Agnostic.com

8 5

What is processed food and just how bad it is for you.

At age 24, I stopped eating processed and preserved meats- bacon, hot dogs, deli meats, ham, sausage, chicken nuggets, pepperoni, etc.- when my Dad died of colon cancer at 51.

Research showed eating 50 grams of processed meat per day -one hot dog or about six pieces of bacon- raises the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. Other cancers too were associated with red and processed meats, including stomach, prostate and pancreatic. (Source: International Agency on Cancer study reported in Time Magazine, Nov. 5, 2015).

"I'm trying to eliminated highly processed foods from my diet," I told hiking partner Karen last week. "I'm tired of oatmeal. My sticking points are whole grain crackers and breakfast cereals."

"Kathleen, you eat much healthier than most people," Karen said. A vegan, Karen struggles with her weight because she eats a lot of highly processed food.

"A new study offers some proof — in this case, that heavily processed foods might cause you to gain weight. Twenty volunteers were placed on a heavily processed or a minimally processed diet for two weeks (volunteers participated in both diets in random order).

"The meals they ate were closely matched for calories, fiber, sugar, fat, carbs, and protein with the difference being the types of foods that were offered at mealtimes. A heavily processed breakfast might be a bagel and cream cheese; a less processed one might be unsweetened oatmeal, fruit, and nuts. Though the meals were matched for nutrients, participants could eat as much (or little) as they liked.

"In the end, they gained weight when eating ultra-processed foods and they lost it when eating less processed foods. And remember, these were the same people! They tended to eat faster when consuming more processed meals and ultimately ate an average of 500 calories more per day eating those foods, gaining an average of two pounds during the short study period."

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We all die sooner or later .. most prefer later - but eating well certainly means you enjoy the years a little more ... all depends on whether you enjoy beer, burger and fries more than hiking or sports (taking part, not watching while doing beer burger and fries)

i'm not concerned with my diet ( as i sit here with a rye & water & a beer in front of me). i'm having a hot dog & fries for dinner this eve. we do have salads & vegs each day in the eve.
i have a small appetite & never eat much of anything. never have a weight problem--150 lbs.
although, i eat what i enjoy--good pizzas, excellent dinosaur bones (beef ribs) burger or small steak with fries, beef & kidney meat pies, spaghetti with meat balls, chinese, thai, mex, etc..

au natural foods or slighly cooked nothing gets better for you choose locallt grown if possible

Um, thats nice.

Easy rule - the more ingredients listed on a package/container/box/can etc, the less good it is for you. The ideal is to stick to items that are as unchanged as possible from their original state - like an apple, for instance.

I enjoy a plant based diet. Best ever !

(love animals too much to eat them)

I am trying to follow a whole foods plant based diet. About 90/10. There is a lot of vegan junk food out there so vegans are not necessarily healthier.

So true. And I think 'convenience' food like the meals we find in the frozen food section also fit into this category...even the vegan ones. They should not be part of a person's daily diet.....only an occasional meal.

@mojo5501 high in sodium and preservatives.

Switched to keto over a year ago and one thing that helped as much as any other, I'm fairly sure of, was that I quit eating much processed stuff and started making just about everything from scratch - seriously simplified my diet. Except bacon. Never used to eat it, but now I have it 3 to 4 times a week. I'm 90 lbs lighter and my bloodwork is perfect, so thats one I'm not giving up. 🙂

1of5 Level 8 Aug 5, 2019

Hamburgers, long-life bread, frankfurters, chips, "value" sausages, etc. are a "no no" to me. I eat grilled steak (well done), boiled or sautéed vegetables, and "basic" breakfast cereals such as porridge or puffed wheat, with no additives. I sprinkle them lightly with brown cane sugar and add full cream milk. I eat according to my appetite, and refuse the huge servings that we receive in restaurants. I have even been known to send them back and demand that I get the small serving I requested.
Result? I have low cholesterol and weigh 145 lbs. (My height is 5ft 8 inches,)

@Petter I don't eat any bread, chips, or cereals. Have never liked the actual taste of hamburger meat so never eat it as a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice. Do all my meat as rare as possible (overcooking is also bad) either on a grill or flat iron seared and finished in the oven , eat the hell out of seafood, have a salad 6 out of 7 days a week, typically oven bake veggies (only those grown above ground), never add sugar to anything, and only eat when hungry till I'm full (I also eat very slowly for some reason, always have). Typically i only eat 2 meals a day.

I'm 5'11" and come in at 175, and feel better than I have in 20 years.

At a restaurant I can typically only eat 2 or 3 items (I'm nightshade intolerant on top of keto) on the menu and always, always, always have to special order. It can be a real pain in the ass. When I was in Albuquerque I found as place that had a salad I didn't have to modify at all. Went there once a week just to enjoy ordering something without changing a thing - I felt like a god. 🙂

Sounds like you found a way of eating that matches what your body wants/needs. Glad its working for you

@1of5 Equally, so have you. The criterion is "learn to listen to your body". It's your mind that creates hamburger cravings!!

Since surviving heart failure I rarely eat canned foods unless they are low in sodium. No canned veggies -fresh or frozen taste better. No boxed mixes, no granola bars unless they are from Trader Joes/Aldis. No packaged mixes -too many chemicals and sodium. When I cook I make everything from scratch except canned bread crumbs.

It is such a good decision to switch away from prepackaged meals...especially when a person can make them from scratch and the food not only tastes better, it has less 'additives' and preservatives. It just has to be healthier in the long run to cook using natural ingredients, right? I will use macaroni and cheese as an example...making a white sauce is so simple. And then just add some shredded white or yellow cheddar and add the macaroni noodles. It may not be the neon color of the boxed stuff, but it sure tastes good! And upping the fiber in our diets is easy if we switch to whole grain products where we can.

Sounds like me. I use very little salt in my cooking. However, I overdose on freshly ground black pepper!!

@mojo5501 it tastes so much better unless I use Annies which has lower sodium and nothing artificial.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:384434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.