Agnostic.com

14 2

Do you like to go fishing?

Through out my life this is one activity I have always enjoyed. Some of my earliest memories are of going fishing with my father with varying degrees of success. I still enjoy it when ever I can in fact I own my own trout pond. I have spent countless hour in boats, canoes and hiking mountain streams often releasing every thing I catch and occassionally cooking some up for a meal at the water's edge or even on board. The thing is that it is more about being about the activity than it is about catching the fish. How do you feel about it is you like fishing? Or why don't you like it?

HeathenFarmer 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love fishing; I just wish I could catch more fish.

Catching fish has never been what fishing is about for me, I can catch fish in my trout pond anytime I want it is more like harvesting than fishing. Real fishing has a Zen quality to it or I am just not that good at it, LOL.

We have salmon, Chinook,Coho and Sockeye, Lake trout, Sheefish, Rainbow trout, Grayling, Dolly Varden and Arctic Char. Along the coast you can find Halibut Ice fishing during the winter is common here as well.18 to 24 " is legal for fresh water and Halibut, well "Halibut taken by anglers are generally 15 to 20 lb (6.8 to 9.1 kg) in weight; but fish over 150 lb (68 kg) are regularly caught. The current Alaska state record for a sport-caught halibut is 459 lb (208 kg), and a fish must weigh at least 250 lb (113 kg) to qualify for the state's trophy fish program."

I used to love fishing and grew up among many rivers. Unfortunately, I am disabled, unable to drive and so have limited opportunities to leave town anymore. There is a 2,400 acre wildlife sanctuary close by that has areas where the public may go but in winter I tend to stay close to home. I live in the arctic and there are many large fish here that are good eating besides the thrill of the catch.

I am delighted you enjoy this. It's just not part of my experience. I grew up in the city and have mostly lived in cities as an adult as well. I love being on the water, but have never wished to fish, and with relatively limited leisure time and a LONG list of other things I'd like to see and do, I'm not likely to start.

I used to hate fishing until I discovered beer.

I never drink while I fish, I enjoy it stone cold sober.

@HeathenFarmer I can't imagine how anybody could enjoy fishing while sober, but that's just me. Hiking and camping are great ways to enjoy the outdoors, but fishing just ruins it.

@captainphilbo A good stream fishing oxidation can include hiking , camping and sometimes even rock climbing.

@HeathenFarmer I'll do the drinking while you do the fishing, and we'll have a great time together.

@captainphilbo Just don't pass out and fall in.

I would totally go fishing.

So, what kind of fishing is there, in the area where you live?

@HeathenFarmer prolly toxic stuff LOL,
Walleye

@Qualia Walleye are one of the best eating fresh water fish, too bad. They are also a great sport fish. They were almost fished to extinction here in the late nineties but Fish and Wildlife banned the fishing of them and they made a come back.

@HeathenFarmer my BIL gets Walleye not sure where. It must still be kosh here, idk. I've not been fishing since I was a kid 😮

Love it, don't care if I never catch anything, often I don't. Mostly I don't.

At times I see it as a form of meditation when I fish in place other than my pond where I see it as harvesting a crop since it is the one place I fish where I never come home empty handed.

I grew up fishing with my grandfather. Later, I got my husband re-intetested in the sport. We did a LOT of fishing together, Large Mouth Bass in lakes, Smallies and Catfish in rivers, trout in streams. I lost my fishing buddy to cancer in 2006, and have not fished much since. Miss it, though.

Zster Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Other than trout I have never caught any of those, I did once hook a bass inNorthern Manitoba but, it got off.

Ha! Many bass are expert at shaking out a hook!

I used to love it then one day I realised how much I liked fish and the stress pulling them in must cause and just stopped.

Your a cool dude I like you

thank you, my friend,

Like you, I have fond memeroeies of leartning to fish with my father. Just being on a stream, lake or on salt water is a joy in itsself. But, the experiencing of a big fish on the line, sensing iuts actions, dealing with its varied attempts to escape, and landing it successfully is simply magnificent. I also greatly greatly enjoy cllking and eating fish I have caught -- particularly in the format of a southern style fish fry, with hushpuppies, cole slaw, and grits.

