saying it. Both are clearly understood.

Mind that English is my second language.

Asshole! Shithead! Act promptly

(That's usually directed at me.)

I seldom pronounce acromymns as if they were words, but woudl actually say the words "As soon as possible" .

I dont, I say as soon as possible.

1of5 Level 8 July 28, 2019

I don't use it often. I mostly say A-SAP, but sometimes I do A-S-A-P. But pronouncing it as a kind of word (instead of the string of letters) isn't any weirder than saying "scuba" instead of S-C-U-B-A.

A-SAP... much shorter, and brevity is the whole point of these things, right?

AY - Ess - Ay - Pee

I believe the origin of this acronym is from the military, and we all know how much they love to create acronyms which form their own words. Accronyms like BUDS for the Navy Seals. So I’m presuming the correct pronunciation is A-SAP. That’s the one I use anyway.

I do not like accronyms. There is a perfectly good language there with lots of amazing words. What is wrong with the word, 'immediately'?

Amisja Level 8 July 28, 2019

I have heard that the English language is the most expressive there is. Why in BOB's name would anyone want to chop it up?

A-sap

bobwjr Level 10 July 28, 2019

A Sap is a fool or a pretty gullible person to my way of thinking....so it has to be A-S-A-P.

That may be the reason for my using both 😉

Depends on the conversation I use both, kind of like asaps fables.

a-sap

A-S-A-P...

I opt to say hurry up and in extreme rush I say get your ass moving.

azzow2 Level 9 July 28, 2019

Just like it sounds

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:380195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.