Agnostic.com

34 23

Dogs should be banned from stores except for certified, seeing-eye dogs.

I am so tired of insensitive, selfish dog owners. People are not training their dogs to behave.

On Thursday, a woman brought a small dog into Macy's while I was returning a shirt. I was behind her in line. She let her dog poop in front of the main check stand where customers stand! Disgusting. Asking for a paper towel, she picked up the main wet turds, smearing the rest into the carpet.

Appalled, I told the clerk what happened. "I'm going to call the manager," she said.

"I haven't had him trained as a support dog yet," I overheard the woman say in the shoe area. Her dog lunged at me as I walked by.

Except for certified seeing-eye dogs for the blind, I believe all dogs should be banned from stores and grocery stores. Dogs should be left at home, not in public places where they could bother people and do harm.

This whole "emotional support dog” nonsense is just another example how weak they have become. They can’t leave the house without their “support animal.”

LiterateHiker 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Leaving Walmart last week, one of the clerks was calling for help to clean up a pile of dog turds.
You're right -- it's gone way too far.

Any dog's behavior depends on how well trained its owner is. Most people get a dog an then just wing it from there. I spent a month learning how to properly raise and train a dog when I got my Lily. As a result, she's even tempered,well behaved and non aggressive. I wouldn't have known how to accomplish that if I hadn't taken the responsibility to train myself for it.

It wasn't the dog's fault, it was the woman's fault.

I am right there with you. I have 3 dogs, but they don’t go to any store except the pet store. I would never subject others to their shenanigans. (2 of them are pups and very playful and jumpy).

My neighbor has a “support dog”, completely untrained, and he is a menace. He has bit my daughter on the leg and lowers himself threateningly as if to pounce as I come out my front door. She lets him out of her apartment without a leash and I have to yell for her to bring him in before we can feel safe walking out to our car. My daughter is terrified of him.

She takes him with her in her car quite a bit, so I assume she is taking him to stores with her. She won’t pay to get him properly trained. Just says he’s friendly and we’re overreacting. I want to slap her. Ugh!

@Tinocca

That's a horrifying, dangerous situation. Call the police.

In Washington State, police intervene and have the Humane Society put it down if a dog bites someone.

Police shoot the dog on the spot when it tries to attack them.

I have a scar the size of of a silver dollar where a dog took a chunk out of me. Stitches, infection, 4 hospital visits including IV antibiotics.

Call the authorities. Don't delay.

@LiterateHiker the bite was a year ago. Animal control was notified. They had me file a complaint. But they won't take the animal away. They said they would fine the owner if it happened again and require insurance. It becomes too expensive and the owners often voluntarily surrender the dog.

agree unless a support dog is certified wearing his jacket to show that it has been properly trained as well as the owner alos ,a lot of pdsd use support dogs A lot of so called support or emotional dogs do not need to be in the store,,if you can not leave your dog for a few minutes and do your shopping,then they are the ones that need help,,allsupport animal owners should be required to take a course along with the dog,,actually the course is more for the human to be trained lol

@RoyMillar

Over the internet, you can buy "Support Animal" signs to put on a dog without any certification or training.

Support animal and Trained Support animal are two different worlds,,only trained allowed,,untrained easily spootted and out the door they go with the owner

yeah ... they're doing something I don't understand so let's sh!t on it!!!

Have taken dog I used to own to pet store they crapped on floors they were ready with clean up people most stores can't do thst

bobwjr Level 10 July 28, 2019

That's too much! ...

The problem is that the distinction between a "service animal," who is trained to do a necessary job or task and an "emotional support animal," who provides a supportive social presence, is largely unknown.

My biggest grief with that whole issue is the number of people with social disorders or needs who cannot afford a properly trained service animal. They can be extremely expensive, and if you are unable to exist in public alone, then you are trapped in your home unable to participate in society.

There is, of course, a portion of the population intent on abusing any accommadation

Home Depot and Lowe’s allow dogs. I took mine in once and it made things trickier as I controlled him and tried to shop at the same time. Still, it occurs to me it’s way better than leaving them in a hot car in the parking lot.

@JerryPetersen

Then leave your at dog home when you go shopping.

Which I generally do. But if I’m on my way home from taking him to the dog park and need to stop in for something I’m not going to let absolutists stop me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:380554
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.