You do know that hooking a fish injures it, and they often die after being released, if for nothing else, being overstressed.

Fish are intelligent, sentient animals that feel pain, as are the hapless grubs people spear on fishing hooks.
Seems there is a better way to entertain oneself other than the torture and killing of animals who never did you any harm. If someone were starving, sure, but one could use a net in that case, and kill the fish quickly afterward.

You are welcome to have your own beliefs, but I disagree. Netting fish is a slow death for that fish stuck in a gill net they slowly suffocate because they cannot pump water over their gills. Caught on a hook they feel resistance of the line and little more then they are released or swiftly killed. Catch and release does not kill fish, in the wild here it was found to kill less than 1/2 % of the fish hooked. In my pond because it is a closed environment I don't allow catch and release because there is a high risk of infection.

@HeathenFarmer Gillnets are cruel also; I meant the types of small casting nets used by the Thai. But catch and release is hooking the fish through its flesh, fighting it until it is tired, etc. then releasing it, injured, exhausted, easy prey for its predators.

The Cruelty of Catch-and-Release Fishing [peta.org]

@birdingnut Sorry, the only PETA I subscribe to is People Eating Tasty Animals. the same people that support PETA are the same people that are responsible the massive destruction of the rain forests to produce vegetable protein, so excuse me if I can take them seriously.

@HeathenFarmer WOW. Some of the PETA people are irresponsible, but that doesn't mean what they say isn't true. I have zero respect for people who think harming animals is a great recreational activity.

@jioo087 The hook goes into the flesh of the fish when it's being caught for caught and release. People who think animals can't feel pain, who get entertainment from hurting things aren't people I respect.

I worked as a fisherman on a beam trawler for years , I,m afraid fish were just money to me .
Love to eat it though .

No it's immoral and unnecessary. Fish is also unhealthy.

Not quite sure where you are getting your information but, Health Canada disagrees entirely.

@HeathenFarmer Mercery in fish? Pollutants? Cooking flesh is cancer causing in of itself.

[cancer.gov]

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

"CONCLUSION: This study suggests that the consumption of even relatively small amounts of fish is a favorable indicator of the risk of several cancers, especially of the digestive tract."

*There has been multiple studies with the same conclusion but it doesn't get publicized because of lobbying and monopoly agencies such as the USDA.
Do you seek the truth or just good news about your bad habits. If the formers the answer do you own research pal.
[thetruthaboutcancer.com]

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Your welcome.

@HeathenFarmer does health Canada say catching fish is moral or good for the environment too?

@JoelLovell Health Canada has nothing to do with fishing but, mercury levels in most of our fish is extremely low. As for morals that is up to the individual however, fishing has no effect on the environment if it is regulated and stocks are monitored, what is more the stocking of fish that is done here provides food sources to wildlife as well as recreation and food for people, many streams rivers and lake were devote of large fish or any fish when colonists arrived. Many large mountain rivers and streams had no fish at all due to large escarpment preventing downstream migration.

@HeathenFarmer in fact there's research if you look supporting health benefits of smoking 1970s, alcohol, butter/lard, cows milk/cheese/eggs and of course MEAT. Only thing is these studies are all based on research sponsored by organisations within the field. In science we call that biased, conflict of interest, doctoring data.

@HeathenFarmer even your username has conflict of interest written all over it

@JoelLovell So, glad you don't eat my conflict of interest produce good luck eating your lead contaminated English garden food.

@HeathenFarmer good luck eating your carcinogenic fake food

@HeathenFarmer that dry ass retort shows you have nothing to say to logical aruements. #meathead

@JoelLovell I grow my own and it is delicious, so, I will. If you are so, worried about carcinogen you should move from southern England between centuries of coal burning, lead paint and bombings it is one of the most carcinogenic environments in the world.

@JoelLovell It is pointless debating with someone that offers up the morality like the deluded religious do and then resorts to name calling like a child. You seem to be one sad little angry man, I feel sorry for you, my friend.

I think I would just enjoy the trip. Being still and quiet for that long .... I havent tried it but I do think fly fising looks interesting

I fly fish, and it approaches being an art form, especially using dry flies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39126
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.