Agnostic.com

9 2

Not believing in god/s began at an early age for me. Brought up in a semi religious family, I was made to go to chapel and take my three siblings with me twice each on Sundays.

Johnrico 3 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didnt have that pressure irreligious family I had a friend when I was in my forties who told me that she was part of the 'We free's' and on Sunday they went 3 times to church adn at home had to sit in their best starchy frocks and read the bible all day - Sounds hellish!

Indeed, religon did not need social media to spread its illusion. Faith does not look at evidence and rationality, it relies on raw emotions ....

Sunday school seems like a unique punishment. School on a Sunday is punishment enough, and then to fill your head full of things that are completely and obviously illogical and fantastical. Ugh! Insults children’s intelligence and wastes their valuable playtime.

Livia Level 6 Mar 19, 2018

Indeed 🙂

Sounds familiar.

I figured church was just a mind game some adults invented to try to control children.
At the time, I assumed all adults grew up and figured out religion was not based on reality. Sadly, I was wrong assuming all adults grew up.

My most pressing memories of mandatory church was having to sit, my head not hight enough to see above the silver and gray ocean of hair and wigs of the elderly masses that filled the pews, and trying to find pockets of air not totally saturated with a combination of cheap perfume, rank deodorant, and the putrid stench of ill-kept hygiene of the masses who, long ago, had lost their sense of smell.

My dad and mom went to church sporadically. But, being practical people, they realized that church took time away from running my dad's newspaper delivery business. That, and that it cost money to become church members.

My family was unique. My grandfather was an atheist. My dad was an agnostic. My mother was a nebulous type who, when she wasn't passed out from drinking, called herself a christian. My sister was hindu. My aunt converted from lutheranism to catholicism because the man she married was catholic. My cousin was a catholic priest. My other uncle was a diehard the devil in Rome protestant.

When we got together for the holidays, my cousin would deliver his standard anti abortion lecture, which, when my other uncle wasn't there, we would just sit and act like it hadn't happened.

But when my other uncle was there, then the magic happened. Picture two seven years olds arguing over which was less disgusting: vomit or feces, and you have a good idea what their arguments were like. I'd sit back, relax, and enjoy myself immensely. The arguments always ended in a draw, with ruffled feathers on both sides.

Wait you had to go with you siblings - but did you parent(s) attend?

This seems even worse than usual to me.

Or a plot by your parents to get you all out of the house at once - under supervision. (I think I just explained why religion is a "thing"? 😉

No parents attending, it was def a plot to get us all out of the house at once. My parents, more so my mother had some wierd contradictory advice for us. Like 'tell the truth' then she would say on some other occasion 'from the foolish you get the truth', I confronted her about that one and said ''so your bringing us up as stupid/foolish are you'

I was made to go so hated it at 4 years old.

I was brought up by one intellectual spiritual type and one atheist. Mum is the atheist and I am so pleased neither of them were into doctrinal institutional religion.

Livia Level 6 Mar 17, 2018

My parents kep t threatening "god would punish me" when I was five-that did it till I denounced god at my confirmation from Sunday School.

During your confirmation class or confirmation ceremony?

During my confirmation class I was a pain in the side of our instructor finding contradictions in the bible and noting, during the last class on the holy trinity, "Well, That's just stupid." The instructor agreed with, "Yea, I know but that's what they want us to teach you."

Confirmation Ceremony - Jewish Sunday School

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.