Agnostic.com

18 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some of them slept with my ex. Naw... Couldn't resist the joke though. Tough these days getting it. Maybe I will sleep with a Neanderthal.

This also reminds me of an ethnic group in America that often gets mentioned but is usually overlooked: the Melungeons, whose ancestry seems an incredible mix of groups. For some reason, they were often identified as "Portugese," possibly a self-identification so as not to be listed as "Negroes" at the time. I gather their genome hasn't be fully examined, but I'll bet it contains more of what us human than the rest of us have.

Fascinating article, although I've known about the Denisovans sometime back. OUr ancestry is become so clear that only an idiot could hold onto the idea of "white supremacy," and especially not after the discovery that ancient Britons had dark skin and blue eyes. I'm almost willing to bet that whiteness is actually a trait inherited from the more "primitive" Neanderthals and possibly the Denisovans. Reminds me an Arthur C. Clarke short story where extraterrestrials apear, anounce they had planted us on Earth, but also that they had discovered a terrible scourge affecting mankind. "If anyone of you sill have black skin we can save you all," the aliens announce. While meant to be satirical, it's now rather prescient.

Early humans would have slept with a snake if somebody would hold its head up. Things are pretty much like that even today.

Humans are horny. In other breaking news, water is wet.

Seriously, though, humans seem to enjoy having a variety of sexual partners, and not everyone is discriminating enough to care about consent. I wonder how many of these genetic contributions were due to rape sometimes. Different human groups, different languages, decreased ability to consent or protest.

Of course, some were probably loving relationships too, but I suspect that monogamy was rare before the agriculture and settled living, and even then, wealthy men usually had multiple wives.

Love the topic. I've been doing a lot of reading on it too.

From my Nat Geo genetic test.

Ricki Gervais has an interesting take on the sexual proclivities of men

Hahaha! That's hilarious!

I find this research to be absolutely fascinating. I believe the differences that gave us the edge over both denisovan and neandertal (the ability to articulate) also led to our hyperjump in mental evolution and an encephalization rate of over 7.5%. Being able to relate our knowledge and carry it forward to later generations made us into modern human beings. It allowed us to change from hunter-gatherers to farmers, settle into societies, and adjust to our enviorment instead of moving with the seasons.

Humans,by nature, are not monogamous creatures.

Do you think that applies more to men than to women?

I am 1.5% Neanderthal and 2.8% Denisovan.

You don't look Denisovan. 🙂

@Sticks48
The browridge is hidden by the goggles.

@Reignmond lol!

Any old port in the storm.

I blame alcohol.
But it is fascinating, seriously, who wouldn't want to work on this research.

<sarcasm>News flash: ancient man was as horny as we are today. What an incredible surprise. </sarcasm>

I found this article interesting. Thanks for the link.

I'm laughing and I haven't clicked the link yet.

Hussies!

I saw something on this yesterday too. Pretty interesting. We keep discovering more and more about our ancestry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.