Agnostic.com

29 3

Is old age something to look forward to or is it generally filled with loneliness, health problems, lack of independence and despair?

My dad is 87 and although functions well for his age, complains much of the time about health issues. His wife- gradually becoming more crippled. I asked my dad - Is there anything to look forward to in old age? His response was an emphatic “No!” Some of us on here are older, and many of us will be old soon enough. Some of us unfortunately will die young. Do you fear getting old? Is death better accepted when you’re older? Is there some point where you wish to take your own life so you could die the way you want to?

Jesusluvsu 6 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, it gets expensive when you cannot do for yourself, so start saving and investing now. Or make friends with your grandchildren. And it is still better to wake uop stiff and in pain than not to wake up at all.

I am 70- in a few weeks and am having symptoms of old age, not as bright as I was - memory going - quite forgetful achy and pains There is news of bringin into the U.K the right to assisted dying - Strange as our government seem quite oblivious to the people they are killing in tenement fires, rough sleepers, in the snow ,and ice ,shortage of police disability laws where people can't get the help they need .etc.etc.I'm completely for it .

I wouldnt know , I, only 64 !

Old age is simply a final stage we must pass through if we do not die sooner. It is a process of being forced to give up things which were once central to who you were. It is a time of increasing infirmity and in dependence on others. Still, it is a time which still provides much joy and meaning if one is a realist and adjusts one's perspective to find purpose in more limited perspectives.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.