Agnostic.com

14 2

Do you practice any rituals?

Rituals were very important in my former religion and I still have many friends who take them seriously. I've been invited to a baptism tomorrow and I've been thinking about whether there is value in rituals outside of religious belief. I could see using a baptism type ceremony to celebrate significant changes in your life, outside of any religious context. For myself, I process through my past trauma by writing in journals and then burn the journal after it's filled up. It's a symbolic way of letting go of the past. Also, even outside of religious belief, people tend to perform ceremonies for important life events, like marriage and death. I'm wondering if any of you practice rituals and find purpose in them.

UpsideDownAgain 7 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I practice a ritual that was forced upon me... every day I have to check my blood glucose at least four times and have to inject insulin everytime before I eat, thanks to Type 1 Diabetes.

I've noticed that I have a number of rituals that I've acquired all on my own. When there's something I like, something that works for me, it seems natural to repeat a series of steps consciously - it's comforting in a way.

I can't walk out my front door without putting my hand in my pocket to make sure my keys are there. Same with the car. Those rituals come from some VERY memorable experiences where I failed to have my keys when I needed them.

Whenever I put on a pair of shoes, I've observed that I start with the left foot. If I don't, it doesn't feel right. I've tried to reverse it and it doesn't feel right. Try it yourself - when you go to put your shoes on, whatever shoe you pick up first, put it down and start with the other.

I wasn't raised with any religious rituals that I remember. It never occurs to me to say "grace" before I eat, even though I eat regularly with a couple who always do it.

My first husband rarely ever forgot anything while I tend to be absent minded. As a result, I always checked and double checked things like the car keys and my wallet while he didn't bother. Because of all my checking, during our marriage he was the only one who ever locked himself out. He hated having to call me and ask for me to come help him out because he made a big deal about my forgetfulness. Serves him right.

I really like your idea of burning your journals as a way to cut with the past, and I’m very sorry about your past trauma. I don’t practice traditional rituals, and I try to practice the less traditional ones when I can, but I found my girls enjoyed – even relied – on our own family rituals. We always began school break evenings by grabbing dinner, piling into my bed, and watching a new anime. I was tickled that they wanted this tradition to continue when they came home for college breaks. It was fun, and we all had a chance to reconnect. Some rituals last just as long as we want them to. During the autumns of senior high, first period of every Friday was a pep rally for the rest of the school - but our group assembled for a pancake breakfast at my house on those days, and I kept flipping as long as they were eating. It was a blast. I think how and whether you celebrate rituals – even birth and death and marriage - should be entirely up to you, and should only be celebrated if they add something of value to your life. They should center and ground you, or cleanse and refresh, but I don’t believe they should be an emotional noose.

Thanks so much for sharing. I've also found my kids love the rituals, or the family traditions. I remember my own family traditions from growing up. I think it's a way to connect.

On June 6th each year I am quiet and contemplative. I don't plan this, and I was not directly involved in that huge event so many years ago, but I think long and hard about humankind's biggest evolutionary failure. We haven't progressed beyond our propensity to send huge masses of people against each other to kill.

I personally hate them. They are important to many people such a s graduation. I just had no desire for people to tell me what I already know I have done. I could use the time working on the next project!

I abhor graduations. I find value in other rituals but there's something about graduations that I just can't stand.

@UpsideDownAgain maybe its all the blahh blahh blahh. Everyone just wants to get out of there and they take forever while self important people have to expose bullshit that no one will remember. Just mail the damn document to me so I can focus my time on using the damn thing.

@UpsideDownAgain For many years I have to deal with the mandatory attendance for faculty of graduation. In the monkey cloth. It is hot (Florida), boring and inconvenient. There are positive sides. The black costume goes great to my blond hair and blue eyes! Lol. Sometimes I almost cry, I'm not a sentimental woman, when the entire family of an undergraduate student of my hugs and thanks me. People are different.

Yes,I attempt to ignore the whining liberals on this site

Same here.

I enjoy dressing in crotchless, cupless sexy lingerie before sex. It is a great ritual.

zesty Level 7 Aug 20, 2019

Okay, now the crush is firmly eatablished. I simply love ritual. Hope I meet one who observes them all the time! I had one girl friend that just loved lingerie. I just laughed to myself as it did so much for me she only wore it a couple of minutes at a time! No need to wash!

I have kids. Their birthdays and Christmas will do, thanks.

I have no daily or weekly rituals, but I do try to make time to participate in seasonal pagan festivals in the woods celebrating solstices and equinoxes. I also would happily participate in any celebration of a birth, marriage, or memorialization of a life.

It makes sense to me to celebrate/honor the turning of the seasons and the stages of life. I like to do that w the pagan community bc they have a knack for it and bc they accept me and my atheism.

I like the idea of celebrating seasons as well. I always intend to but then never do anything. I forget. But I'm not allowed to forget Christmas or birthdays.

I have the sleep, get up, eat, get ready, and go to work ritual. It seldom changes.

I try to do something that recognizes the winter solstice, and summer.. if I can remember. It’s usually only significant to me, thus lonesome.

My father always keep us in tune with the Solstices, and still will, if I check in with him.. My daughters will check in on a Solstice as well … to remind me, ‘we’re in tune with the world’ 🙂

Varn Level 8 Aug 20, 2019

I keep track of the solstices and the equinoxes, and meteor showers. aside from that sport mode, low range and punch it! (2019 vernal solstice)

Sailing and wilderness camping serve as re-centering rituals for me (in a very informal way).

skado Level 9 Aug 20, 2019

Those sound wonderful.

If the person being baptized is important to you, go and celebrate the joy of the parents. If not, just an acquaintance, I wouldn't bother. My son turned to religion when he was married because it was important to his wife, and became almost more so when they were separated due to his infidelity. So when his sons, my grandsons were baptized, I went to the service and sat quietly and shared their moment with them. They know I am an Atheist and I am sure would not have been angry if I had not showed up. But that is not how I do things, just as I would show up at a wedding or a funeral of someone important to me, but not as a participant. When my father died, I was in charge of the arrangements and had to give eulogies (he had requested three receptions for the people in various cities we had lived in). The first was at the church my mother attended in Florida. My eulogy was a celebration of his life and strength, no mention of god or heaven. The other services were in a community hall and an Amvet's. Dad was, though he never said it, most likely an Agnostic. So I don't regret any of the time spent in that church any more than I do the other locations and it was important for my mother.
If you have your own feelings straight as to what you do or do not believe, there should be no fear of those who's beliefs you don't share. Just go with the flow, stand up, sit down when required and smile a lot with the knowledge that those couple of drops of water or even dunking will not define the future beliefs of the person being baptized. You will be their voice of reason as they grow.

Strangely enough before I go to sleep, I bless myself, and I don't even believe in god. Old habits die hard.

I still find myself mentally praying sometimes, something I did a lot as a believer. I figure if it brings you comfort, why not? If no god is there, there's no harm in doing it or not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:391539
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.