Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK There's Little Evidence That The Infamous 'Cat Parasite' Causes Psychological Changes in Humans, Study Finds

"Back in 2012, The Atlantic ran a profile piece called "How your cat is making you crazy," that outlined the research of Jaroslav Flegr, an evolutionary biologist at Charles University in the Czech Republic, who told journalist Kathleen McAuliffe that, "Toxoplasma might even kill as many people as malaria, or at least a million people a year."
"[The] 'latent' parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents," McAuliffe summarised his hypothesis. "And that’s not all. [Flegr] also believes that the organism contributes to car crashes, suicides, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia."
I am a felinophobe so I am inclined to believe that Czech biologist as I had the dubious pleasure of being exposed to some felinophiles' erratic behaviour.at numerous occasions.

PontifexMarximus 8 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry that kitty's bother you. I had two aunts who were that way - it's not fun. Particularly on the internet which I'm pretty sure is feline powered.

Nice to hear Toxoplasmosis isn't going to make us nuts anytime soon. (I never believed it did).

Having never owned a cat until I was 37 - If it's the cat(s) I've add since - it sure didn't seem to be them. (Also not really crazy - just love cats).
As for having treated people with the conditions stated - equal parts with and without cats. So where was the exposure happening? As the article states - there just isn't a correlation. Good to know.

Cats don't bother me, dog bother me more. I wouldn't even bother me the least if some pet lovers had consensual intercourse with their pets. None of my business. What bothers me is pet lovers' intolerance toward those who do not share their obsession.

@PontifexMarximus Well that would be abuse so hard nope from me.

I'm unsure what you mean by people pushing their pet obsession on you? In word? Or by throwing their super excited dog at you? πŸ˜‚

If there is no evidence, there is no effect. Sounds like he jumped the gun. More studys needed.

There's Little Evidence It could have been worded differently There's Some Evidence

The emphasis is on little … The proponents of the connection would probably reword it and say: "There is evidence … "

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:385085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.