Agnostic.com

20 2

Dating parameters

So I've been single a while and in a ltr for years before that and I've realized I don't know the rules. At what point do you all think you're in a "relationship" with someone? If you're chatting and flirting with someone online or IRL do you have some obligation to tell other people you're"involved" with someone? Personally I think it's non-dislosure up until there's sex or its been mutually agreed that there's a "relationship". It's come to my attention that others think differently so I want to know, what are your rules?

OpposingOpposum 9 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm seeing someone but I still don't know if it's a relationship or not. Lots of mixed signals.

Personally I have no firm rules. It can vary wildly depending on the individuals involved as long as you are honest with each other on where you are at with each other. That is what counts to avoid anything uncomfortable.

Good communication skills make for successful relationship. Don't assume. Ask and Tell.

This reminds me of the time I asked a fren whats the difference between her relationship with her bf and the relationship with her bff. She answered it was pretty much the same. Then she got really silent.

It's an agreement, right? And I am pretty sure the person who creates the rules is imaginary...hehe...see what I did there...snicker...

I think both people should be in acknowledgement if what that means

I wouldn't assume. Even sex isn't an automatic indication for many people. A lot of people just consider it a hookup and don't think it's necessarily the start to something committed or exclusive.

But I think once you get married to someone, that might be a good time to discuss the nature of your relationship and where it's headed. 😛

I think all that should be discussed before marriage is considered.

@dc65 Yep, I was just making a joke.

Hahaha!

hahaha last I looked, shotgun weddings make up 60%, resserts. you meant it as a joke but there's truth to it...the best kind of joke, with bite 🙂

I look at everything as a relationship. I have brief ones with the check-out people at the store and longer ones with my friends. I have intense relationships with several friends where we talk for hours over a bottle of wine or beer or a little smoke. Sometimes those go into the physical. What I'm saying is I'm "involved" with everyone I interact with. I don't do monogamy.

That's the thing about "rules". Unless everyone involved agrees to conduct themselves accordingly. one person having rules of conduct doesn't really matter to anyone but them.
Another reason communication is important, and clearly laying out one's expectations.
No one can (or choose not to) live up to anyone else's expectations if they don't know what they are.

I think the mutually agreed staement holds true.

I have done some studying on relationship Dynamics, 5 love languages, relationship phases etc. It is a process to get to a long lasting mutually rewarding, close and respectful relationship. I'm single so haven't actually made it that far.

I think that depends on who you are dating. Ask them if your relationship is exclusive once you feel strong enough to do so.

I think that once I have any kind of feelings for someone, whether or not I have even ever talked to them, they should not show interest in anyone else.

Lol! I think there are quite a few people who agree with you. (Also yikes!)

😛

All relationships start with a first date. Keep it light until you are sure a 2nd date is what you want, steer the conversation toward their previous life, ask what they expect in a relationship and what they don't want. Then steer it toward the future, what do They want in life? Do they have a plan? Would they be willing to move from the area? Do their plans jibe with yours? This is an honest process. Together you can decide.

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I think it is like "Fight Club". The first rule of dating is that there are no rules.

Isn't that like, the third rule? 🙂

That's what I was going to say!

@batscradle oh. Guess I scewed that up

I beg to differ. No rules!?! This leaves anarchy & social mayhem especially when those who can not pick up the subtle queues of social interaction in a particular culture. Perception misinterpreted can lead to assault. First date passion can result in many unwanted results. I have very high hurdles for the first date. Thusly I do not date any more & have never gone on an online date. Poor me. ( NOT!)

@Countrywoman you are correct. Sometimes people can't pick up subtle queues, like sarcasm

@Rudy1962 hahaha

@Rudy1962 bahahahahhaha

Commitment has to be a verbal agreement. Sex is not an agreement. Chatting & flirting is not a relationship. Chatting & flirting are methods of interviewing a person of interest. A relationship is a commitment of interest with the boundaries in negotiation. Until a verbal contract is agreed upon there is no relationship other than what is currently occurring. So tread carefully lest you believe something when it is really nothing.

Sounds mature, honest, respectful, and rational.

Not words that readily come to mind re: most of my relationships 😉

@batscradle Thank you for what I consider accolades. As I have matured the nonsense of our romantic culture has fallen away with experience. I was raised with no direction on one end & a failed attempt to control everything on the other end. Both were catastrophic & I give thanks that I have survived long enough to correct the damage tho I do not seek connection anymore on any direct level. Woe to me as I have arrived at sanity but no longer have the inclination nor energy to pursue a "relationship".

@Countrywoman accolades intended, along with a little self-deprecating humor. Better late than never re: sanity. Energy is overrated. Relationships are subjective. Also, overrated.

I have identified a simple truth about myself. I am absolute shite at spotting who fancies me, who's flirting or who's just being nice. So unless the other person can help by making it very very obvious, I'm pretty much scuppered 🙂

Same here

And me.

add me in

You must learn the signals. Does she flip her hair or touch it when speaking with you? Does she look back at you when you walk away? Does she retain eye contact longer than normal. Does she smile & giggle? Just being nice does not include these signals.

Communicating should be straight. Rules I don’t know bout cause they make things complicated.

If you move in together then you are in a committed relationship

I threw the rules out awhile go..so..yeah..no rules are the best rules..for me..

See I like your answer but men seem to get butthurt.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.