Agnostic.com

6 19

Today's hike: You can find beauty if you look.

Shady Squilchuck State Park has marvelous bicycle trails: a go-to hike for Karen and me when it's hot. It's wonderful to walk in the woods year round.

High ridges with bicycle trails wrap around the parking lot on three sides. At 9 a.m. it was 80 degrees in Wenatchee (and increasing) and 70 degrees in the park at 4,000' elevation. Up we went with Hannelore, 78. We hiked three miles with 300 feet of elevation gain.

Growing up in Germany, Hannelore's family scavenged for edible mushrooms, plants and herbs in the woods to keep from starving during World War II. She has an encyclopedic knowledge of wild mushrooms and medicinal plants.

In the hot, dry days of August, the woods looked dusty and tired. The other women blew past flowers. You can find beauty if you look.

1. Oregon Grape

2. White lace flowers

3. Lovely dried flowers

4. Asters

5. Pine Drop flower-pods are drying.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In North Carolina, we call the white flowers in picture number 2 “Queen Anne’s lace”, I believe.

Queen Anne’s lace is similar but has one big bunch. It curls up when old and makes a cup. For that reason it’s sometimes called birds nest.

@JacobMeyers ok. My mistake.

@BudFrank

In Michigan, there's a beautiful, white flower called Queen Anne's Lace. That's not it.

Karen has a great memory for wildflower names. But she hiked ahead while I stopped to take pictures. I don't know the names of this white, lacey wildflower or the beige flowers on the bush.

Because Karen almost never checks her email, I cannot send her wildflower photos to identify.

Thanks for the beautiful pics of the flowers and your lovely commentary on your hike,,like we were there.

We have a great one here where I live in Florida called the Pinellas Trail. It stretches from Tarpon Springs,all the way to St Pete. It's about 38.2 mi (61.5 km) long.
It weaves about covering through some great nature, and through some sections along the Gulf shore.
No motorized vehicles are allowed on it. but it's open for runners, walkers bicycles, etc.
For some it is easier, and sometimes quicker to travel than sidewalks or streets since there is no cross traffic. And the scenery is just wonderful.

I'll have to take some pictures next time I'm out and about.

I agree. If you want to find beauty, just look around! (Some people can just look in a mirror. I can't. LOL)

@BestWithoutGods

The two women blew past the flowers.

@LiterateHiker I'm glad you didn't. Thanks for the photos. Very nice.

Of course you can look in the mirror, you just not happy with what you see, but I don't know why. I think you look nice.

@Jolanta Very sweet of you to say that. But you look many times better than I do. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods Thank you for those kind words.

I used to hike in the Pisgah Forrest around Brevard, NC loved to hike.

BillF Level 7 Aug 2, 2019

Used to love hiking in the PNW, Spokane was close to so many great mountain excursions. My ex is from Camas so a lot of Oregon trails too,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:382842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.