Agnostic.com

21 5

Are you a feminist?

“fem·i·nism
?fem??niz?m
noun
the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.”

Are you a feminist? Why or why not?

Do you think feminism means anything more or less than the dictionary definition above states?
If so, please explain your answer.

AMGT 8 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

According to the definition, I’m a feminist. Frankly, just being a decent human being would require that.

Absolutely. A feminist is someone who believes that women are equal to and deserve equal treatment to men. It is baffling that anyone could be anything else.

Yes, because women are people who have been mistreated for too long and it's about time they're regarded as equals in all the contexts that matter: employability, competence in work related tasks, problem solving, and so on.

Yes, im a feminist. I have trained females to do the same jobs i was required to do for the same pay in those job descriptions. My line of worked required skill at all levels. Ive worked for females in supervisory positions at all levels. Ive worked with females in my craft and assisted them in theirs. Its a norm to work along side or for females in the oil refineries. Youve got to pass extensive tests to even get an interview where I've worked. Theres no free ride for anyone. I know nothing about white collar employees. I've turned down these positions because i didnt have the steam to keep up with all the demands of the job. I tried it and it drove me nuts. So i went back to blue collar work. I treated females with respect and i understand sexual abuse in the work place. I feel sorry for those that try to make a connection.

sounds like equity,, cool

e·gal·i·tar·i·an
i??al??ter??n
adjective

1. relating to or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
    "a fairer, more egalitarian society"

I would identify as an egalitarian, mostly because I want the same opportunities and laws to apply to everyone. Feminists often advocate for positions, and laws that overly favor woman, and in some cases seem to take positions I would consider detrimental to women. However, as defined above; yes I would be considered a feminist.

Feminism has a problem though, the quagmire the feminists firebrands have created. They remind me far to much of creationists, asserting claims they can't prove. then using distortion of statistics or cherry picking and quote mining to fit a narrative that they created . Combine that with the number of misandrists that hitched their wagons to the feminist label and produce hate fueled toxic articles under that label. It has come to the point were the label itself is becoming so toxic that you endanger your message getting lost for the label.

According to the dictionary definition above, I'm a feminist. I'm a lefty, so believing in equality comes naturally. I know that progress on women's rights has been slow. In misogynistic countries, women still have no rights at all. In the west, women are still called "bitches" and "sluts", so a lot more progress is needed.

Absolutely definitely. Whilst we in the West still have issues with employment, child care and lack of political leadership, women in Muslim countries particularly need our support to achieve even the basics.
Btw I absolutely adore men and don't even know where this new wave man hating brand of feminism comes from? I reckon it's a manifestation of Fox News' psyche myself and does not exist other than in the most limited of lesbian circles!?
The right wing don't half love publicising this massive feminist problem though., don't they? So it must be a thing!!

Are you being sarcastic or are you for reals?

I've always maintained that women are more valuable than men. So yes is the answer

I think they are equal.

I consider myself a feminist by the dictionary definition, but I still like to do the little niceties as long as I don't get a complaint.
Opening a door for her, pulling out a chair, etc. I think it's just kind and respectful.

Ill open the door for anyone and pull the chair out from under them, for a few ! the chair thing i have NEVER done !

I open doors for him and her behind me... That's just normal

Applying the above definition yes I am a feminist. I support "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." I hold this view because it is part of my broader view that everyone deserves to not be descriminated or prejudiced against based on their gender. So I'll call gender descrimination where ever I see it regardless of the gender of either the perpetrator or the victim.

I am a feminist. Many people subscribe a different meaning to this word, use it as an insult, or just plain misunderstand it. Their loss really.

I am a male and I'm a feminist. What that means to me is total, 100%, equality in every aspect of society. Abortion rights on demand; a woman's right to control her own reproductive organs with no outside coercion. This may be the most important struggle against women's oppression in this country. The christian fascists are trying to pick this apart and won't be satisfied until Roe vs Wade is overturned. I have been in hand to hand combat with these anti woman, anti abortionist low lifes when they have tried to close the clinics in the past. Theirs is not just an opinion......they are sinister thugs with a fascist agenda.......just like trump/pence. I have to say, some of the posts on this question border on outright woman hating.

Hell no.
To take up a cause solely on a gender is inherently sexist. Maybe it was needed way back when, but as it has become this pathetic, manhating, narcissists' wet dream. I find feminism needing to make up problems to validate its existence lacking.

And Harvey Weinstein? And the pussy grabber in chief??? And the lack of female politicians in the US ?? Did you know btw that Sub Saharan Africa has more female political reps than the US does today??
And btw many many countries have had female leaders by now , including many so called developing nations like India, yet you yanks are so sexist that you would rather elect a backward, barely literate dotard than a competent woman.

You were saying???

I wish there was a way to reply to replies! Anyways, all the problems you mentioned have nothing to do with feminism or anything that standardizes the notion that women are less than men. Western women are THE most protected group on earth. Yet feminism pushes this vitimhood ideology that hinders women from accomplishing whatever they wish to accomplish. If you can't see that, can't help you there.

By this definition I would qualify myself as a feminist, although I would admit that my advocacy is rather passive in nature. Unfortunately I believe the common usage of the term is more important than the dictionary definition, and various dictionaries would even present slight variations.
When engaging in conversation about topics relating to feminism you should probably identify yourself according to the biases of your audience in order to create the most fruitful dialogue. That could mean anything from "someone advocating empowerment" to "an advocate of gender neutral policy change" from one encounter to another.

If you mean having eqaul rights for men and women then yes, I support the idea that men and women should have equal rights, as well as people of all races. However some people believe that feminism is about giving women advantage over men, which gives feminism a bit of a bad rep for those who don't know the difference, so don't be afraid to correct other feminists who have the wrong idea.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 15, 2017

Feminist now has connotations of activist, militant tendencies.

What's wrong with that?

If you prefer aggression rather than reasoned debate and education you would not see anything wrong.

To a certain degree I am.

invictus0x0 posted the definition for egalitarian - relating to or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities. Which is where I find myself and I support feminism for each individuals rights but not when it is used radically. Feminism in the definition above covers the concept of equality but misses the point where females have progressed from a repressed position that has existed for too long. I think the feminist definition needs more explanation otherwise: feminism=egalitarian. It is sad, though, that the common understanding in society is that feminism favors females over males and that is tipping the scale the other way.

Yes I am. In a Christina Hoffsomers way.

Dear friend who passed away in July from Alabama.

My answer is self evident

I am a male, and not a feminist. I guess you could say I'm pro-choice. I have no problem with a woman who's got an ideology of feminism. Neither do I have an issue with a woman who chooses to be a non-feminist, whatever you may think that is. I'm pro-choice.

Natan Level 2 Nov 15, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.