Agnostic.com

37 2

Which do you prefer, books or ereading? Why?

I'm old school! I'm more comfortable with a book & I find ereading gets tiresome quickly!

atheist 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love my kindle and do most of my reading on it but if Ireally enjoy a book I will buy a hard copy for my bookshelf!

@atheist exactly!?

Books... been around for centuries, that is my final answer.

@atheist you still need a signal or/and electricity. Besides... have you ever beat up somebody with an ebook? ...now a bible or a phonebook are pretty convenient an useful as a weapon. Ebook will never be a work of art. I had in my hands once a book over 250 years old of Davinci drawings... a family heirloom. Priceless to that woman and worth plenty of money. I admit I would had marry her for that book. Ebooks are just a data tool that could be deleted with a click. Sometimes change is not better.

I've never read an E-book, so I like real books.

Ereading. I was reading a tree born book the other day and found myself frustrated when tapping an unfamiliar word on the page didn't bring up a definition. Paper lovers can rave all they want about how there's nothing quite as pleasing to their senses as the smell of old mold. For my part, I'll take a book whose font is easier to adjust to my eyes any day.

I read paper books when I can, often while eating dinner at a restaurant. I especially like to read paper books in public. It is a tiny social engineering mission I have to get people really reading, especially reading non-fiction. I have noticed that people will pay some attention to my reading a paper book and that they ignore it when I read an ebook or listen to an audiobook. The paper book can also be an icebreaker to a question or full conversation. The cover of a paper book is often an "attention getter" that aids the above actions, and it is also an advertisement of your thinking. I get more than a few glances when I am at IHOP with a book like The End Of Faith. This lets them know "There are Atheists among them!" I have often been the first Atheist that somebody has ever met, and often it is due to reading an Atheist book in public.

I read ebooks most often. I like being able to take notes, search, quote, highlight, look up things as I am reading. Plus, the portability and lower price are big pluses! I don't know exactly how many books I "read", but it is in considerable excess of the 809 listed on my FaceBook page (many of my chosen books are not " popular" with FB - I could probably add another 30%). That translates into serious money!

And I listen to audiobooks when I am doing something else, usually. I reserve my audiobooks for fiction, which is almost entirely Sci-Fi, though some of the classics (Mark Twain, Steinbeck, Dickens, and such), and nonfiction which does not require graphics.

Here are done screenshots from my audiobook and ebook lists.

I just like the feel of the paper and like to collect the books I read.

@atheist absolutely! I love bookstores especially second hand ones

I have id say about a hundred books and I've read them all. there mostly about serial killers, crime, assassins and death camps etc. I love fiction on film but reality in books. I just find the criminal mind and what people happily do to each other intriguing.

Never done an ebook.. I like real authentic books with pages you can turn and hold in your hand.

@atheist yes exactly... nothing will ever replace a book or the true feeling of that.

I like both. Books for work while I'm eating lunch or late night to get away from the screen. Ebooks are great when going to the doctor or taking my 93 year old mother to the hairdresser or doctor.

BillF Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

I prefer books, however; I’ve fallen in lust with Audible. I never got the hang of kindle reading or e-reading.

I love the convenience of e-books. I do not read books as much as I should and this helps to resolve that. I have, unfortunately had to get most of my reading done via web sources. A bit of a sad commentary on my life.

It depends. When reading fiction, definitely turning the real pages is where I like to be but doing research for fun , I prefer computer allowing me to flip with hyperlinks,
With research , it is the content I am after, with a novel it is the inner feel I seek . To be captured within the pages and smell the action in the print.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

I've tried the ebooks thing and I just can't get used to it. Nothing feels the same to me as lounging around with a physical book.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39248
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.