Agnostic.com

40 7

Advertising atheism.

Do you advertise your lack of belief? If so, how? If not, why not?

janniegirl 6 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't because it's nobody's fucking business!

Would be interested to learn what are some of the limits of your 'Business'. What if your son wanted to marry a bride of another completely difficult and rigidly peculiar religion? Could it not affect your grandchildren?

@Mcflewster that would be his own business not mine, my grandsons would be my son's sons first so the way he brings them up is also his own business.

@Mofo1953 I am more interested in the effect on you but then like all of this it IS your own business.

@Mcflewster no effect on me whatsoever, because as you are getting the drift by now, I only worry about things that...are my own business. Or, in other words, if it's none of my business why should I give a crap?

@Mofo1953 Sorry for persisting but do you not want to have some influence (gratefully received sort) on any potential grandchildren? Perhaps there are none on any possible horizon for you?

@Mcflewster but I do, by example, I have a couple of grandchildren who love to visit me, we do the normal things kids do with their grandpas, they always see me living life to the fullest, spreading positive vibes all around me, being decent, honest and charitable. Never speaking ill or never doing anything against anyone. That is the influence that counts, worked for me as well so I am sure it will work for them.

@Mofo1953 This is good.

Often, it's by default for refusing to pray and things like that.

Public officials wearing religion on their sleeves has been a big problem. They advertising their family in campaigns is a problem. Keep your finances, faith, family, sexual preferences private. It turns me off when people talk about faith, boyfriend, girlfriend, sex escapades, personal money or even politics at work. You have meetups, and close friends to express yourself.

You might live safer in Auburn near the University than redNeck LaGrange....there are many Atheists scientists there ....tape your Atheist bumper sticker inside your rear window in your left blind spot....install a sensitive car alarm that will go off if xians so much as spit on your window or leave religious lies under your windshield wipers

At this point of my life, I don’t. I kind of approach it like this: I don’t want to hear about their religion, I’m sure they don’t want to hear about my lack of religion. (I also don’t want to hear them talk about how lost I am, and they don’t to hear how dumb they are.) Also, my family, especially my dear mother, doesn’t know; and there is no reason for her to know. I know how much it would hurt her. Now, some of my friends know. If people ask, I might share it with them. But here in the insanely religious thicket of East Texas, it’s easier to avoid the discussion, especially at work, which could have a extremely negative consequences.

It's not worth talking about unless someone asks.

I did enough damage as a evangelical, would it not be hypocrisy to start telling people how to believe now?

No, but I'm not shy nether!

I don't offer that information unless asked because I live in the buybull belt. A liberal atheist in the south has to be careful.

People in this part of the world do not usually advertise their beliefs or lack thereof. So I don't either. I think if I went around saying I didn't believe in a god, I'd get a lot of funny looks, and perhaps a few might say "Ok, ok, whatever works for you," while backing cautiously away.

Not while I'm in my state. I will answer honestly if directly asked but I steer as far away from that topic as I can.

Why would you? Get on with life. If you start saying how wonderful it is to be an atheist you are at the same game table as those trying to convert others to all manner of wayward ideas.

Atheism doesn’t need a label!

I do on my Facebook Page primarily by the use of memes. I do not in public unless asked.

I am an Agnostic, not an Atheist . . . 4000+ Friends on Facebook are well aware of it, along with everyone I know.

I am just curious here; but do you identify as agnostic because you think there is a possibility that there is a god, or gods? Or, is it just a statement about knowledge? I am an agnostic atheist. I am an atheist because I do not believe any gods exist. I am agnostic because, even though no part of me thinks any gods exist, I do not claim to possess all of the knowledge of the universe (or universes); and I accept that making the absolute claim that no gods exists requires evidence just as claiming that one does.

"When I reached intellectual maturity and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; Christian or a freethinker; I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until, at last, I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure they had attained a certain "gnosis" . . . had, more or less successfully, solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble. So I took thought, and invented what I conceived to be the appropriate title of "agnostic." It came into my head as suggestively antithetic to the "gnostic" of Church history, who professed to know so much about the very things of which I was ignorant." Thomas Henry Huxley - - - > The man who coined the term!

Of all the "advertising" since 1967 my favourite remains DIAL THE Atheist 2 minute loop tape 155 different out going messages usually every 7 days....longer if other Atheists joined our meetings loving the content shorter if hot news made a new message urgent .....18 thousand phone calls 31. months...hundreds of calls I took "live" instead of letting the answering machine play ....never did I drop an xian call but most were terrified their rehearsed blather was instantly repudiated by cogent facts destroying alleged faiths....so they hung up to protect their ears from more reality.
..now that cellphones don't wear out magnetic tape all y'all Atheists just get a 2nd phone hand out business cards post on community billboards and advertise on Facebook YouTube et al and challenge the theocracies with facts and humor...shame them away from ignorance violence patriarchy and celebrate our Atheism good news

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:384592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.