Agnostic.com

15 1

The death penalty..

So Trump wants the death penalty for these mass shootings... But aren't most of these killers killed by the police.. ? What would the death penalty actually do? Nothing at all...
Agree or disagree?

Cutiebeauty 9 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know what percentage give up but it is not all of them. I know they need to die, absent a viable defense. Overcrowded prisons and all you know! Seriously, of all death penalty cases I believe these are the most deserved and the least likely to result in a false conviction. PS Do you realize this law already existed and was simply under a moratorium?

It is not a deterrent and it's use is for revenge rather than justice.

He just wants the thin end of the wedge pushing in to federal law, before you know it their will be gallows in the court house and anything and everything will be a capital crime most probably including new laws against talking funny and looking a bit foreign.

You actually pay attention to what comes out of that idiot's mouth?

We need to pay attention, we can't ignore the problem and hope it goes away... Just imagine what he would do if nobody paid attention to what he's doing!

@Cutiebeauty What I'm really asking is: Do you actually believe what comes out of his mouth... And oh yeah, you're right, we have to keep a close watch on the Idiot in Command.

@mischl no I don't believe a word of what he says...

Killing is wrong, no matter who does it.

if someone takes a life on purpous they deserve it right back. why pay shit loads of money to keep them in a concrete room?

You live in UK, we haven't had the death penalty in my lifetime. It is no longer on the books for any crimes. The measure of a society is not how well it treats its most deserving member but how well it treats its least.

@Amisja correct I love my dogs and put them to sleep for there own good. Look at all the animals killed because or for humans.

I believe in an eye for an eye. Taking someone’s life is among the worst crimes ever. If you deliberately go around killing innocent people, you should die.

The death penalty has proven to be useless as deterrent of crimes. The root of the problem is the over 350M arms that Amerikkka owns, more guns than people! It's the politicians who are bitches of the NRA lobby. If as the NRA says, guns are not the problem because good people with guns make this country safe, I ask why is it then that Amerikkka is not the safest country in the world, if we own more arms than all the other countries of the world put together???

When we have video evidence, multiple witnesses to the point of removing all doubt, they should be immediately and publicly lined up against the wall in front of a firing squad, and executed. They should also be excoriated by the press . . . . . these mass shootings would end very quickly. If the dead could speak, you can bet they would not be so charitable.

My thoughts exactly. But the drastic solution applied by Idi Amin in Uganda worked wonders.
The army shot thieves on sight, then left the bodies lying where they had fallen until nightfall before collecting them. Any that were found to still be alive were taken to hospital and treated.
Once there was a good stock of thieves who had survived, they were distributed to towns and cities all over Uganda, and at 2pm on the appointed day every single one was, in public, shot by firing squad.
Unsurprisingly, theft ceased to be a problem!
Drastic, I know, but ....... ??

Drastic? Try criminal and barbaric.

@Mofo1953 What do you think the mass shooters are, if not criminal and barbaric?

@Petter so that makes you want to become one? Please.

@Mofo1953 Pragmatism is important. Is it not better to be cruel and barbaric to a few and thus protect many?
In 1945, two atomic bombs were dropped. The result was abruptly to end a bitterly fought war and prevent the certain death of thousands of Americans, as well as civilians being subjected to the cruelty of Japan's occupying forces.
Japan would still have lost, but not for at least another year of devastation, with far more people maimed or killed.
Do you condemn this pragmatic decision?

@Petter not the same, had we done what the nazis did we would have been genocidal and barbaric, the two bombs, as you said saved lives. What you propose is not saving any lives.

@Mofo1953 Other than future ones. Just like the A-bomb. There is no difference.

@Petter For you obviously. But for the normal and average run of the mill law abiding people, there is a huge difference between going out for vengeance with sadistic and barbaric cruelty on one hand and justice on the other. Evidently you will never see the difference and that is sad but understandable.

My major problem with the death penalty is the government gets lots of things wrong. However in the case where there is a mass shooting, you have many many witnesses, and the probability they will convict and execute the wrong person is extremely small, so I'm OK with it for mass shooters.

BD66 Level 8 Aug 6, 2019

Agree wholeheartedly

Overall, I can not support the death penalty. For anyone. I also do not believe in mass incarceration.

They must die.

But all that those guys want is to die for the cause.
if for miracle they are not killed during action, they will love to use th many public apparitions and trials to speak up and spread the message before dying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:384673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.